PDA

View Full Version : Defending AT hikers rights.

Avalanche1
11-29-2011, 16:48
Non-hikers bring up controversial subjects about backpacking the AT that we should be prepared to answer. Examples: “Should people be denied the right to hitchhike?” “Should development be permitted next to the AT?”

Can you suggest other subjects?
At a later date I’d like to know what we can say in response to these subjects.

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 16:58
a. there is no "right to hitchhike".laws are laws and vary from state to state.
b.we all know the AT is a corridor, and atc doesnt have much pull about development adjacent to the trail that they dont own.

Kookork
11-29-2011, 17:11
what is the penalty of hitch hiking in forbidden states?

coach lou
11-29-2011, 17:21
What to do about townies trashing the shelters?

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 17:29
what is the penalty of hitch hiking in forbidden states?i dont know that people actually get arrested or fined for hitching,just chased away by cops when you're caught. and even in states where its not legal, Ive still gotten rides.but how can you call it a right?its a privilege, especially considering what we look and smell like coming off the trail.privilege? it might be a miracle in some cases.a hitch is a bit of trail magic

B-Rabbit
11-29-2011, 17:33
I think both A and B depend on the local's ability to respect the hiker community, including police. We gain more respect by being respectful, appreciative, and minimizing entitled attitudes. Follow simple rules: Pack in pack out, tip generously, use "no trace" camp methods etc. When it come down to it there is no law protecting what we do.

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 17:38
I think both A and B depend on the local's ability to respect the hiker community, including police. We gain more respect by being respectful, appreciative, and minimizing entitled attitudes. Follow simple rules: Pack in pack out, tip generously, use "no trace" camp methods etc. When it come down to it there is no law protecting what we do.
great answer.
we are all ambassadors of the AT.the better job we do representing ourselves as suggested above, the more well received we become.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 20:14

Someday you will learn to put a big ****e-eating grin, the next time a cop car comes around the corner. Look him or her square in the eye and stick out your thumb.

Lion King
11-29-2011, 22:07
Death By twinkie

Lion King
11-29-2011, 22:11
i dont know that people actually get arrested or fined for hitching,just chased away by cops when you're caught. and even in states where its not legal, Ive still gotten rides.but how can you call it a right?its a privilege, especially considering what we look and smell like coming off the trail.privilege? it might be a miracle in some cases.a hitch is a bit of trail magic

Actually a Jackhole cop in Harpers Ferry ticketed a AT Hiker last year or the year before as they were trying to leave town to go resupply and I reported his sorry ass to the LP at the ATC and they took care of that issue.

Same cop is a jerk to Ron at the Outfitter on more than one occasion

mountainman
11-29-2011, 22:22
which states is hitchhiking illegal, besides N. Y?

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 22:28
Death By twinkie

Ahh you have not done this - OH THE HUMANITY.....

Avalanche1
11-30-2011, 16:34
Usually, hitchhiking is not illegal. However, some laws prohibit soliciting rides when the hitchhiker is on the roadway. "Roadway" is variously defined. For example, Georgia law defines roadway as: "that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the berm or shoulder." That comes from Hitchhiker's Road Guide to U.S. Hitchhiking Laws. They also point out that states usually bar hitchhiking on interstate highways and turnpikes which prohibit pedestrians. Even though some states allow hitchhiking, there may be metropolitan areas in those states that bar hitchhiking.

What controversial subjects--other than hitchhiking--should hikers backpacking the AT be prepared to discuss? (Yeah, I know we should avoid anything controversial if possible, but sometimes we may be called upon to defend our rights. This is your chance to raise the issues so we can discuss them.)

hikerboy57
11-30-2011, 16:39
im still confused as to what rights hikers have that noone else does.the right to trail magic?

DavidNH
11-30-2011, 16:45
Long distance AT section hikers and AT thru hikers don't have any special rights. Development can occur right up to the trail unless land is preserved. We hikers should feel fortunate that there are affordable hostels along the trail to stay at. Every hostel could charge 50 bucks a night. It's their right should they choose to do so. Hikers have no special rights to defend.

HiKen2011
11-30-2011, 16:59
Long distance AT section hikers and AT thru hikers don't have any special rights. Development can occur right up to the trail unless land is preserved. We hikers should feel fortunate that there are affordable hostels along the trail to stay at. Every hostel could charge 50 bucks a night. It's their right should they choose to do so. Hikers have no special rights to defend.

True, no different than anyone else...nor should we be.

hikerboy57
11-30-2011, 17:03
you have the right to remain silent.:rolleyes:

HiKen2011
11-30-2011, 17:07
you have the right to remain silent.:rolleyes:

And if I give up that right?????????????:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-30-2011, 17:10
you have the right to remain silent.:rolleyes:...but i didn't have the ability

hikerboy57
11-30-2011, 17:12
...but i didn't have the ability
none of us do.

nufsaid
11-30-2011, 17:19
Non-hikers bring up controversial subjects about backpacking the AT that we should be prepared to answer. Examples: “Should people be denied the right to hitchhike?” “Should development be permitted next to the AT?”

Can you suggest other subjects?
At a later date I’d like to know what we can say in response to these subjects.

Did you just get kicked out of an occupy camp??

hikerboy57
11-30-2011, 17:29
And if I give up that right?????????????:rolleyes:
you post on WB like the rest of us

mudhead
11-30-2011, 20:06

Written warning is the worst I ever got. Many years ago however.

...but i didn't have the ability

That's why they call you tater salad.

CrumbSnatcher
11-30-2011, 20:20
the next time a cop car comes around the corner. Look him or her square in the eye and stick out your thumb.[/QUOTE]
i did that coming out of north woodstock in 99' local yocal pulled over and gave me a ride,ask where i was going and i told him, told me to get in after putting my pack in the trunk. once in PA. back to trail by state trooper, same deal, pack in the trunk & ask if i had a weapon.

Cookerhiker
11-30-2011, 20:38
"Controversial Subjects" - yeah, there's plenty of them, many of which we can't discuss on WB. And since we usually don't agree among ourselves, most of these subjects do not lend themselves to a single monolithic "hikers' response" against the OP's straw man who's threatening our "rights." Speaking of which, the only "right" we have apart from those who chose not to hike is that the AT corridor is protected land and we have the right to hike on it. That does not mean the right to trash it or disregard attendant rules.

BTW as a "controversy," hitchhiking ranks pretty low.

hikerboy57
11-30-2011, 20:44
turns out the op is a former lawyer. go figure.can i sue the at for tripping over a root?

BreakWind
11-30-2011, 21:50
What to do about townies trashing the shelters?

who cares? you actually stay in them?? okay, here you go, maybe this will make you feel better - tell them only hikers are allowed to trash those dirty wooden eyesores

coach lou
11-30-2011, 22:40
We all should care. The shelters are part of the AT, and if they are trashed it brings down the whole.