PDA

View Full Version : Move from NYC to TN

ChapD
11-30-2011, 01:37
After I finally acquire a good nyc moving (http://www.beltmann.com/new-york-city-movers.aspx) company, I'll complete my move to Nashville. How far are the good hiking trails? After reading around these forums, it seems there are a lot of outdoor adventures to have in the Apps.

Summit
11-30-2011, 06:59
One of my hiking partners lives in Nashville. He says his drives to meet us to hike are about 4 to 5 hours for trailheads on the AT in North Carolina.

daddytwosticks
11-30-2011, 08:03
Several Whiteblazers live in the Nashville area. Hopefully they will respond. :)

10-K
11-30-2011, 09:06
You can spend a long, long time exploring Big South Fork. http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Glogg
11-30-2011, 09:54
I've found www.citymove.com to be a useful tool for finding movers here in NY. It's like a reverse auction setup, where you post details of your job, and the movers bid on it. You can see reviews of their past performance, compare the bids they make, and it's your choice whether or not to use any of them. Hope that helps!

Tennessee Viking
11-30-2011, 10:05
I used to live in Nashville/Murfreesboro. But never hiked in the area.

Check with 'Rain Man' on here. He is part of a big group of hikers that get together about once a month usually around the Franklin TN area.

I know you can do a short drive to the Cumberland Trail, Fiery Gizzard, Land Between the Lakes, Big South Fork, pocket wildernesses, Fall Creek Falls, Walls of Jericho, and the BMT/Pinhoti.

Rain Man
11-30-2011, 10:17
... my move to Nashville. How far are the good hiking trails? ...

Yes, Tennessee is covered with hiking trails, especially in middle and east Tennessee. Drives from Nashville over to the AT in the GA/TN/NC area take anywhere from 4 to 5 or 6 hours. Not too bad, not too good. I'm leading an over-nighter this weekend at Walls of Jericho in Alabama and Donnor is leading one at Frozen Head State Park toward Knoxville, both for our "Nashville Backpacker" group on www.meetup.com . Our Christmas dinner meeting is Thursday evening, if that might interest you. I'm also section hiking the AT and organize hikes on it several times a year recently, though I've now gotten up to Maryland, so driving takes all day. I hope to get up to New Hampshire and Maine next year. We'll see.

Anyway, you've moving to a great backpacking part of the country. Jump right in. Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan

P-Train
11-30-2011, 20:49
And now you can say Go Vols!

Jim Obermeyer
12-02-2011, 11:28
Cumberland Gap National Park in Middleboro KY, is probable about 2 hrs. from Nashville.

Rain Man
12-02-2011, 16:55
Cumberland Gap National Park in Middleboro KY, is probable about 2 hrs. from Nashville.

I'm guessing you meant to say Knoxville, instead of Nashville?

Rain Man

Bearpaw
12-02-2011, 17:10
Savage Gulf State Natural Area. 90 minutes from Nashville. Some of the nicest hiking in the southeast, and rarely crowded, unlike the AT. Over 50 miles of excellent looping trails.

paistes5
12-02-2011, 19:43
Second that on Savage Gulf. Spent a week out there this summer and only saw two people the whole time. Water can be an issue sometimes so check with the rangers when you get there. Great hiking though.

liteweight
12-03-2011, 20:57
Several options as many have said. Normally takes me about three and half hours to get to the cades cove side of the park. You do lose the hour heading east.