PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking with Mom

jollyrunner
11-30-2011, 20:22
Alrighty, so I am fourteen years old and I am trying to convince my mom to let me do the 100 mile wilderness with a friend next summer. My mom loves the idea, she just wants me to do it in a few years when I am older so there is less chance of anything bad happening to me on the trail. Can anyone think of anything that might convince her to let me do this? By the way, I live in Eastern Massachusetts, so if you know of any one to three night hikes that we could do together (maybe in vermont, new hampshire) would be great. Thanks!

Just a Hiker
11-30-2011, 20:48
Decide which direction you want to go, then get an AT guide book, do your homework, and then make a complete itinerary to show your mom so that she knows where you'll be every day. Show her that you are organized by getting her a guidebook as well so that she can have numbers to call in Monson, Baxter State Park and Millinocket in case she gets worried. After that, you offer to sell your XBox to finance the trip, and don't forget to take the trash out nightly without being asked! :) Have a great hike!

bobqzzi
11-30-2011, 21:59
Look into getting a SPOT or similar personal locating device- it will allow her to know where you are, and to receive messages as you hike. Also, someone will have to drive you there, so perhaps your Mom might like to relax at Whitehose landing for a few days so she can see you part way through your hike.

Blissful
11-30-2011, 22:10
I totally agree with Mom, you are pretty young. The 100 mile wilderness is tough stuff with major river crossings, mud, tough climbs and deerflies / black flies galore. Not a simple hike by any means.
Now if the "friend" is an experienced backpacker, known by the family, and over 21, maybe...
I like the idea of you going out with some experienced backpacker for some trips in your neck of the woods. Start small then work your way up.

Feral Bill
12-01-2011, 00:05
Plan a local trip for a couple of nights with your mom as your guest. Plan and take care of everything but the driving. Follow up with some local trips by yourself. That should give you a chance to prove your ability to her. You'll probably have to wait for a year or so, but you'll be ready when you go.

jacob_springsteen
12-01-2011, 02:41
You might need to carry ten days worth of food. Other than that, if you can handle the terrain of New Hampshire's White Mountains and can handle root-covered trail and river fording, then the 100 mile wilderness should be doable.

jollyrunner
12-01-2011, 07:40
Thanks, if it helps, I am trying to go in August. Will the bugs and rivers be lower?

tiptoe
12-01-2011, 17:11
Mom is right. Fourteen is really too young for this section, in my opinion. In a few more years you'll be bigger, stronger, and presumably have more experience in the world. There are plenty of short (3-5 day) backpacking trips you could take along the AT in New England where you would have easy road access. You could consider them shakedown hikes for the big adventure in Maine.

jollyrunner
12-01-2011, 19:47
So all of you seem pretty well educated on backpacking, but do any of you know any specific places in or near Massachusetts that are good for these short little few night hikes? Thanks!

mag
12-01-2011, 19:55
Why don't you and Mom do the hike together. My husband and I hike with my 15 year old son all the time and there is nothing better than our fun and serious discussions on the trail without the distractions of tv, computer and video games. Also, consider doing a few 2-3 day hikes out in Western MA. It's easy to get to and you can find a shuttle service on the ATC website. That way, you can park 30 miles up-trail and have someone shuttle you down. Your car waits for you at the end. (Check ATC site for problem parking areas). One suggestion, park atop Mt. Greylock (let the lodge know you will be in their lot for a few days), hire a shuttle (Marilyn, the cookie lady is great) and drive down to October Mtn. State Forest. The 30-40 mile trail isn't too hard and has nice spots for sleeping outdoors. Plus, you'll meet some nice people and have opportunities to eat at restaurants (Dalton, Cheshire), and sleep in a church hall in Cheshire. You can spend your final night on the mountain either in the lodge ($$$) or in the campground. Have a great time and I envy your youth and enthusiasm. Hike your own hike, young Jedi.

LIhikers
12-01-2011, 20:08
So all of you seem pretty well educated on backpacking, but do any of you know any specific places in or near Massachusetts that are good for these short little few night hikes? Thanks!

Let me suggest Mt. Washington State Forest in Mass.
You can read about it at www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm)

jollyrunner
12-01-2011, 20:51
Thank you so much!!!!

peakbagger
12-02-2011, 06:59
There are (or were) a couple of summer camps that offer guided trips thru the 100 mile wilderness. They deal with the logisitics and supply and they supply guides (usually college students).

jacob_springsteen
12-03-2011, 00:05
Thanks, if it helps, I am trying to go in August. Will the bugs and rivers be lower?

All dependent upon rainfall up to that point IMHO. I've gone in August and they were not a problem and I've gone in September after a major rainy period and mosquitoes and river fords were more of a nuisance consequentially.