PDA

View Full Version : Blowdowns in CT

kembe
11-29-2011, 21:13
A number of blown-down trees along the approach to Falls Village, CT (in the final woods stretch between the high school and Water St.). Only mentioning because the rest of the trail in CT to the south had no issues, considering the storms.

goody5534
11-29-2011, 22:38
Yes could be dangerous from Cornwall thru MA/CT Border, did 25 plus miles fri, sat and sunday...

Driver8
11-30-2011, 01:37
Yes could be dangerous from Cornwall thru MA/CT Border, did 25 plus miles fri, sat and sunday...

Could you please clarify? Are you saying it's dangerous from Cornwall to Mass, from having seen it, or no? What stretch did you do this past Fri-Sun?

jakedatc
12-01-2011, 02:09
doesn't help a whole lot but I did a short section up to Bear mtn from the Undermountain trail to AT and down the Paradise trail with no trail issues.

coach lou
12-01-2011, 06:59
Last weekend from Hoyt Road to Kent maybe a dozen large blow downs, but nothing that made the walk dangerous or impassable!

Sarcasm the elf
12-01-2011, 08:54
Could you please clarify? Are you saying it's dangerous from Cornwall to Mass, from having seen it, or no? What stretch did you do this past Fri-Sun? I went through From Salisbury to west Cornwall road a couple of weeks ago. The only place that really stuck out in my mind were the couple of miles immediately south of the hydro electric dam. There was an especially bad blowdown in the area where the trail was parallel to the train tracks, a very large tree had crashed down lengthwise onto the trail and that had to be hiked around. Aside from that there were occasional blowdowns, but nothing I remember that couldn't be easily navigated.

joshuasdad
12-01-2011, 09:31
I did Undermountain Road (Salisbury) to the Hydro plant on Sunday -- I thought the trail was in great condition, but there were a few blow downs. Nothing that concerning though. Of course, after hiking Vermont in the snow the day before, 61 F and smooth trails looked really really good.

Driver8
12-02-2011, 03:48
I didn't see too many blowdowns on Greylock from Cheshire a couple weeks ago, nothing from "Snowtober" - evidently the snow there fell in more powdery form: the broken trees stopped, on the drive up, at about 1500' on the MassPike westbound from Chicopee. What few recent blowdowns there were on the trail in the four miles or so from Outlook Ave to Saddleball summit/Jones Nose Trail were more Irene vintage. A few biggies in the half-mile or so south of Old Adams Road. Might be more at elevation north of Jones Nose Trail, but I didn't go that far. It has been, overall, a particularly warm autumn, but for that freakish storm - I'd say November in CT was almost as warm as October.

Driver8
12-02-2011, 03:49
I did Undermountain Road (Salisbury) to the Hydro plant on Sunday -- I thought the trail was in great condition, but there were a few blow downs. Nothing that concerning though. Of course, after hiking Vermont in the snow the day before, 61 F and smooth trails looked really really good.

Did you go up Bear Mountain, or just hit the AT at Riga and head south. The Bear is one of my favorites - bet it was gorgeous Sunday.

joshuasdad
12-02-2011, 09:41
I was just doing the easy miles between the parking lot on Undermountain Road south to Falls Village, as I was in the middle of an 8+ hour drive from Vermont. Rand's View was awesome.

goody5534
12-02-2011, 17:57
Plenty of widow makers (small trees-parts of bigger treest-limbs) hanging throughout that section, Not at all difficult to see them since they were plentiful... I hiked it and saw and would be hyper-vigilant from falls village thru Mass.

Driver8
12-02-2011, 23:34
I was just doing the easy miles between the parking lot on Undermountain Road south to Falls Village, as I was in the middle of an 8+ hour drive from Vermont. Rand's View was awesome. Oh, so you started down near the village, not from the Undermtn Trail. Gotcha. I just did that stretch, as far as Giant's Thumb and back, in mid-October. Pretty, especially the climb up Barrack Massif just south of 44. Rand's View definitely is grand. I love the boulder field between the Thumb and Rand's.

Also nice - you might've passed by it - is the old AT south from Rand's View, which is now the spur trail down to the Limestone Spring shelter. Very pretty - bit of a treacherous descent for a short while, very pretty. Only goes half mile or so to the shelter, but feels like quite a bit more.

liptackj
12-05-2011, 10:58
The blowdowns reported near Falls Village and near the CT/NY line at Hoyt Road have been cleared.

Anyone who comes across any issues with the AT in Connecticut is encouraged to report them directly to me at: [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=Trail Report from Trail webpage) so we can get them taken care of ASAP.

Thank you for the reports and enjoy your hikes.

Jim Liptack
Overseer of Trails
CT-AMC