PDA

View Full Version : Mohawk Trail in CT Question

Matchking168
12-03-2011, 02:35
Hello!
I am new to this forum and I did try to post a new guy thread in the welcome section but I was not allowed access to it. I have a question and would appreciate any help. I am looking to hike out of Mohawk State Park in CT (Mohawk Trail) to the AT near RT 112. Has anyone hiked this route and what is the milage.

Thank you,
Matchking168

Driver8
12-03-2011, 03:46
Hi Matchking, and Welcome to White Blaze. I just looked this up in the Connecticut Walk Book West, and from the AT/Mohawk Trail southern intersection to Essex Hill Road in Mohawk Mtn State Park, it's about 7.4 miles. Apparently, it's less treacherous to hike this eastbound, climbing, generally, out of the Housy Valley, than west.

If you're up for a two-car hike of it this weekend, I might be, too. I have no planned hike this weekend, but think I'm going to venture forth - haven't done Mohawk Mtn area yet, so this appeals to me. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you please.

Cheers,

Chris/Driver 8

Snowleopard
12-03-2011, 11:48
I remembered that the AT used to go over Mohawk Mtn. Apparently this Mohawk trail follows the old route of the AT.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?1703-Mohawk-Trail-in-Conn..
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?5378-Connecticut-Re-Routes&highlight=mohawk%20trail

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?1703-Mohawk-Trail-in-Conn.)

Driver8
12-03-2011, 13:26
Yes, the Mohawk is an old AT routing. And for the record, the CT Walk Books, West and East, are published by the CT Forest and Park Assn and can be purchased at bookstores for a reasonable price - on the order of $20 each. It's also a good idea to visit their website for updates on the blue-blazed trails, including the Mohawk: www.ctwoodlands.org .

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2011, 15:49
And for the record, the CT Walk Books, West and East, are published by the CT Forest and Park Assn and can be purchased at bookstores for a reasonable price - on the order of $20 each. It's also a good idea to visit their website for updates on the blue-blazed trails, including the Mohawk: www.ctwoodlands.org (http://www.ctwoodlands.org) .

+1 I picked up the CT Walk book West this year and I've been really impressed with the number of trails that exist, especially near the fairly urban areas in the south of the state. All the pages are removable, so when I go out I just take the relevant maps with me in a zip lock bag and then put them back when I'm done. It's a great guide for Connecticut residents who want to get to a trail without too much of a drive.

Oh, don't forget to wear Blaze Orange (that is the closest font color I could find) when hiking CT blue trails this time of year. A lot of the trails go through private property that we hikers are just using as guests. I've come across several tree stands and hunting blinds fairly close to the trails.

Matchking168
12-07-2011, 13:11
Thank you all for your input and help. I did pick up a copy of the CT walk book and it is incredible how much info about the local trails there is in there. I am planning on hiking that route this weekend with my Crew as a train up for Philmont Scout Ranch. My plan is to start at Mohawk State Park hike to the AT and bed down one night at or near Limestone Shelters then out to Racebrook elbow trail. Looks like it should be challenging.

Thank you all again!!!
PS Great Forum

Driver8
12-07-2011, 20:29
Sounds like a lot of fun - enjoy! Limestone Spring shelter is in great shape - or at least it was April 17, so it probably still is. It might help you to know that you can take a short cut along the old AT routing to that shelter, if you like, from between the Iron Bridge and Great Falls. Keep road walking on Housatonic River Road when the trail veers rightward off it, then take a left on Sugar Hill Road, which is an older AT route. You'll follow the road about half a mile, maybe less, past pavement's end - it keeps on as a private gravel road. As the road is veering generally left, you'll see blue-blazes leading you rightward off to the north. The shelter is about 0.4 mile up the blue-blazer - check out the stream along the way, which you meet in short order - it has via erosion exposed some beautiful limestone along the way.

Matchking168
12-13-2011, 15:35
Awesome Hike this wekend. The maps from the CT walk book are on the money. The only deviation and it looks to be a recent change was near the the Pine Knoll Shelter where the trail goes north east of Wickwire Rd. It was a pretty strenuous hike with heavier than normal packs because of the cold weather gear. From the Ethan Allen Youth Area in Mohawk State Park to the trail head intersection of the AT registered just about 14 Miles on the GPS. The 2-4" of snow on the north face of the hills slowed us down a little bit. We didn't make it to the Limestone Shelter but we definitely got some good training miles in. Very scenic hike which we all enjoyed. The elevation profile of this hike looks like a bad EKG. Thanks for all you help to the newbie,

Regards
Mark

Driver8
12-14-2011, 03:09
Thanks for the trip report, Mark. So there IS snow out in CT AT-land. Good to know. I will be making the trip over to REI, then, to pick up some spikes. Looking forward to winter hiking!