PDA

View Full Version : Temps in Georgia around mid-late March

JLB
03-07-2005, 01:56
What sort of temps can I expect during a worst case scenario? I hiked in July last year, and it was very hot. Looking at mid-late march this year.

Will a base layer, fleece and goretex jacket get me by, or would I need a down vest for the colder nights?

One Leg
03-07-2005, 04:54
March 22, 2004, the temperature atop Springer was below freezing with light snow falling. That night at the Stover Shelter, the temp dropped so low that the water in my nalgene bottle (which was stuffed deep in my pack, surrounded by "insulators") had frozen solid.

This year is anyone's guess.

Singletrack
03-07-2005, 06:22
What sort of temps can I expect during a worst case scenario? I hiked in July last year, and it was very hot. Looking at mid-late march this year.

Will a base layer, fleece and goretex jacket get me by, or would I need a down vest for the colder nights? Temps can vary anywhere from lower teens, to 70 degrees. This time of year is unsettled. Who knows.

BookBurner
03-07-2005, 09:12
You should be fine with your current array of warm clothing! The weather can be very unpredictable this time of year, but a good "base layer-insulating layer-outer shell combo" will handle most conditions you are likely to see in north Georgia. Just don't forget the warm hat and gloves. Without those, you'll still freeze on a cold night!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

RockyTrail
03-07-2005, 11:03
Agree with Bookburner, the layering sounds OK for daytime use (especially if moving around) but nights can be cold.

I spent night before last on top of Springer (the 5th), temp was low 30s and the wind was gusting very heavy (25-35mph?) with snow showers. It's been quite unsettled lately...and will be for at least the next few weeks.
I love my tarp tent ; however being open of course the wind cut right through it; and hoo-boy, the wind chill was way down there. I had a 20F down bag and was cold because I didn't bring the long johns (a mistake). I would take those and don't forget a cap and dry socks to sleep in as well. Next day I hiked up to Hawk Mtn and Hightower Gap, saw a good number of hikers out but not as many as I expected to see. But it sure was nice to be out again. Have great hike!

JLB
03-07-2005, 11:39
Is there any place that shows temps on a graph, or any other way, for the trail or that area, month by month?

I think I have my bases covered.

I have patagonia capeline base layer, North Face Fleece (light weight) and a North Face Goretex shell that the fleece sips into.

Lower body is silk longjohns, and Northface convertable longpants. I have Columbia Rain Paints.

Smartwool socks, plus Goretex Vasque hiking shoes (mid high) sort of like a trail runner/boot hybrid.

Head wear would be a wool cap, topped with an OR Seattle Sombrero Goretex hat.

I have Mountain Hardwear lightweight gloves, that are fairly waterproof, but could even go with a gore tex ski glove if I had to.

My bag is a Western Mountaineering Ultra lite 30 degree 3 season bag. I'm wondering if that might be stretching it, if I hit some really bad weather, or if bundling up in my fleece, hat, etc when I crawl in would extend that bags capabilities down to the 10-15 degree range. What do you guys think? I may get a Western Mountaineering Flight Down vest, which packs down extremely small, and use it as an emergency insulater, or to upgrade my bag's lightweight shortcomings.

So I have the keeping dry part pretty well covered, even though last year during my summer hike, I didn't even use any of my rain gear, except my OR Seattle Sombrero, as it was just too hot to hike with any rain gear on.

JLB
03-07-2005, 11:45
Agree with Bookburner, the layering sounds OK for daytime use (especially if moving around) but nights can be cold.

I spent night before last on top of Springer (the 5th), temp was low 30s and the wind was gusting very heavy (25-35mph?) with snow showers. It's been quite unsettled lately...and will be for at least the next few weeks.
I love my tarp tent ; however being open of course the wind cut right through it; and hoo-boy, the wind chill was way down there. I had a 20F down bag and was cold because I didn't bring the long johns (a mistake). I would take those and don't forget a cap and dry socks to sleep in as well. Next day I hiked up to Hawk Mtn and Hightower Gap, saw a good number of hikers out but not as many as I expected to see. But it sure was nice to be out again. Have great hike!
This is what worries me. You say you were cold in a 20 degree bag, and I have a 30 degree bag, although it is a very good 30 degree bag.

Can you be more specific?

Were you cold because of your tarp tent made it too windy?

Was it your body that was cold, or was it your legs/feet area?

Is using the shelters a bad idea becuase of the possible wind chill, and would a tent be a better option in March?

Or actually setting up the tent in the shelter, assuming it's not crowded?

I carried a tent for a month last year in July, but used it only once, but would consider it a necessity in March, just in case of emergency.

RockyTrail
03-07-2005, 12:41
This is what worries me. You say you were cold in a 20 degree bag, and I have a 30 degree bag, although it is a very good 30 degree bag.

Can you be more specific?

Were you cold because of your tarp tent made it too windy?

Was it your body that was cold, or was it your legs/feet area?

Is using the shelters a bad idea becuase of the possible wind chill, and would a tent be a better option in March?

Or actually setting up the tent in the shelter, assuming it's not crowded?

I carried a tent for a month last year in July, but used it only once, but would consider it a necessity in March, just in case of emergency.JLB:
Yes, as much as I love my Squall tarp tent I wish I had brought along my "winter" tent, an SD Light Year which gives wind protection and maybe 10F temp rise inside. I was in the open field area on the mountain near the shelter and the wind was an issue; most shelter camp areas are not so exposed as Springer: Sat morning it was low 30s, wind gusts 25-35, and intermittent snow showers (no accumulation).

My legs were cold because I left the long johns at home instead used t-shirt, running shorts, socks, wool cap. I eventually broke out the fleece jacket and wore it in the bag and was OK except legs were still cold. I think I might have the same fleece you do (NF 100 wt light) and it was fine. Bag was a Marmot Pinnacle 20F. I use a similar layering as you do. Sorry didn't mean to worry you, all I was saying is its nice to have some full body coverage when sleeping this time of year, I was trying to fudge it and it didnt really work, esp in cold windy conditions with a tarp tent.! The silk long johns would probably have been just what was needed.

Section hiking I rarely stay in shelters, but shelters are not usually on an open exposed wind area. Is wind chill an issue in shelter? I dunno, never really thought much about that. Personally I have an aversion to setting up a tent in a shelter (unless a weather emergency)...and this time of year there's almost always folks in the shelters, so I guess it's a moot point. Enjoy your hike :) RT

JLB
03-07-2005, 12:53
JLB:
Yes, as much as I love my Squall tarp tent I wish I had brought along my "winter" tent, an SD Light Year which gives wind protection and maybe 10F temp rise inside. I was in the open field area on the mountain near the shelter and the wind was an issue; most shelter camp areas are not so exposed as Springer: Sat morning it was low 30s, wind gusts 25-35, and intermittent snow showers (no accumulation).

My legs were cold because I left the long johns at home instead used t-shirt, running shorts, socks, wool cap. I eventually broke out the fleece jacket and wore it in the bag and was OK except legs were still cold. I think I might have the same fleece you do (NF 100 wt light) and it was fine. Bag was a Marmot Pinnacle 20F. I use a similar layering as you do. Sorry didn't mean to worry you, all I was saying is its nice to have some full body coverage when sleeping this time of year, I was trying to fudge it and it didnt really work, esp in cold windy conditions with a tarp tent.! The silk long johns would probably have been just what was needed.

Section hiking I rarely stay in shelters, but shelters are not usually on an open exposed wind area. Is wind chill an issue in shelter? I dunno, never really thought much about that. Personally I have an aversion to setting up a tent in a shelter (unless a weather emergency)...and this time of year there's almost always folks in the shelters, so I guess it's a moot point. Enjoy your hike :) RT

Thanks, so the wind chill was the determining factor in your case.

I'm really not worried about being slightly uncomfortable, as if that were the case, I'd never leave the Holiday Inn! :D

My major concern is being cold and wet to the point of danger.

I know this sound weird, as we are talking about Georgia, and the Maine guys are probably laughing their asses off, but having never been to Northern Georgia until last year, I was not expecting to see the type of mountains I saw. Hell, I didn't think the real mountains started until North Carolina, and boy was I wrong! Not only does the Dahlonaga area have mountains, but the AT seems to insist that you must climb every single one of them, and strives not to leave a single one out.

I plan on preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best.

Thanks for your input.

hikerjohnd
03-07-2005, 13:25
http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp

Thisd link takes you to a nice chart that has the avg temps on a chart for you.

Frosty
03-07-2005, 14:56

Thisd link takes you to a nice chart that has the avg temps on a chart for you.Nice, be note that it is not "trail" temps up in hte mtns, but temps in the towns.

JLB
03-07-2005, 15:19

Thanks much.

JLB
03-07-2005, 15:21
Nice, be note that it is not "trail" temps up in hte mtns, but temps in the towns.
Frosty, isn't there some sort of rule for average temp drop per thousand feet?

I'm thinking like 5 degrees for 1000 feet?

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Frosty
03-07-2005, 15:26
Frosty, isn't there some sort of rule for average temp drop per thousand feet?

I'm thinking like 5 degrees for 1000 feet?

Anybody know what I'm talking about?It's usually colder in the mountains, but I doubt that there is a rule of thumb. I expect it has more to due with upper air currents (their temps and direciton of origin - N or S).

Also, sometimes at night valleys are colder, when cold air settles.

Still I would think that generally the mtns would be colder that the cities. Just something to be aware of when reading the chart.

RockyTrail
03-07-2005, 16:27
It's called adiabatic lapse rate; in other words the drop in temp of a fluid (air for example) as the pressure is reduced.

In flight school they teach it as rule-of-thumb 3.5F temp drop per 1000 feet altitude, but it can vary from 2.5F (wet) to 5.5F (dry) depending on how much water vapor is in the air.
This applies in wide-open bodies of air, mountain currents add a whole 'nuther dimension to the mix...go figure

JLB
03-07-2005, 18:55
It's called adiabatic lapse rate; in other words the drop in temp of a fluid (air for example) as the pressure is reduced.

In flight school they teach it as rule-of-thumb 3.5F temp drop per 1000 feet altitude, but it can vary from 2.5F (wet) to 5.5F (dry) depending on how much water vapor is in the air.
This applies in wide-open bodies of air, mountain currents add a whole 'nuther dimension to the mix...go figure
So I can take the average temps from the cities, and deduct about 6 degrees for height, and I would be pretty close.

Thanks.

Good stuff to know.

Bonehead
03-07-2005, 19:04
Remember to adjust for sock feet or boot heels.

Kerosene
03-07-2005, 19:08
I usually take 2 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet of elevation, but as RockyTrail notes, it can vary quite a bit. If you're really concerned, take a look at the record low temperature for a nearby city and plan for at least that (see www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com)).

Nightwalker
03-09-2005, 00:36

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/temp.html
This one may be easier to use.

Nightwalker
03-09-2005, 00:38
I usually take 2 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1,000 feet of elevation, but as RockyTrail notes, it can vary quite a bit. If you're really concerned, take a look at the record low temperature for a nearby city and plan for at least that (see www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com)).
The rule-of-thumb, as given to me by a multi-thru, is 4 degrees per 1,000 feet. As has been said, it's just a generality, so take it for what it's worth. YMMV, HYOH.

JLB
03-09-2005, 22:55
Good stuff guys, thanks.