PDA

View Full Version : Gps

o hiker guy
12-03-2011, 09:06
I,m looking to buy a GPS for hiking but i don,t see any post on here on them. Does any of you use them and if you do what is the best one for the AT.

10-K
12-03-2011, 09:11
IMO the only use for a GPS on the AT is to learn how to use the various functions.

I've got a Garmin eTrex Vista hcx loaded with free topos from gpsfiledepot. There is another file on gpsfiledepot.com called "mytrails" which so far has included every trail I've hiked (I think.....) and has been accurate.

I also like the Garmin because they have an excellent Mac software program called Basecamp that's not an afterthought or bastard child of a Windows program.

Fredt4
12-03-2011, 09:39
The best gps is your droid phone

coach lou
12-03-2011, 09:43
The best GPS is your BRAIN!!!.............Just an old school...old fart!

Mountain Mike
12-03-2011, 11:53
Not much need for GPS on AT other than winter use where blazes may be covered by snow. The trail is so well marked & used.

johnnybgood
12-03-2011, 12:08
Always been a no frills " old school " type that gets by using maps/ guidebooks and compass.

To answer your question though , I have a good hiking buddy that uses a Garmin Vista and I have always enjoyed the statistical breakdown of our hikes, ie;
total elevation gain/loss and hours actually hiking as opposed to idle time.

BrianLe
12-03-2011, 13:07
If you go very early or very late season (i.e., potential for a lot of snow covering the trail), you might consider having some sort of GPS application, but even then I agree Fredt4 that a smartphone with a real GPS chipset and some basic software for it will be fine (exactly what I used just a couple of times early season last year).

Ladytrekker
12-03-2011, 13:31
I use a Garmin GPSmap 60csx and am real happy with it. I also downloaded maps from gpsfiledepot. When I hike on the FT is shows on my maps after downloading.

Sailing_Faith
12-03-2011, 13:38
I have used a variety of GPS units for navigation on the water where they are very useful (especially out of sight of land). I do not really see the utility of one for navigation on the trail, but what is helpful is knowing mileage.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 101 that you wear like a large watch... it takes 2aaa batteries and it can be nice when you know you have 8.4 miles to the shelter, you can do the calculation in your brain or you can count down the distance on your wrist...

Doubt it would make the cut on a thru-hike though.

leaftye
12-03-2011, 16:29
How do you expect a gps to help you out?

58starter
12-03-2011, 20:15
I like my Delorme PN-40

Mags
12-03-2011, 21:08
As others mentioned, no real need for a GPS on the AT.

But, I am sure they can be fun to play with to track progress, plug in waypoints of a favorite campsite, etc.

A better question is what do you want to do with the GPS? Then others can give you suggestion of a GPS that best fits your needs.

A lot of choices out there and not all of them may be a good fit for what you need. :)

quilteresq
12-03-2011, 21:28
Seriously, none of you are married to engineers. Totally required for them.

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2011, 21:51
Seriously, none of you are married to engineers. Totally required for them.

My usual hiking buddy is an engineer. When we first started backpacking he kept tripping and walking into stuff because he was paying more attention to the GPS screen than to the trail, eventually we made a rule that he had to keep his GPS in his pack unless he was stopped.

In regards to the opening post. GPS isn't necessary but is fun. I've found you can't go wrong with Garmin. Be prepared to go through a lot of batteries if you leave it on while you hike.

Wise Old Owl
12-03-2011, 22:20
Well folks he didn't mention it was for the AT - he might want it for something else. IF YOU HAVE A SMART PHONE - Get an app! Backpacker Pro... IF you are going for Garmin... Most of them at the $200 or less are toys. The ones with base maps or will accept a base map Vista and up are incredible.

Mags
12-04-2011, 00:32
Well folks he didn't mention it was for the AT -

No..BUT

This is the the "thru-hiker specific topics forum" for the Appalachian Trail.

Maybe he really meant for the CDT? :D

o hiker guy
12-04-2011, 10:34
Thanks everyone that has replyed. I know this will be more of a toy than needed on the AT but i have never stepped one foot on the AT and i figured it might be nice to have. Everyone on here has a world of information and i have gained alot since joining the site. My thru hike is still a year or so away and i just want to be as ready as i can. Thanks

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 11:03
I don't see it that way, When touch tone came out over rotary on a telephone we did't see the ramifications. This is another tool in the tool box - its still means you should know Map & Compass. For years being an Amatuer Radio person required knowing International Morse code. I used to cover 4 states for an electronic installation service. I kept asking people, please just give me the address - not the directions. When talking with people - they frequently do not know left from right. My secret - some fourty pounds of high quality book maps. Later ir was a Microsoft GPS on a 15inch laptop running on inverter. Today its the best Garmin & Smartphone - because Garmin doesn't have spell check - Google does.