PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp recommendations.

Stir Fry
11-29-2011, 20:50
On my last hike I lost my old headlamp and tomorrow I'm headed to REI to get a new one. Looks like they have about 40 differant ones, any recomendation on which one to get would be great. Only thing I know I want is a red light, last one did not have one.

theeulogy
11-29-2011, 20:54
I have the PrincetonTec Remix. It is lite and puts out good "camp light", as well as a bright mode that will allow for some minor night hiking. Definitely worth a look in my opinion.

Stir Fry
11-29-2011, 21:07
Looks OK but no red light. In the pas I felt guilty when I turned on light and only had white light.

bigcranky
11-29-2011, 21:18
Love my Black Diamond Spot. Bright main beam, good task light, red light for night, switched can be locked so it doesn't turn on in my pack. The new version is 90 lumens, uses 3 AAA batteries.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 21:19
well don't worry about it when you get to the store - there were 50 of these sitting there for $20 and from the same company with a red led - what is important is a single 30 watt white -with a deep reflector. and AAA batteries - never - lithium as that is hard to find in trail towns.

Had no problem two months ago - picked one right up for work.

ALLEGHENY
11-29-2011, 21:23
Princeton Tec Fred. Red light and made in U.S.A..

johnnybgood
11-29-2011, 21:25
Black Diamond Spot gets my vote . www.rei.com/product/826319/black-diamond-spot-headlamp (http://www.rei.com/product/826319/black-diamond-spot-headlamp)

Del Q
11-29-2011, 21:27
http://www.consumersearch.com/headlamps/petzl-elite

Petzl+ e Lite............super light, gets the job done, my ongoing effort to save weight and bulk.............in my pack and on my body

Not sure for night hiking but for typical use it worked GREAT!

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 21:29
Del did you see this?

Throws light only about 60 feet
Battery life not the best
Unregulated light gradually dims as batteries fade
Switch and swivel may be a bit fragile for rugged use

Sorry I pass.

swjohnsey
11-29-2011, 21:38
And I might add, when do you need to see more than 60 feet. Batteries last me several months. Light does not abruptly end when batteries are low. Waterproof. Mine has been beaten up for several year without failing including a trip down the Mississippi in a kayak. Batteries anywhere ther is a Walmart, I carry a spare set but have yet to use them.

conburn
11-29-2011, 21:42
I'd say go for the spot too. It's main light is very bright, but it also has two smaller side lights that throws light over a larger area. Both the main and the side lights can dim to a few different levels. Also has a red light. I haven't gotten a lot of use out of it, but I like it so far. The locking feature on it is the best.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 21:45
Nobody cares about the claim of 60 feet - when you get older and BLIND some of us need brighter light or red or green for definition. This is all about defining roots and Pa Rocks. Sales people make adulterated recommendations about what a product can do - it's up to all of us to make an educated decision.

In my country they are called Ankle biters - kids. Here's a picture...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/parock.jpg

Stir Fry
11-29-2011, 21:53
What is regulated output?

bobqzzi
11-29-2011, 22:17
I recommend Princetontech- they make several good models. I've had 2 Petzels fail on me, and they are unregulated.

bobqzzi
11-29-2011, 22:21
regulated means there is a chipset which controls current to the LEDs so output remains constant over the life of the battery. Unregulated means it is straigh current to the LED so the light starts out very bright, but then fades as the batteries voltage declines over time.

July
11-29-2011, 22:25
Nobody cares about the claim of 60 feet - when you get older and BLIND some of us need brighter light or red or green for definition. This is all about defining roots and Pa Rocks. Sales people make adulterated recommendations about what a product can do - it's up to all of us to make an educated decision.

In my country they are called Ankle biters - kids. Here's a picture...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/parock.jpgHey WOO, easier to fly than walk ehhh....

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 22:25
What is regulated output?

Awesome - GLAD YOU ASKED... behind your dash on your car is many regulators - they maintain or "regulate" the power to the display. They suppress too much power and like a gate get all the electrons in a line to sip the power and keep the brightness at the same level for the battery... To me, this is a modest improvement to gain a longer life to the battery. Hope that helps/

Sailing_Faith
11-29-2011, 22:27
I doubt you would find one at REI, but if you shop at Walmart you may want to avoid the 'Energizer' head lamps.

The model that has the 3w LED, the two smaller leds and the red light (and takes AAAs) has a real problem staying up.

It has a ratchet mechanism on the hinge that is not strong enough to support the weight of the batteries and light. I bought one, and exchanged it for another which worked for a little bit and then started to do the same thing...

Looks like this one;

johnnybgood
11-29-2011, 22:33
Awesome - GLAD YOU ASKED... behind your dash on your car is many regulators - they maintain or "regulate" the power to the display. They suppress too much power and like a gate get all the electrons in a line to sip the power and keep the brightness at the same level for the battery... To me, this is a modest improvement to gain a longer life to the battery. Hope that helps/ In simplier words ...it's a surge protector so the voltage stays within certain parameters.

Del Q
11-29-2011, 22:39
Wise Old Owl.............yes, understood the deficiencies, kind of sold as a backup, emergency light. I do not (currently) night hike and don't use a headlamp that much........works fine for general use, middle of the night excursions, setting up camp in the dark, etc.

You could be correct that the weight savings may not be worth it.............but as I buy lighter and simpler gear I am happier with my hiking. No cook mode was a good step as well. Simpler / lighter.

rocketsocks
11-29-2011, 22:55
Bought a small red LED from radio shack,and put it in a mini mag flash light worked great.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 22:59
never thought of that and its ...so gee why didn't I think of that.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 23:06
stuffed a green LED and its disappointing.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 23:18
In simplier words ...it's a surge protector so the voltage stays within certain parameters. Uhh yea - but don't get wrapped into the details - try to imagine you are watering the lawn and the nossle on the water pipe is what you want.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2011, 23:41
Thanks July!

rocketsocks
11-30-2011, 00:00
That little jewel was learned while at a star party reading star charts.A fellow showed up with a regular ole white light and I thought there was gonna be a fist fight.Seems a guy had been sittin' around all day in the dark try'in to get his "night vision" as he put it.And "Old johnnie bright light"was'nt gonna ruin it for him!I tried the green one too,it didn'nt work for me either.Always wanted to re-visit that one again.

Sailing_Faith
11-30-2011, 00:21
I have noticed an increasing number of lights with green lighting for night vision... I have always used red.

Since the issue came up in this thread, A quick poke at google found this article that was interesting (http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/)... one point he makes that I have found true, even a bright red light will interfere with night vision.

dla
11-30-2011, 12:18
PrincetonTec EOS. Don't buy it at REI unless they have the 80 lumen in stock. REI known to be slow at updating models.

Two Tents
11-30-2011, 13:42
Petzl + e lite. I have not used up the battery that came in it. I carry an extra battery but haven't needed to replace it. I have had it really wet and no ill effects from that. I agree that it isn't a good choice for night hiking but I do not night hike. The best feature of it is it can be set to turn on in red mode first eliminating the need to cycle through all the white and flashing modes. It is fine for camp and most duties after dark. Very lite weight and durable. But hey that's just my opinion.

Stir Fry
11-30-2011, 17:55
Endes up getting th Petzel TIKKA PLUSE, Thabks for the recomendations.

chiefiepoo
12-01-2011, 00:52
Had a Princeton Tec that I liked. Switch failed in the on position so the only way to shut er down was to remove the batteries. I e mailed PT three times with no response whatsoever to my request for warranty service. So, I fiddeled with contact cleaner and stuff but no joy. Now it is used at home for chores like under counter plumbing, crawling the attic and similar hands free work in dark places. Tough light excpet for the switch. PT ought to be ashamed for their lack of response. I know it is only a $30 lamp and they have higher end stuff to pimp but, hey, it's my $30.