PDA

View Full Version : About to take on the AT...

fts
12-02-2011, 18:35
Hey what's up guys? Two close friends and I are about to take on the AT. So I hear the scenery in the winter is breathtaking huh? We wanted to stop by and hear some great stories from some of you who have completed the trail in the winter months. We will be taking the trail from NJ to TN. Any advice or just a random story?

Slo-go'en
12-02-2011, 20:17
Good Luck dude, your going to need buck loads of it. Sure hope you know what your getting into and have winter camping experiance. If you do manage to complete this trip, you might be one the first to do so during the winter months.

moldy
12-02-2011, 22:48
You won't get too many responses from people who have completed the trail in winter because it has never been done. While it is possible to hike for the 3 months of winter it's highly unlikely that you will make it all the way to Tennessee in that time. It will take a combnination of persistant hikers and a very mild winter. It's too far and in real winter conditions even 5 miles a day takes a huge toll.

Bloomer
12-03-2011, 00:06
my guess hiking from DWG to Damascus, VA during winter will take 10 - 12 weeks depending on weather. Spring/summer the same hike took me 9 weeks with a couple of zeros. The bitter cold adds a lot of "what if's" and a hardsips I wouldn't want to experience. Although I could do it if I had to. The weather so far has been mild so good luck.

jacob_springsteen
12-03-2011, 00:11
You won't get too many responses from people who have completed the trail in winter because it has never been done. While it is possible to hike for the 3 months of winter it's highly unlikely that you will make it all the way to Tennessee in that time. It will take a combnination of persistant hikers and a very mild winter. It's too far and in real winter conditions even 5 miles a day takes a huge toll.

Those long ridges in VA may get snowed in. May be fun snow-shoeing them but will be some work. Man, imagine if it turns out to be a mild winter on the AT? What a great way to walk into spring and maybe run into a few early northbounders, lol.

trainhopper
12-03-2011, 02:21
Good luck. If you guys are really determined it can be done. I would recommend saving your zero days for bad winter weather and not just for towns. Also in the Winter, I highly suggest doing shelter to shelter camping. It will give you a good fire pit and better protection from the elements. I think a must for your situation would be crampons for added grip in ice. Make use of all of your light as this time of year you don't get much. In addition to a winter bag, bring plenty of warm clothes but hike very light. When I hike in the winter I usually wear one pair of winter socks with under armour cold gear leggings and turtle neck with a light pair of gloves. Moving in snow takes a lot of energy and you will sweat and become warm quickly. As a result, keep your breaks to a minimum as you will become cold very quickly not moving in sweaty clothes. Once you set up camp is when you should break out your heavy clothes. Sleep with your gas and water so you can cook in the morning. Sleeping isn't bad at all in the winter, it is the before and after that are the worst. Nothing is worse than having to change into your light clothes in the morning. I wish you the best.

Maddoxsjohnston
12-05-2011, 19:17
Good luck man! A while back I did 20 days of North Carolina/Tennessee in January just for fun. It was pretty brutal, Clingmans Dome was about 4 degrees at the summit. But enjoy the scenery, definitely make sure you take poles with snow baskets for the intense rocks in upper TN. Also make sure to stow your water bottles in your tent to prevent freezing. Enjoy your hike dude!

Sandy of PA
12-05-2011, 21:20
Lots of luck finding the blazes painted on the rocks in PA. We get snow here too!