PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit vs. Osprey Atmos 65

Gunslinger
11-29-2011, 19:44
I am trying to decide on a new pack. I have narrowed it down between the ULA Circuit and Osprey Atmos 65. Both are similar in capacity. Circuit is lighter, Atmos is on sale so is cheaper right now. My total weight including food and water is 25 lbs. My current pack is a ULA Catalyst and I have no complaints other than it is too large for my needs. Any opinions on both packs are welcome. Is the extra weight of the osprey worth anything? Is it more comfortable than the Circuit. Does it carry the load any better?

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 19:53
i can only vouch for the atmos, which Ive been happy with for 2 years.but if youve already been happy with ULA, i assume you'll get more support here for the circuit, because of the weight.

skinewmexico
11-29-2011, 23:09
The Circuit is a wonderful pack. I use mine 99 times out of 100 instead of my Catalyst. And you're helping pay the salaries of workers in Utah. Designed by a thru-hiker, for thru-hikers. What more do you need to know?

bigcranky
11-30-2011, 08:26
Given your total weight, have you considered the Ohm 2.0? Same as the regular Ohm, but with the more comfortable hip belt from the Circuit. Assuming your gear is mostly compact to go along with the light weight, you might find it a good size.

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. The Ohm is larger than I was expecting, and while the Circuit is even larger, it's not as much of a difference as I thought. The Ohm has a great compression system, an easy drawstring top opening, and a stretchy front mesh pocket that holds a lot more gear than one might think. The only reason I prefer the Circuit is that it holds my bulkier winter bag and clothing, and it'll handle about ten more pounds when needed. Both are terrific packs.

Gunslinger
11-30-2011, 13:05
Given your total weight, have you considered the Ohm 2.0? Same as the regular Ohm, but with the more comfortable hip belt from the Circuit. Assuming your gear is mostly compact to go along with the light weight, you might find it a good size.

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. The Ohm is larger than I was expecting, and while the Circuit is even larger, it's not as much of a difference as I thought. The Ohm has a great compression system, an easy drawstring top opening, and a stretchy front mesh pocket that holds a lot more gear than one might think. The only reason I prefer the Circuit is that it holds my bulkier winter bag and clothing, and it'll handle about ten more pounds when needed. Both are terrific packs.

I think I would prefer a pack the size of the Circuit or the Atmos 65 for the reason you stated, that it could handle 10 more pounds if needed.

bigcranky
11-30-2011, 15:07
I think I would prefer a pack the size of the Circuit or the Atmos 65 for the reason you stated, that it could handle 10 more pounds if needed.

In that case I would choose the Circuit over the Osprey pack. I've owned several Osprey packs, and my lovely wife uses an Ariel 55, but I find the Circuit better for long distance hiking.

corialice81
11-30-2011, 16:15
I'm gonna go with the circuit for long distance and here's why: http://www.ula-equipment.com/products/backpacks/backpacking/circuit/reviews/vermont-long-trail-thru-hike-by-cori-alice-holladay/index.asp

Sassafras Lass
12-09-2011, 01:33
Atmos is on sale so is cheaper right now.

Tap, where is it on sale? Hubby sold his to his dad and needs to buy another.

He loves his - I've decided on the Circuit for myself.