PDA

View Full Version : Mt LeConte Shelter Question

WeBeHikin
11-29-2011, 19:22
I know that Mt LeConte has banned campfires. Does the shelter have a fireplace as most others and if so are fires allowed in the fireplace? I stayed in the old shelter 16 years ago and it had a fireplace. However, back then there were not any restrictions on campfires. I have not been since the shelter was remodeled.
Thanks

Highstepper
11-29-2011, 21:01
I does have a fireplace....and a sign hanging above it that says "No Fires"

Rain Man
11-29-2011, 21:02
The thing to do is to ask the authorities. Go straight to "the horse's mouth," in other words.

Rain Man

ken209
11-30-2011, 11:37
I know that Mt LeConte has banned campfires. Does the shelter have a fireplace as most others and if so are fires allowed in the fireplace? I stayed in the old shelter 16 years ago and it had a fireplace. However, back then there were not any restrictions on campfires. I have not been since the shelter was remodeled.
Thanks
Yes there is a fireplace but, it has been closed up, people were cutting green trees and trying to burn them.

atj_Hiker
12-01-2011, 01:06
I was just there Sep 2010 & didn't know I couldn't build a fire until the day off. I'd been building fires at the other shelters & had no other way of cooking food so it was a rough night. If I go again, I'll be taking a small propane tank & small burner to cook the food. I assume you're wanting it to take away the chill due to the season so you're out of luck. That's what happens when hikers start cutting trees instead of finding dead branches.

Ewker
12-01-2011, 10:26
Yes there is a fireplace but, it has been closed up, people were cutting green trees and trying to burn them.

not only that but people were burning their trash and food in the fireplace.

WeBeHikin
12-02-2011, 10:47
Thanks All

I checked further and discovered that indeed ALL fires are banned. Oh well, its still an amazing place to go. Can't wait to get there.

gollwoods
12-03-2011, 16:57
take 10 bucks with you and get the day hiker lunch if you want to sit in the lodge dining room and drink coffee and eat.

liteweight
12-03-2011, 20:52
Lodge is closed for winter until mid March.

tenn_hiker
02-14-2012, 23:22
i went by that shelter on a day hike a while back.. it was the most disgusting shelter.. there we piles of crap everywhere.. less than a foot from the shelter.. other than that i guess it wasn't that bad..

Chaco Taco
02-15-2012, 08:09
Fireplace is blocked off now. The shelter has taken a beating but its big and will keep you out of the winds that can rage at the top. The Boulevard Trail is awesome and different than anything else in the park.

i gotta say that this shelter is pretty funky too. The smell each of the times I have been there has gotten progressively worse.

Def no fires

springerfever
02-15-2012, 08:39
i went by that shelter on a day hike a while back.. it was the most disgusting shelter.. there we piles of crap everywhere.. less than a foot from the shelter.. other than that i guess it wasn't that bad..

That is absolutely pathetic. There is a privy not 100 yards from the shelter. It is an incredible location. Go to Myrtle Point for sunrise and CliffTop for sunset. And don't forget your camera!!

The Cleaner
02-15-2012, 08:46
Fireplace is blocked off now. The shelter has taken a beating but its big and will keep you out of the winds that can rage at the top. The Boulevard Trail is awesome and different than anything else in the park.

i gotta say that this shelter is pretty funky too. The smell each of the times I have been there has gotten progressively worse.

Def no fires Just one of the reasons I don't hike there any more.The green tree cutters are now on the AT.On my last maintenance trip to Little Laurel shelter someone cut a pine tree right in front of the shelter....there used to be a whole bunch of small pines in front of the shelter....now all gone to the firepit....

Rain Man
02-15-2012, 13:10
Go to Myrtle Point for sunrise and CliffTop for sunset. And don't forget your camera!!

Absolutely!

Rain:sunMan

TROUT BUM
04-20-2012, 01:06
Myrtle point at sunrise is one of the places I want some of my ash's thrown from,Just can't tell the park rangers. The Clifftop's at sunset would be nice to.

SassyWindsor
04-20-2012, 17:36
Hope you have better luck than some friends of mine at this shelter. Right after some work had been done at this shelter some nearby friends of mine went up to check it out and spend the night. Seems some group had beat them there and claimed their reservation entitled them, and only them, the use of said shelter. I've never heard of this type of reservation and hope it was just a bunch of jacka**'s being just that. If it is true, then never mind.

Emerson Bigills
04-20-2012, 20:16
Leconte shelter, like others in the GSMNP, require a reservation unless you qualify as a thru-hiker by their definition. I have been told that rangers do fine campers for being there without reservations in some cases. Pretty nice shelter, great mountain.

I got a kick out of some of the Leconte Lodge guests walking by the shelter before dawn on their way to Myrtle Point and loudly talking about the crude conditions of the shelter while shining their flashlights on those of us in the shelter trying to finish up a good night's rest. Staying in the lodges (just a few hundred yards from the shelter) is a bit of roughing for some of the beautiful people in Knoxville. It is not uncommon to see some going up the Alum Cave Bluff Trail huffing and puffing, as they have bitten off a bit more than they bargained for. The good news is the more people that recognize the beauty of those mountains, the better for all of us.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2012, 19:57
Hope you have better luck than some friends of mine at this shelter. Right after some work had been done at this shelter some nearby friends of mine went up to check it out and spend the night. Seems some group had beat them there and claimed their reservation entitled them, and only them, the use of said shelter. I've never heard of this type of reservation and hope it was just a bunch of jacka**'s being just that. If it is true, then never mind.
That is not the policy and they knew better. People need to utilize the national park websites. All the questions you need answered and the stipulations are all there too. This type of thing really pisses me off

SmokyMtn Hiker
05-31-2012, 09:03
Campfires on NOT permitted on Mount LeConte anywhere, shelter or otherwise. There is a new privy that was just built back in April '12 but have not been up there yet to check it out, the old privy which was basically a porta-john was pretty rank to say the least.

HooKooDooKu
08-15-2012, 14:04
Myrtle point at sunrise is one of the places I want some of my ash's thrown from,Just can't tell the park rangers. The Clifftop's at sunset would be nice to.

Little late to the party, but in case someone comes across this latter...

The park does allow the scattering of human ashes in the park. A permit is required (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/permits.htm)
The following regulations can be found here (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/2011-GRSMNP-Compendium-FINAL-7-01-2011.pdf):

Section 2.62
MEMORIALIZATION
(b) The scattering of human ashes from cremation will
be permitted pursuant to a permit issued by the park and
pursuant to the following conditions:
 The chosen site must be no less than 200 feet from any buildings or historic building, structure or cemetery. sites, including historic structures and cemetaries.
 The chosen site must be no less than 100 feet away from any other structures and developed areas, e.g. visitor centers, roads, trails, campgrounds and picnic areas.
 The chosen site must be no less than 150 feet from a stream or other watercourse.
 The ashes must be scattered and not deposited in any type of container. Cremains may not be buried even without a container.
 No marker or memorial of any sort may be placed or left at the site. The placement or planting of real or artificial flowers, memorial trees, brass markers,
wooden crosses, etc. is prohibited.
 A copy of the permit must accompany the person performing the scattering.
 Cremation must be accomplished in accordance with state law.

Airman
08-15-2012, 14:21
After reading all this, campfires are not permitted. I spent the night in the shelter last month and thought it was a nice place. Wasn't trashed like others said. One thing I didn't know was that you don't have to take much water because they have a faucet at the lodge that gives treated water. And you may go in the lodge no matter if staying there or not. They do have bag lunches that you may purchase. Happy camping.

LeConte
08-24-2012, 18:25
I have been backpacking and hiking to LeConte for more then 40 years. At times fires were allowed in the fireplace at LeConte Shelter. Then the fireplaces was closed up and the burning of anything could not take place and was not allowed. Then a fire ring appeared in front of the shelter and a lot of trash was found in and around the fire ring. The fireplace in the shelter was opened because a lawyer suggested to the Park Service that closing the fireplace went somehow against the "...free access" requirement that was a key point of the vast amount of money Laura Spillman Memorial Fund gave to match funds that had been raised to establish the park. So the fireplace is open but no burning can take place in the fireplace. Two months ago I saw both the fireplace and the fire ring in front of the shelter in use. Fires should never be built in the national park unless it is a matter of life or death.

sliderule
02-25-2013, 20:38
Leconte shelter, like others in the GSMNP, require a reservation unless you qualify as a thru-hiker by their definition.

If a hiker is at the Mt. Leconte shelter, he is NOT a thruhiker, by NPS definition.

Ox97GaMe
02-25-2013, 20:59
If you are at LeConte shelter, you are 7 miles off the AT and therefore do not fall under the 'thru-hiker' definition. The same is true for Kephart and Laurel Gap shelters.

Ox97GaMe
02-25-2013, 21:04
The park is closing up fireplaces at high volume shelters because there is a problem with hikers continually cutting green saplings to use for firewood. At IceWater shelter, there were over 400 new sampling stumps within a 2 year period. A crew went up and cut those stumps to ground level last summer. Since that time, almost 100 new stumps have been identified. For this reason, the park is considering cementing the fireplace at that shelter. The rule is that only downed trees should be used for firewood. Around shelters there is very little available downed wood for very long.

Del Q
02-25-2013, 21:37
I heard from a reliable source that even the bears are staying away from this shelter.

.......... the vote has been cast.

scope
02-25-2013, 21:50
If a hiker is at the Mt. Leconte shelter, he is NOT a thruhiker, by NPS definition.

If you are at LeConte shelter, you are 7 miles off the AT and therefore do not fall under the 'thru-hiker' definition. The same is true for Kephart and Laurel Gap shelters.

So, if I'm a thru hiker and I want to take the 5.3m detour to LeConte, what does the technical definition really mean? Would I be ticketed for staying at the shelter if it weren't full, or if it was full, camping in the vicinity? While I understand the technical definition, don't those with reservations take precedence anyway? So, what would be the point?

max patch
02-25-2013, 22:00
Only thru hikers, as defined by the GSMNP, can pass thru the park without specifying specific shelters and specific dates at each. One of the requirements is that the hiker stay on the AT. So if you are sleeping at LeConte you are not a thru hiker as defined and your permit is not valid. You are illegal and subject to fine.

wornoutboots
02-26-2013, 09:38
This brings up an interesting thought? Mt LeConte Lodge has a store, I wonder if you could grab a small resupply there? It's a great hike & would be Neat Alternative for a & zero if needed. You could by pass Gatlinburg or Cherokee altogether. You would have to make arraignments @ a year in advance, I hear the place is book solid all year long?? Has anyone ventured over there on their thru??

elray
02-26-2013, 11:16
The "store" stocks dated t-shirts and sweatshirts for the day hiking crowd mainly so they can prove that they climbed Mt. Leconte. They also have a small selection of candy bars and trinkets but nothing you could call re-supply items. A box lunch meal is available for purchase as previously mentioned, just inquire at the dining hall. My wife and I reserve a cabin up there at least once a year and the place is definitely a must see historical landmark, rustic and romantic, but hardly "roughing it".

Dogwood
02-26-2013, 11:36

not only that but people were burning their trash and food in the fireplace.

What a surprise. No wonder why campfires and ANY firewood collecting are banned in some areas despite there being NO dry forest fire hazards.

take 10 bucks with you and get the day hiker lunch if you want to sit in the lodge dining room and drink coffee and eat.

Yes, not bad. Nice way to get out of the cold blustery winds too. Sometimes the lodge has food from guests that don't vshow up and will oiffer nice sit down meals too.

Def no fires

Yes, or continue on the Boulevard Trail to the AT NOBO to Charles Bunion for some gorgeous sunsets too.

That is absolutely pathetic. There is a privy not 100 yards from the shelter. It is an incredible location. Go to Myrtle Point for sunrise and CliffTop for sunset. And don't forget your camera!!

Dogwood
02-26-2013, 11:43
If a SMALL warming/cooking campfire is desired try Icewater Springs Shelter on the AT which is a short day hike from the Mt LeConte Shelter. It's on the way to Charles Bunion. Use ISS as your base shelter possibly branching out from there.

Dogwood
02-26-2013, 11:48
So, if I'm a thru hiker and I want to take the 5.3m detour to LeConte, what does the technical definition really mean? Would I be ticketed for staying at the shelter if it weren't full, or if it was full, camping in the vicinity? While I understand the technical definition, don't those with reservations take precedence anyway? So, what would be the point?

I did this on a AT thru-hike telling the rangers first of me wanting to stay at the Mt LeConte Shelter. The shelter wasn't fully reserved. They had no probema with me staying there for the night.

sliderule
02-26-2013, 13:44
I did this on a AT thru-hike telling the rangers first of me wanting to stay at the Mt LeConte Shelter. The shelter wasn't fully reserved. They had no probema with me staying there for the night.

Fact is, the majority of NPS rangers do not have law enforcement authority. So they pretend that they are doing you a favor by having "no problema" when, in fact, they could not cite you if they wanted to. They just don't want you to know that.

sliderule
02-26-2013, 21:36

I suspect that, if you actually understood the technical NPS definition of AT thruhiker, you would know what the point is. If you stay at the Mt. LeConte shelter without a reservation, you are in violation of the rules. If you camp in the vicinity of the Mt. LeConte shelter (with or without a reservation), you are in violation. Whether or not your would receive a citation cannot be accurately predicted. The special dispensation afforded by a thruhiker permit applies at AT shelters and campsite 113 only. (Shelters slightly off the AT, like Pecks Corner, Mt. Collins and Spence Field are considered AT shelters. Mt. Leconte, Laurel Gap and Kephart shelters are not AT shelters; overflow camping at those shelters is never permitted.

Ox97GaMe
02-26-2013, 21:47
camping in close proximity at a full shelter applies only to thru hikers ON the AT. For non-thru hikers, the shelters require a permit. If you are at one of the shelters off the AT and do not have a reservation that specifies that shelter, then you are in violation of the rules.

NPS rangers DO have law enforcement authority inside the boundries of the park. Rangers driving on the roads can give you a ticket for traffic violations, rangers in the backcountry can detain and arrest you for criminal behavior. Since the park service does not have a jail, serious offenders are turned over to the local authorities. Criminal behavior in the NP is a federal offense, which may also mean that FBI or other federal agencies can get involved. Try poaching an elk, cut down a tree, or hike naked in the park and see what sort of 'authority' the NPS rangers have.

sliderule
02-26-2013, 22:25
NPS rangers DO have law enforcement authority inside the boundries of the park. Rangers driving on the roads can give you a ticket for traffic violations, rangers in the backcountry can detain and arrest you for criminal behavior. Since the park service does not have a jail, serious offenders are turned over to the local authorities. Criminal behavior in the NP is a federal offense, which may also mean that FBI or other federal agencies can get involved. Try poaching an elk, cut down a tree, or hike naked in the park and see what sort of 'authority' the NPS rangers have.

There is no question that some NPS rangers have law enforcement authority. "Some" is the operative word. "Some" is not synonymous with "all" or "most."

Typically, only a LEO would be assigned as a backcountry ranger. But not every ranger who happens to be in the backcountry is a "backcountry ranger." And, despite common perception, not every NPS employee wearing a gray shirt is a ranger.

whiteout
02-27-2013, 11:01
Follow the rules and follow the trails and you will enjoy the splendor of nature. LeConte is a must.

scope
02-27-2013, 12:19
I suspect that, if you actually understood the technical NPS definition of AT thruhiker, you would know what the point is...

OK, guess I didn't understand the definition completely... thank you Ox97 for being a lot less snarky.

scope
02-27-2013, 12:20
duplicate removed

dr.rock
02-27-2013, 13:46
So if i go to Gatlinburg to resupply and take a zero im not a thru hiker?

max patch
02-27-2013, 13:58
So if i go to Gatlinburg to resupply and take a zero im not a thru hiker?

Technically, although it was never enforced, under the old rules you could not leave the AT and go to town.

The new, current, rules addressed this problem. You are now specifically permitted the right to go to town to resupply or rest without affecting your status as a thru hiker.

dr.rock
02-27-2013, 14:01
Good thank you