PDA

View Full Version : First Gear list shakedown (Harpers Ferry to Penn Mar Mid December)

phaedrus
12-01-2011, 03:09
As always this is a work in progress, but I am getting close enough to start dialing in the details. This will be for a 3-4 day trek, but I want to carry a full thru-hike load as prep for the future. Mileage is not an issue as I have a few options for campsites/shelters depending on pace/ trail conditions / weather with the extra winter poundage. Sorry the only weights I have aew from the manufacturer, need to get a scale.
Hit it up!

As far as sleeping warmth, will be testing this weekend (finally) since it hasn't really gotten that cold yet.

phaedrus
12-01-2011, 03:11
OK that cut and paste didn't work, gonna try again....

phaedrus
12-01-2011, 03:19
Big Three

Weight (oz)

Backpack

golite pinacle

Pack liner

Plastic trash compactor bag

Sleeping bag & stuff sack

REI halo

Tent

rei quarterdome

Bag liner

Thermarest reactor plus

Sleeping pad & stuff sack

exped7

Hiking poles

moutainsmith

Water

Bottles

gatorade (2)

Water purification

aquamira

Kitchen

TI Long spoon

Stove wind break

homade Aluminum
`

Dish towel

Clorox handi-wipe

stove/pot/potstand

mini heat

fuel

Alcohol

Swedish FLint

Bic lighter

Hygeine/First Aid

Toothbrush

Dental floss

Toothpaste

Toilet paper

partial roll and zip lock bag

Hand sanitizer

Towel

small pack towl

First aid kit

Misc

Wallet

Zip-lock

Credit card

Cash

Drivers license

Pen

Repair kit

Rope

survival braclet

Compass

Trail guide/maps

section maps /companion on phone

Biner/Knife

Headlamp

black diamond spot

Glasses case

Trashbag

Phone

Droid2

Solar Charger

Solio

aaa batteries

2 backup

Clothes

Hiking Boots

asolo fugitive

Hiking socks (thick, 3pair)

smartwool

Heavy Weight Mid

Kavu Wool.

Rain Pants

Marmot Precip

Waterproof shell

shorts

rei hiking

puffy layer

patagonia down sweater

Long underwear bottoms

Stoic merino

Long underwear top

Stioc merino

Underwear - 2 pair

under armor

Long sleeve shirt

stoic poly

Camp shoes

merril barefoot trail

bandana/hat

beanie

blackrock blackjack

Glove liners

Northface Fleece

Glove Shells

Northface Windstopers

Balaclava

Big Three

Weight (oz)

Backpack

golite pinacle

Pack liner

Plastic trash compactor bag

Sleeping bag & stuff sack

REI halo

Tent

rei quarterdome

Bag liner

Thermarest reactor plus

Sleeping pad & stuff sack

exped7

Hiking poles

moutainsmith

Water

Bottles

gatorade (2)

Water purification

aquamira

Kitchen

TI Long spoon

Stove wind break

homade Aluminum
`

Dish towel

Clorox handi-wipe

stove/pot/potstand

mini heat

fuel

Alcohol

Swedish FLint

Bic lighter

Hygeine/First Aid

Toothbrush

Dental floss

Toothpaste

Toilet paper

partial roll and zip lock bag

Hand sanitizer

Towel

small pack towl

First aid kit

Misc

Wallet

Zip-lock

Credit card

Cash

Drivers license

Pen

Repair kit

Rope

survival braclet

Compass

Trail guide/maps

section maps /companion on phone

Biner/Knife

Headlamp

black diamond spot

Glasses case

Trashbag

Phone

Droid2

Solar Charger

Solio

aaa batteries

2 backup

Clothes

Hiking Boots

asolo fugitive

Hiking socks (thick, 3pair)

smartwool

Heavy Weight Mid

Kavu Wool.

Rain Pants

Marmot Precip

Waterproof shell

shorts

rei hiking

puffy layer

patagonia down sweater

Long underwear bottoms

Stoic merino

Long underwear top

Stioc merino

Underwear - 2 pair

under armor

Long sleeve shirt

stoic poly

Camp shoes

merril barefoot trail

bandana/hat

beanie

blackrock blackjack

Glove liners

Northface Fleece

Glove Shells

Northface Windstopers

Balaclava

Hoofit
12-01-2011, 08:02
Are there two of you going?

mgeiger
12-01-2011, 15:52
Your list triggered me to add a few things I didn't have on mine. Thanks.

Note: If you're anything like me, you'll be using rope. Save the survival bracelet for real survival. For the benefits it offers, 40-50' of paracord isn't going to break your back.

phaedrus
12-01-2011, 15:59
Are there two of you going?

Yes. Still working on the partner, but if he falls through I'm not heading out alone on my first winter trip.

gregb
12-01-2011, 22:01
That's the trip I plan on taking next summer with one or both of my sons. I live in the area if you need support.

Kingbee
12-01-2011, 23:50
I hiked Pen Mar to HF in early Oct, with a little bit of cold weather at the start. It's a pretty easy hike, but you'll be facing colder temps.
Just go with one hat, and ditch the clorox wipe seeing as you already have a pack towel and bandanna.
Water bottles, go with Platypus or similar. You can fold them up small, and with the hose you can sip on the go.

phaedrus
12-02-2011, 01:41
I hiked Pen Mar to HF in early Oct, with a little bit of cold weather at the start. It's a pretty easy hike, but you'll be facing colder temps.
Just go with one hat, and ditch the clorox wipe seeing as you already have a pack towel and bandanna.
Water bottles, go with Platypus or similar. You can fold them up small, and with the hose you can sip on the go.
Thought about this, but then one more piece to buy and would save some weight. I know it is a short trip, but I want to prep and carry as if I was on a thru as much as possible.

phaedrus
12-04-2011, 23:40
First test of the sleep system was a success. Site was exposed as I wanted to put myself in the coldest conditions possible since the house was 20 yards away. Bag + Exped, mid weigth top and bottoms and socks. low hit ~32 and was toasty. Very pleased. I am a very cold sleeper so I had my liner, down sweater and down beanie on hand if needed. Now if it would only get colder I could test some more.

Wags
12-11-2011, 13:37
Items to leave:

-2nd pair of underwear. Just wash your pair when you get to camp (in a gallon ziplock filled w/ water, shaken vigorously). UA dries very fast. \
-Battery backups. Just use fresh ones. Keep headlamp someplace where it's not exposed to the cold (packed with your sleeping bag, inside a jacket you're wearing)
-long sleeve shirt (you have a merino base layer, a kavu wool mid, the patagonia down, and a rain jacket.) a good rule of thumb: if you can't wear all the clothes you are bringing at once then you are bringing too much.
-camp shoes - can you just take out your insoles and wear the boots loosely around camp?
-shorts - are you wearing these?
-liner - i personally don't like these. better to just sleep in more clothes and then not be FREEZING when getting out of the sleeping bag. if the bag itself isn't warm enough it's time to get a new bag.

something extra to bring: a 2nd pair of gloves. likely your pair will get soaked during the day. good to have a 2nd pair to wear while drying a pair in your pants pocket.

Spokes
12-11-2011, 14:00
Goggle : "pack man backpacker magazine" and look on page 4 of the article. Ignore any popups if you get any. Add a 100 weight fleece if you want and a trash compactor bag for a liner. Trim in summer to go lighter.

It's all the gear you really need to thru hike the AT....

Cheers!

nsiderbam
12-21-2011, 13:43
I did Harper's Ferry to a few miles north of Penn-Mar with two friends over Thanksgiving, and it was a blast. It took three nights, and the weather was gorgeous the entire time. Just as a warning, though -- there's a bridge out a mile or two south of Raven Rock Shelter right by a highway. I'm guessing the heavy rain the week before flooded the river, because we had to walk up and down for twenty minutes to find a crossing point that would keep us from getting wet. It might be fixed by now, though.

phaedrus
02-07-2012, 14:43
Big Three
Backpack golite pinacle
Pack liner Plastic trash compactor bag
Sleeping bag & stuff sack REI halo/dry sack
Tent Tarptent Notch
Sleeping pad & stuff sack neoair
Hiking poles moutainsmith
Water
2 liter camelback
Bottles 2x 20ml Coke Bottles
Water purification aquamira

Kitchen
TI Long spoon
Stove wind break homemade Aluminum
Dish Towel handi-wipe
stove/pot/potstand mini heat
fuel Alcohol in 20ml coke bottle
Swedish FLint
Bic lighter

Hygeine/First Aid
Toothbrush cut in 1/3
Toothpaste travel size
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper partial roll and zip lock bag
Dr Bonners
Towel small pack towl
First aid kit neosp.bandages, meds

Misc
Wallet
Zip-lock
Credit card
Cash
Drivers license
Emergency numbers
pencil/waterproof paper
Survival Bracelet
Rope 50 Ft paracord
Compass rei keychain
Trail guide/maps section maps /companion on phone
Knife MiniLeatherman
Headlamp black diamond spot
Glasses case
Trashbag
Phone Droid2

Clothes
Trail Runners Inov8 295
Hiking socks inov8 mudsoc 2x, 1xsmartwool sleep
Heavy Weight Mid Kavu Wool.
Rain Pants Marmot Precip
Waterproof shell Lukes Ultralight
shorts rei hiking
puffy layer patagonia down sweater
Long underwear bottoms stoic composite
Long underwear top Stioc merino
Underwear - 2 pair under armor
Long sleeve shirt underarmor
Camp shoes merril barefoot trail
bandana/hat
beanie blackrock blackjack
Glove Shells Northface Windstopers

Now hit it hard!!!

tuswm
02-07-2012, 15:36
have you already purchased the changes on your gear list?

Also are you doing PA in may and june? I dont know what you mean by doing pa 5/6.
I have given up on rain pants of any kind. I have found that if I am moving and I have a shell on that keeps me warm enough.
I think the exped ul 7 is much better than the neo air and lighter on my scale despite advertised weights.
camp shoes?
compass on the AT?
I hate my REI sleeping bag.
But those things are all not picking and 6 of one half dozen of the other.
The only thing that I saw was that you mentioned thru hike load/ practice. Then I saw aqua mira. I dont mind chemicals for an over night but I would not want months worth of them going in to my body when I can help it. I used to pump but now I have a steri pen. I like that I can drink water all most as soon as i get to a creek. its much easier to carry water in your belly then on your back. thats all. like I said all minor things.

PS I heard they closed lock raven reservoir to mountain bikers is there any truth to that.

phaedrus
02-07-2012, 16:20
have you already purchased the changes on your gear list? All but the tent

Also are you doing PA in may and june? Probably May but Date TBA I dont know what you mean by doing pa 5/6. Sections 5 and 6
I have given up on rain pants of any kind. I have found that if I am moving and I have a shell on that keeps me warm enough. Will Ditch depending on temp/weather
I think the exped ul 7 is much better than the neo air and lighter on my scale despite advertised weights. Came down to comfort for me. Side sleeper and the baffle pattern on the neo works better for me.
camp shoes? Missed somehow, merrill barefoot
compass on the AT? has a thermometer with it. luxury item I guess
I hate my REI sleeping bag. Love mine
But those things are all not picking and 6 of one half dozen of the other.

The only thing that I saw was that you mentioned thru hike load/ practice. Then I saw aqua mira. I dont mind chemicals for an over night but I would not want months worth of them going in to my body when I can help it. I used to pump but now I have a steri pen. I like that I can drink water all most as soon as i get to a cre.ek I get 50/50 advise on that one. Gonna try aqua mira this time out, next time maybe pen it. its much easier to carry water in your belly then on your back. thats all. like I said all minor things.

PS I heard they closed lock raven reservoir to mountain bikers is there any truth to that. No idea

Thanks!!

tuswm
02-07-2012, 16:55
i might be doing a pa or MD section the first weekend in march. But ill be doing it with some first timers. I think it will be low MPD.

CowHead
02-07-2012, 21:08
HF to Pen Mar is a great walk some do it in a day (not me) but i can do it in 2.5 and enjoy it alot, water always good, and the history of the area is great if your into the civil war.

Maren
02-07-2012, 21:36
I'm also planning a shakedown from HF to Pen Mar early March. I'm hoping by then to actually have some cold weather.

Rayo
02-10-2012, 18:47
if you can't wear all the clothes you are bringing at once then you are bringing too much.

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten from WB. Thanks.