PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hike - Pen Mar to Pine Grove Furnace S.P.

kolokolo
11-30-2011, 22:43
I'm thinking about a 2 day hike from Pen Mar to Pine Grove Furnace State Park in PA in January.

I would do it in a flip-flop fashion:
Day 1 - drive to Caledonia State Park (about in the middle between Pen Mar and Pine Grove Furnace) and hike 20 miles north to the Ironmasters Mansion.
Day 2 - get a shuttle to Pen Mar and hike 18 miles to where the car is parked at Caledonia S.P. . (Any shuttle suggestions?)

It looks like this section of trail is fairly flat, with no long steep hills. As long as there isn't a lot of snow, I am confident that I can do the mileage. Has anyone out there ever done anything like this?

Also, I think that staying at the Ironmasters Mansion would be pretty cool. Has anyone stayed there since it reopened? I hear it is very nice.

I've done a bit of winter hiking in the past, but would welcome any suggestions for preparation/equipment, etc.

Thanks.

Trail Ponderer
11-30-2011, 23:46
Give Birchy a call. He gave me a shuttle from Pine Grove to Caledonia on 11/12. He has a hostel near the Birch Run Shelter between those two parks. His number is 717-352-4686. I believe the IronMasters Mansion is closed for the season.