PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking north of NY

kembe
11-29-2011, 21:06
Just did four days between the AT stop on the Metro North commuter train from Grand Central Station and Falls Village, CT. Lovely, but saw only a three-person group heading south on a long weekend. Those shelters were almost spooky quiet. Any suggestions on other long-weekend stretches north of Salisbury, CT in winter that likely won't have snow and likely will have more hikers? By the way, I loved hiking along the river between Kent and Cornwall Bridge and skipping St. John's Ledges. The more river walks, above-the-tree-line walks, meadow walks and overlooks, the better. (I think I got a little claustrophobic in those woods alone.)

Blissful
11-29-2011, 21:17
Any suggestions on other long-weekend stretches north of Salisbury, CT in winter that likely won't have snow and likely will have more hikers?

From here on have to check the weather etc to see if snow falls before a weekend. Hard to predict that in NE! And you can bet hikers will be rare in the winter until after May.

Ironbelly
11-29-2011, 21:33
The further north you go and the further into the winter it gets your chances for snow increase significantly. The amount of hikers , especially overnighters goes down substantially as well. Though, there are still plenty of us crazy NE folk that go out in the winter, myself included.

LIhikers
11-29-2011, 21:47
My wife and I always get in at least one multi-day trip during winter, most years more than that.
We don't always go to the AT and we only let snow stop us if it's going to be dangerous to drive to the trailhead or if there's a really big storm expected.

Abner
11-30-2011, 21:38
Sounds like you need to get some hiking partners. The Appalachian Mountain Club is full of good people. Check out their chapter in NYC or wherever you are closest. Many folks have an affiliation with the group to find other like-minded hikers. I would expect the NYC chapter would be a large chapter.