PDA

View Full Version : What Rain Gear is needed for Spring conditions?

shorembo
12-01-2011, 14:19
I am expanding my camping gear to include Spring Hiking clothes. This is for average temp 40 - 70 degrees (North Carolina / Georgia). I hiked this summer and the synthetic zipper pants, t-shirts, and fleece top worked fine. I got wet but the clothes dried out quickly when the rain stopped. So for summer I am OK.

I figure in expanding my wardrobe into Spring, I would add some synthetic long johns to keep me warm.

Otherwise, I am thinking my main priority with colder weather is that I need to keep dry. Whether this means two layers, like a rain shell with a wind jacket, or a single combo layer, I just don't know. Also, I am not sure if keeping the legs dry is that important.

Any recommendations?

swjohnsey
12-01-2011, 22:13
You need a waterproof/windproof breathable outer layer top and bottom. It can be as simple as Driducks or something more durable/expensive like Marmot Precip.

Praha4
12-01-2011, 22:55
you can expect temps lower than 40 degrees in NC and GA thru late May. You will likely see temps down in the 30s or even 20s into April and early May, especially at higher elevations. You will need the rainpants, a rain jacket, midweight fleece top and midweight base layer, something like Capilene 2 or 3 tops/bottoms. Not a bad idea to also take a synthetic down jacket for extra insulation, something like a Montbell U/L Synthetic down jacket. By the time you get into late May early June, you can send some of that clothing home.

For a rain jacket, I love the Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket. A midweight fleece zipneck pullover top like a Patagonia R1 zipneck is great. Most of the time during days, you can hike in shorts and tee shirt, you'll need the other outer layers for rest stops on cold days, and most nights in camp.

JAK
12-01-2011, 22:57
I would say for 40F and above rain pants are not neccessary. I would double check though, that you can't ever get temperatures down to 30F in North Carolina to Georgia in the Spring, especially at elevation. Still, for myself, I don't bother with rainpants so much for a rainshell, as I use a poncho, or a long rain jacket. I do however carry light waterproof rain pants for those conditions, but as much for a wind shell as for a rain shell. Always good to have at least a cheap light packable wind shell to get the most out of your insulation layers, for when you get the extreme you are prepared for. For pants, I use a light rain shell rather than a wind shell. For my upper body I carry a light wind shell, plus a rain poncho/tarp.

endubyu
12-01-2011, 23:23
I prefer to layer, so if you're happy with the layers you currently have, I think a light weight waterproof/wind resistant breathable outer layer is all you need - easier to stay warm if you're dry. Whether or not I cover my legs depends on temperature as well. If my chest and head are dry and warm I'm usually ok with wet legs but I'll try to keep my legs dry if it's cold.

lunatic
12-02-2011, 10:15
I like to layer also. I hike in a Capilene 1 baselayer, midweight 1/2 zip pullover, and then my outerlayer is a Marmot Essence rain/wind jacket. On bottom, if necessary, a Cap 1 baselayer, my hiking pants, and then I use the ULA rain wrap. Keep in mind that I'm really exothermic. I ooze heat something terrible, so as long as I have one layer that can keep in heat - I'm warm. :)

pyroman53
12-02-2011, 11:35
Might try reading this post
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76921-Hiking-in-the-rain-tips-to-staying-in-the-game (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76921-Hiking-in-the-rain-tips-to-staying-in-the-game)

shorembo
12-03-2011, 19:52
Thanks for the responses from everyone. I beleive I can put together a good santa list from the responses.

LIhikers
12-04-2011, 00:02
If you're pretty sure you'll be out in the rain a lot you might want to consider a rain hat, something like OR's Seattle Sombrero.
It sure beats spending a lot of time with a hood pulled around your face.
Earlier this year, during spring time, I did a 2 week hike and it rained for all except 2 days. Having the hat kept my head warm, and relatively dry, plus I still had a good field of vision.
When I spend a lot of time with a hood wrapped around my head I get to felling clostrophobic, so having the hat was great.

garlic08
12-04-2011, 09:39
If you're pretty sure you'll be out in the rain a lot you might want to consider a rain hat, something like OR's Seattle Sombrero.

+1 on this! The wide-brimmed rain hat was a last-minute addition to my AT pack and was one of the best things I brought for the first few weeks.

I agree rain pants are pretty important in that time frame, but I made it OK without long johns--just the long trousers. I don't loose much heat through my legs. I brought along a light down vest for emergencies, and never used it, but I would bring it again and recommend something like it--I was really close to needing it a few times. I had several nights in the teens and days in the twenties in mid-April in the high country.