PDA

View Full Version : Make stove in 3 minutes

chris
03-07-2005, 11:10
While my dinner was cooking last night, I decided to make an alcohol stove for whatever I do this summer. I took a cranberry juice can (the size of a V8 can) and using a kitchen knife punctured it. Then, with normal scissors, I cut around it until I had about a 2 inch or so height. My stove was done in about 40 seconds. I then grabbed an empty 14 oz. can of tomatoes out of my recycle bin and used a pair of metal snips to cut out a pot stand. Total time for both was about 3 minutes.

As my Indian delight was still bubbling away happily, I thought I should test this latest stove. An TBS of fuel (15 ml or 1/2 oz or so, measured in a sloppy way), brought roughly 2 cups of water up to roughly a boil in about 8 minutes and then quickly burned out. 2 TBS of fuel brought it up to a boil in 8 minutes and boiled until about 15 minutes. 3 TBS of fuel boiled until 20 minutes of so.

SGT. Rock's Ion stove has much, much better performance than these numbers (which were taken in the highly unscientific manner than you might employ in the field). However, you can make one of these stoves in about 3 minutes and still get good enough performance.

tlbj6142
03-07-2005, 14:10
You're no fun! Stoves are suppose to be tedious and intricate to build and make. Next you are gonig to tell us you collect water from springs and don't filter/treat!

mistakurtz
04-30-2005, 22:50
As boy scouts we would roll up cardboard and fill a coffee can with it, then pour in leftover grease and use it as a campstove.

It actually worked pretty well.