PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskins unnecessary

cburnett
03-06-2005, 23:49
Why do I have snake skins for my HH?

I was pondering this the other day. I don't pack my tent or tarp in stuff sacks but I carry extra oz. for snake skins.

Why was I so slow to think of this? :datz

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 23:54
Give them to me if you don'e want them. I own 5 hammocks, and one doesn't have skins yet.

ocourse
03-07-2005, 07:52
They make making/breaking camp much faster and easier and keep things from getting tangled. If the tarp is wet, then they keep your other stuff in the pack from getting wet. I most appreciate them when I am stringing the hammock up after dark in the rain. Mine are like silnylon so the weight is practically nothing. Please be kind to your skins.

peter_pan
03-07-2005, 10:09
My huge Python Skins swallow the hammock, tarp and under quilt....the whole camp is in the python....super convient for 2 oz...oh so nice.

Rock...if you want my old "stock garter snake skins" say the word and they are yours.

Pan

SGT Rock
03-07-2005, 10:29
Sure, I have a desert hammock that Tom made that is without skins yet. I keep meaning to test it out for him, but I haven't been to the desert since April. I wonder how hard it would be to get sent to NTC :datz

BTW, what sort of stove do you use these days?

tlbj6142
03-07-2005, 10:41
Why do I have snake skins for my HH?I'll give you a couple of reason why you never needed them...

You stayed in shelters quite a bit
It never rained on your thru-hike. Unless I ask your partner in which case, it rained every day.

peter_pan
03-07-2005, 11:18
Rock,

I'll mail you the stock snake skins in a day or two...enjoy.

Currently, I'm using an Atlanta Stove...works good with the relately wide tin man 24 oz alum with non stick pot...have about 7 or 8 to chose from, though. Sooner or later i will probably try your Ion... all things in time. :D

Crash
03-07-2005, 17:09
Why do I have snake skins for my HH?
I don't pack my tent or tarp in stuff sacks but I carry extra oz. for snake skins.

You're right we don't need them but the extra ounce sure makes for an easier getaway. and tying your HH on the outside of your pack is neater when using Snakeskins.

erichlf
03-07-2005, 20:25
Sure, I have a desert hammock that Tom made that is without skins yet. I keep meaning to test it out for him, but I haven't been to the desert since April. I wonder how hard it would be to get sent to NTC :datz

BTW, what sort of stove do you use these days? You can send the hammock to me. lol I live in the desert.

neo
03-07-2005, 22:21
i have snakeskins on my hennesey ultra lite backpacker,but on my other cocoon hennessey hammock i use jacks are better 8x8 sinylon tarp,jacks r better python skins ,and a custom silnylon under cover,i like the jacksrbetter python skins much better,they really work well with my set up,i highly recommend any of jacksrbetter products:sun neo

Todd in Tarzana
03-07-2005, 23:09
I find skins useless on HH and other hammocks, prefer to bundle and stuff it. With bottom insulation sewed on, won't fit in skins anyway. Use them for tarp instead, is my opinion.

I put up the skinned tarp with a ridgeline below the snake so I can hang stuff off it and only unskin if I need shelter. Little sky view blockage this way, and it's there and my gear is at hand.

Todd.

erichlf
03-08-2005, 02:40
I find skins useless on HH and other hammocks, prefer to bundle and stuff it. With bottom insulation sewed on, won't fit in skins anyway. Use them for tarp instead, is my opinion. Jacks R Better have python skins this will solve your quilt problem.