PDA

View Full Version : New York Trail Conditions

fosteja
03-07-2005, 07:20
Anyone have info on New York AT trail conditions at this time. Looking to do some section hiking from CT state line south soon. I've been looking at all different websites to get trail conditions but none are posted. Curious if it is still snow packed and icy. Thanks

orangebug
03-07-2005, 08:15
Don't know about this year, but April in NY/NJ can be very fine. I did that section in '02, with a bit of threat of snow around High Point, and a very real threat of tornado at Wild Cat Shelter during an outbreak that put one in the middle of Univ. of Maryland.

Be very careful on the "glacier polished rocks" between NY and NJ. Anytime they are wet, even without ice, these are treacherous for falls.

LIhikers
03-07-2005, 18:27
The following is from another hiking forum about the conditions in New York's Harriman State Park. The AT goes through Harriman.

As of this afternoon Fri 3/4 around 3PM there was LOTS of snow in northern harriman along the cornell mine trail/bald mt/doodletown area. Snowshoes were necessary. we broke trail most of the way. the snow was light and fluffy in the morning, wet, sticky and heavy in the afternoon. there was lots of snow in southern harriman on wed morning

The Cheat
03-08-2005, 22:50
Yesterday it was 60 degrees so I was going to post that the trails are a mix of ice, snow, and mud.

But, then it dumped about 8 inches of snow today and it is currently 15 degrees with wind chill way below zero. So, the trail here is probably a mix of snow and ice right about now.