PDA

View Full Version : cold and miserable

ekeverette
12-03-2011, 19:35
my last section hike in sept./11 was good, but it was wet! i've got plenty of energy and motivation, but when i came out that night,i was wipped.... thats the only thing that concerns me..... wet and cold..... getting up in the morning and putting on those cold ass clothes... that's where the 2000 mile folks have the word of experince.... i quess you just have to buck up and take the pain, take it in the moment and keep on going... got alot of respect for the 2000, mile folks.

10-K
12-03-2011, 21:51
Been there. :)

Bottom line is that you just do it. It really, really helps to have something warm and dry to change into to make yourself as comfortable as possible during the night. A nice dinner and a full belly helps too. I really like laying in my bag, all warm and dry listening to the wind howl and rain beating against my tent.

Start the next morning eating breakfast in a warm bag, then rolling over and getting another 30 minute snooze in and then bite the bullet and get on the trail. Worse part is the heavy, wet tent.

CrumbSnatcher
12-03-2011, 22:18
you kinda get used to hanging your shirts,socks,etc.. during a thruhike, then later on up north, its later in the year & stuff don't dry as well, if at all. you'd see people pulling stuff off the clothes line thats colder and wetter than when they hung it up the night before. many times i climbed right into my sleeping bag with damp clothes on, all slimmy and wet, maybe not the most comfortable feeling for a liitle while, but then when i would wake up in the morning with my clothes all nice and toasty and completely dry, watching others throw on wet stuff

Wobegon
12-03-2011, 22:22
Yeah, towards the end of my thru-hike I rarely hung stuff up, especially if there was moisture in the air outside, because it really wouldn't dry at all and would just be cold and wet as opposed to warm and wet put away or maybe even dry if warmed inside my bag.

Papa D
12-03-2011, 22:43
If you are not sleeping with a hot water bottle, you are missing out -- here is my basic winter formula:

zero degree rated western mountaineering down bag (mine is a women's since I'm only 5'7)
single hubba tent - yes, even in 1' of snow, it's good to go
pillow made of down jacket and / or fleece (in stuff bag from sleeping bag)
eat a good meal with carbs - like potatoes and tuna fish or pasta dish
pee
boil water and fill nalgene - sleep with the hot water bottle - should be warmish - even 7-8 hours later
drink coffee
hike
eat
drink liquor
repeat

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2011, 23:54
my last section hike in sept./11 was good, but it was wet! i've got plenty of energy and motivation, but when i came out that night,i was wipped.... thats the only thing that concerns me..... wet and cold..... getting up in the morning and putting on those cold ass clothes... that's where the 2000 mile folks have the word of experince.... i quess you just have to buck up and take the pain, take it in the moment and keep on going... got alot of respect for the 2000, mile folks.

I don't claim to be anything close to a 2000 miler or an expert, but I've been getting into winter camping the past couple of years and here's what I've figured out that works for me so far.

1) Keep your bag dry at all costs
2) Have a separate set of dry cloths to sleep in, as you said put your cold ass hiking cloths back on in the morning, it's worth it in order to keep your sleeping cloths dry.
3) If it's below freezing, make sure you have enough ground pad insulation, this is just as important as having the right sleeping bag. This can be as simple as doubling up and bringing a second foam pad.
4) Plan it out so that you get things ready at night and can break camp as easily as possible in the morning, minimize the time between when you get out of your bag and when you get on the trail. Basically suck it up and get hiking as soon as you can, it sucks to get started, but once you're on the trail and moving everything gets better. Postpone anything you can skip such as breakfast and any hygiene related chores, they are miserable to do while you are half awake and freezing. Instead hike a mile or two and then take a break, eat and do anything you may have put off.

BrianLe
12-04-2011, 02:43
"... minimize the time between when you get out of your bag and when you get on the trail."

Ditto. And if you eat a cold breakfast, you don't need to put off breakfast, just eat it with your lower body still in the sleeping bag. Put on the wet stuff as late as you can, get moving as quickly as you can after that, and soon (enough) body heat will warm up those "cold ass clothes".

You can, of course, cheat on occasion: in particular, if you're pretty sure you'll be getting in to town before the end of the day, no need to put on the wet clothes that morning. And on the AT, trail towns come more frequently. This, btw, is one really great advantage to those that aren't on a really tight budget --- a trail town at the end of a cold & wet day.

One other very nice thing about the AT is that for much of the trip, it didn't get that cold --- for me at least, and I don't think my year was all that unusual in that regard. Cold and wet is quite a bit different than just ... wet. I'd never been a fan of pack covers before the AT, favoring a poncho instead, but on the AT it was often warm enough yet wet that I liked having a pack cover while wearing no "body cover" (rain gear).

Lots of debate can be triggered by the idea of sleeping in wet clothes; I've done this sometimes, and not others, it's a sort of situational thing.
I've never used the "hot water bottle" trick, and for me personally at least, it seems like more hassle than it would be worth, and I had some pretty low temps starting the AT in late Feb last year. Each to their own!

garlic08
12-04-2011, 09:27
"... minimize the time between when you get out of your bag and when you get on the trail."

Ditto. And if you eat a cold breakfast, you don't need to put off breakfast, just eat it with your lower body still in the sleeping bag. Put on the wet stuff as late as you can, get moving as quickly as you can after that, and soon (enough) body heat will warm up those "cold ass clothes"...

Ditto this again. If you can get your morning routine down to a few bites of poptart or fig newton, shoving your bag and tent in your pack, and putting on the wet clothes all in ten minutes or so, the morning isn't so awful.

...Lots of debate can be triggered by the idea of sleeping in wet clothes; I've done this sometimes, and not others, it's a sort of situational thing....

I'll only do this for a thin pair of socks or gloves or hat in the usual humid AT conditions. In drier conditions on Western hikes, I've successfully dried out fleece garments. I definitely agree, it's very situational and only for those who understand where the moisture is going to go and can control it. You do NOT want that moisture to end up staying in your bag insulation--it must be able to get into drier relative humidity air and get ventilated out of the tent. If it's foggy, it's not going to go anywhere and you should not attempt it. But it's amazing how nice a dry pair of sock or gloves feels on a damp 35 degree morning.

...One other very nice thing about the AT is that for much of the trip, it didn't get that cold --- for me at least, and I don't think my year was all that unusual in that regard...

I read about your close call with hypothermia in your CDT journal. I nodded in understanding while reading it and you handled it very well. Events like that make the AT seem pretty mild. But I also learned on my AT thru to not underestimate the weather in the Southern Appalachians in late spring. Because of my experiences in harsher weather, I was able to keep going comfortably, but it was touch and go in a couple of late snow storms. And I was pretty much alone on the trail--like you said about trail towns, the nice thing about the AT is you can bail out within a day or two of almost anywhere.

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 11:42
This reminds me of a kitty cat before it gets wet in a bath. - This too shall pass.

shelterbuilder
12-04-2011, 12:35
I'm not a 2000 miler yet, but I've already slept with my "wrung-out" socks on my chest overnight - they tend to be "dry-ish" in the AM, and that does help with not having to jam your feet into completely cold, wet boots (yeah, it doesn't last long, but....).

Has anyone ever tired sleeping with their clothes placed in an oversized plastic bag (inside the sleeping bag) that's VENTED to the outside? I suspect that your body heat might be enough to drive the moisture out of a bag that's open on one end...but the plastic could be annoying, depending upon where/how you vent it (maybe less so if vented through a foot-end zipper).

Just thinkin' out loud....

Wise Old Owl
12-04-2011, 13:28
Part about getting changed for bed it allow sweat to dry from the clothing.... and would you not make your bag funky from additional dirt?

Wait - I am not talking about visible dirt, I am talking about dust - skin cells and other stuff that falls off the body. The yucky part we never talk about.

BrianLe
12-04-2011, 13:45
"But I also learned on my AT thru to not underestimate the weather in the Southern Appalachians in late spring."

Thanks, Garlic. I definitely don't underestimate the AT for cold; the coldest nights I've spent anywhere but perhaps straight up winter camping were in Georgia and NC/TN in March last year!

shelterbuilder wrote:

"Has anyone ever tired sleeping with their clothes placed in an oversized plastic bag (inside the sleeping bag) that's VENTED to the outside?"

I wouldn't be optimistic about this. I doubt my sleeping self would succeed at keeping the plastic bag positioned correctly to vent while simultaneously keeping the sleeping bag zipped up tight enough for me to stay warm (which often is full on "mummy mode", just a part of the face exposed). Also, the plastic bag would tend to be held closed just by the geometry of the situation, so I wonder how much venting could occur anyway. And as Garlic pointed out, it depends on relative humidity --- and if there's a good enough delta in that, heck, smaller items (socks) I could just hang up inside my tent overnight. And when the ambient air is pretty dry anyway, I'm less concerned about getting a bit more moisture into my sleeping bag (some always comes off of our bodies anyway).

But please don't take my hasty reaction as discouraging; great ideas are often met with derision and skepticism, so if you're at all inclined, give it a try and report back please!

Tipi Walter
12-04-2011, 14:32
you kinda get used to hanging your shirts,socks,etc.. during a thruhike, then later on up north, its later in the year & stuff don't dry as well, if at all. you'd see people pulling stuff off the clothes line thats colder and wetter than when they hung it up the night before. many times i climbed right into my sleeping bag with damp clothes on, all slimmy and wet, maybe not the most comfortable feeling for a liitle while, but then when i would wake up in the morning with my clothes all nice and toasty and completely dry, watching others throw on wet stuff

I agree with garlic08 on this one: "You do NOT want that moisture to end up staying in your bag insulation". I never crawl into my nice down bag with anything but dry clothing, no matter what.

I don't claim to be anything close to a 2000 miler or an expert, but I've been getting into winter camping the past couple of years and here's what I've figured out that works for me so far.

1) Keep your bag dry at all costs
2) Have a separate set of dry cloths to sleep in, as you said put your cold ass hiking cloths back on in the morning, it's worth it in order to keep your sleeping cloths dry.
3) If it's below freezing, make sure you have enough ground pad insulation, this is just as important as having the right sleeping bag. This can be as simple as doubling up and bringing a second foam pad.
4) Plan it out so that you get things ready at night and can break camp as easily as possible in the morning, minimize the time between when you get out of your bag and when you get on the trail. Basically suck it up and get hiking as soon as you can, it sucks to get started, but once you're on the trail and moving everything gets better. Postpone anything you can skip such as breakfast and any hygiene related chores, they are miserable to do while you are half awake and freezing. Instead hike a mile or two and then take a break, eat and do anything you may have put off.

I agree with these points, especially keeping the bag dry at all costs and having a set of dry cloths always. My last several trips have included long periods of nonstop rain---during tropical storm Lee it rained for around 80 hours, and on my last November trip it rained for most of the 20 days and one spell of over 60 hours. The hardest thing about winter backpacking is packing up in the morning and shoving off.

There are a few things that are allowed to get wet: Socks, boots, shorts/underwear, t-shirt, one pair of gloves, baseball cap---AND THAT'S IT!! All these items must be donned the next morning before leaving---and here's where a good rain jacket can save your butt. Slap it over your wet t-shirt and get moving. If it's truly cold---around 10F or 15F---you can leave with more layers under the rain jacket and stop for sweat management, etc, as it's too cold to rain.

Lemni Skate
12-04-2011, 14:41
I know some ultra light enthusiasts would never go with a change of clothes, but I always have one set of clothes I keep dry at all costs. In a worst case scenario I can put up my tent, change into warm clothes and wait out the cold and rain in my sleeping bag. I NEVER start hiking again in the dry stuff. If I've got one wet set of clothes and one dry I will hike in the wet. You can't afford to be wet in the cold when you're not moving.

garlic08
12-04-2011, 14:52
...Has anyone ever tired sleeping with their clothes placed in an oversized plastic bag (inside the sleeping bag) that's VENTED to the outside?...

Good brainstorming there. Like Gadget says, try it sometime. Closest thing to this I've done is to put wet stuff in a sealed bag inside the sleeping bag. Warm and wet sure is better than cold and wet. More often I'll put the wet clothing under my closed cell foam pad. It's more comfortable that way and stays above freezing at least so they'll stay pliable enough to put back on in the morning. Shoes I sometimes just put under my knees (I'm a back sleeper) outside the bag for the same reason.

ekeverette
12-04-2011, 17:22
yea... one thing for sure, and it makes complete common sense... at all cost, i will keep one set of dry clothes for the night, and keep my bag dry... and when putting up my tent in a steady down pour..... which i have'nt had the pleasure of doing yet... will mop up all the wet stuff with my shammie, and crawl my butt into a dry bag....

CrumbSnatcher
12-04-2011, 18:03
never owned a down bag
used the hot water bottle trick alot of times in the south, not so much up north
climbing into a bag a little damp is not going to hurt the bag short term,if so no big deal to me.
tents,sleeping bags, hiking poles and such didn't last much me much longer than a thruhike anyways.
always slept with the bag unzipped and blanket style, easier to share the bag with my dog as well. she was wlecome to share the bag wet or not :-)
i used a z-rest, and she had a therma-rest air mattress, but she usually ended up with both :-(

CrumbSnatcher
12-04-2011, 18:07
i understand surviving though,being cold and wet with no options would be/is terrible
being cold and wet with only the option of just to start walking is not always fun either :-)
alot of good advice here

lemon b
12-05-2011, 18:39
Was kinda chilly this weekend at South Wilcox up here in Ma. Used a 20 degree bag. Got down into the high 20's. I find the trick is keeping one set of undercloths and socks dry for sleeping, plus a wool hat.

Yahtzee
12-05-2011, 19:09
Not hostels. Hotels. No joke. Many hot showers. Heaters. Covers. Every third or fourth day in rainy wet weather. Have done many long hikes and never stayed out in the rain for more than a few days at a time.

Hiking in sandals makes hiking in the rain, infinitely better, to the point that the rain itself isn't much of a concern. Plus, you get added bonus of stepping directly into puddles. The great thing about puddles is that they are always the right temperature. When it's cold, the puddles are warm and great to step into, and when it is warm they are cool.

Ground sheets help on wet ground.

Warm hat and gloves cannot be underestimated.

Sleep in your rain gear.

Oversized, thick cotton socks to wear in your sleeping bag. Comfort,warmth and a little bit of home in a ziploc bag.

Creek Dancer
12-05-2011, 20:14
Sleep in your rain gear? What?

Old Hiker
12-05-2011, 22:40
Has anyone ever tried rolling up wet clothing in a sham-wow type towel to wring them dry? Very light and multipurpose.

Crumbsnatcher - we have a very cold sleeping Walker hound - she gets covered up with her own blanket on the bed behind my butt. Even on cold(ish to you Northerners) nights here in FL, she's a little oven. I've had the interior of the house down to 58* and she's welcome to sleep next to me anytime!

CrumbSnatcher
12-05-2011, 22:56
my dog was like a furnace too :-) between us, our gear and clothes were always toasty dry by morning, usually ;):sun

jjimen16
12-05-2011, 23:42
So would you guys suggest bringing three socks? Two to switch back and forth from...and one DRY thick pair to sleep only? Also, if you are using a tent, and using separate clothes for sleeping, where do you keep your wet clothes that you put on in the morning? Thanks for the help everyone. Im hiking the trail next year.

Tinker
12-06-2011, 00:22
Yeah, towards the end of my thru-hike I rarely hung stuff up, especially if there was moisture in the air outside, because it really wouldn't dry at all and would just be cold and wet as opposed to warm and wet put away or maybe even dry if warmed inside my bag.

I hung out some hiking clothes this afternoon and forgot to take them in before the sun went down. They probably were dry at one point, but after the sun goes down the dew (or fog) tends to settle in.
Sometimes on the trail clothes will be a little less damp after a warm, dry summer night, but 9 out of 10 times you won't notice the difference, except that they're colder going back on than they were coming off. ;) I won't sleep in wet clothes. I wear my damp clothes under raingear as long as I can while doing camp chores (to dry them), and put on dry clothes when hitting the sack. I'd rather keep the bag itself dry.

Tinker
12-06-2011, 00:32
Sleep in your rain gear? What?

He must've meant "sleep with your reindeer." :D
I've heard of sleeping with your (dry) rain gear as a vapor barrier in sub-freezing temps. to keep sweat out of your sleeping bag, but please, don't wear wet rain gear to bed.

Additionally: I feel bad for folks who have to wear cloths to bed. They must be difficult to put on. Clothes work better.

sbhikes
12-06-2011, 20:19
So would you guys suggest bringing three socks? Two to switch back and forth from...and one DRY thick pair to sleep only? Also, if you are using a tent, and using separate clothes for sleeping, where do you keep your wet clothes that you put on in the morning? Thanks for the help everyone. Im hiking the trail next year.

Oh yes, I would recommend that. One pair is the sacred pair, never to be hiked in.

JAK
12-06-2011, 20:32
So would you guys suggest bringing three socks? Two to switch back and forth from...and one DRY thick pair to sleep only? Also, if you are using a tent, and using separate clothes for sleeping, where do you keep your wet clothes that you put on in the morning? Thanks for the help everyone. Im hiking the trail next year.Three is the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four thou shalt not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
- Brother Maynard

rambo2
12-07-2011, 07:01
Nice one.Thanks for sharing.

bannerstone
12-07-2011, 09:12
Once compromise is to bag your wet hiking clothes in a thin grocery sack and use it as a pillow to keep it from freezing. When you dress in the morning put on a rain shell or a wind shirt over your wet clothes while you're in camp to minimize the evaporative effect that robs body heat.

David

moytoy
12-07-2011, 10:23
Has anyone ever tried rolling up wet clothing in a sham-wow type towel to wring them dry? Very light and multipurpose.

Yep! I use a sham wow towel all the time. I cut them in half for hiking. I actually did a test comparing the sham wow to a micro fleece camp towel and also just a plain cotton dish towel. The sham wow held 11 times it's weight while the micro fleece held 9 times it's weight and the cotton towel held 4-5 times it's weight. In addition the sham wow dried twice as fast as the micro fleece towel. I gave up drying the cotton and threw it in the dryer:) The sham wow works really well at drying out wool socks.

Ktaadn
12-07-2011, 17:01

The one enjoyable part about being cold and wet is putting on frozen boots in the morning when your feet are sore and swollen from days of hiking. It's like having an ice bag that is perfectly molded to your feet. After 20 or 30 minutes of hiking, the boots are warmed up and the swelling has gone down in your feet. You may have to stop and tighten your laces after the boots have softened up a bit though.

Tinker
12-07-2011, 17:57
Yep! I use a sham wow towel all the time. I cut them in half for hiking. I actually did a test comparing the sham wow to a micro fleece camp towel and also just a plain cotton dish towel. The sham wow held 11 times it's weight while the micro fleece held 9 times it's weight and the cotton towel held 4-5 times it's weight. In addition the sham wow dried twice as fast as the micro fleece towel. I gave up drying the cotton and threw it in the dryer:) The sham wow works really well at drying out wool socks.

HMMMMMMMM.........Could ShamWow clothing be far off?????????? :-?

Marta
12-07-2011, 18:35
One strategy not mentioned is picking strategic times to NOT hike. Not as practical when you're section hiking under tight time constraints, but completely doable on a thru. I tried to take my zeroes on days when all-day heavy rain was forecast, even zeroing in a shelter during a tropical storm. During the summer season of afternoon thunder showers I tended to start early-ish and knock off for the day before the storms rolled in. Wimpy, maybe, but it worked for me.

JAK
12-07-2011, 20:25
The idea of not hiking in rain is foriegn to me, but for zeros on a thru or other several week long hike, that makes total sense. I can see taking some zeroes or neroes on sunny days, for doing laundry and such, but I now that you put it that way I can also see taking neccessary zeroes or neroes camped out in some really cool place, in a wicked rain storm, mending gear or knitting or something like that. Thanks Marta.

JAK
12-07-2011, 20:31
Yep! I use a sham wow towel all the time. I cut them in half for hiking. I actually did a test comparing the sham wow to a micro fleece camp towel and also just a plain cotton dish towel. The sham wow held 11 times it's weight while the micro fleece held 9 times it's weight and the cotton towel held 4-5 times it's weight. In addition the sham wow dried twice as fast as the micro fleece towel. I gave up drying the cotton and threw it in the dryer:) The sham wow works really well at drying out wool socks.I'm kind of sold now, but I'm still interested how much more water you would get out using a sham wow that has been wrung out to dry out a fleece or wool item that has been wrung out. That's a more practical test in my view. I'll have to test that now. I do like a dish towel.

Is the sham wow good as a dish towel also?
Can you sanitize it with near boiling hot water?
How do you know if what you buy is the real deal?

Blissful
12-07-2011, 20:59
One thing you need to realize when you're wet, cold and miserable is that the sun WILL come out and things will get better. "It's just one day" - I tell myself. "I can do this." And you do.

Wil
12-07-2011, 21:22
One thing you need to realize when you're wet, cold and miserable is that the sun WILL come out and things will get better. "It's just one day" - I tell myself.I was afraid there for a moment you were going to break out in song.

moytoy
12-07-2011, 23:21
I'm kind of sold now, but I'm still interested how much more water you would get out using a sham wow that has been wrung out to dry out a fleece or wool item that has been wrung out. That's a more practical test in my view. I'll have to test that now. I do like a dish towel.
Good question I'm going to try that when I get back home this weekend.

[/QUOTE]Is the sham wow good as a dish towel also? [/QUOTE]
It works great as a dish towel. 1/2 of a sham wow will dry my body after I take a dip. Thats one of the reasons I carry one.
[/QUOTE]Can you sanitize it with near boiling hot water?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about that. I'll have to try that too.
[/QUOTE]How do you know if what you buy is the real deal?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about that. My wife bought mine and I found them unused in the closet. I think she bought them from a TV deal.

OBXWaMi
12-08-2011, 10:21
How do you know if what you buy is the real deal?

My shamwow have "shamwow" printed on them. I have thicker orange ones and thinner blue ones.

JAK
12-08-2011, 11:12
Thanks guys.

Odd Man Out
12-08-2011, 11:55
HMMMMMMMM.........Could ShamWow clothing be far off?????????? :-?

How about a ShamWow Snuggie???

Mike2012
12-08-2011, 19:13
Having worked outside in the elements for much of my life I have learned to dress in wicking layers and to change repeatedly if I get wet. I am not going to be an ultra-lighter because being comfortable and avoiding hypothermia are of paramount importance to me. For me this means bringing some extra clothing, particularly base layers and socks, in sealed plastic bags within my pack. My raincoat will be one that cyclists use that has pit zips. Taking time to rotate clothes on and off until I get the right set up for the current activity has rewarding benefits. A motto that has served me well is that "there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes". I can always mail clothes home as the season progresses. Better an extra pound or two of clothing than trying to hike with a cold or fever much less being forced to take a zero to recooperate.

BrianLe
12-08-2011, 19:25
"Better an extra pound or two of clothing than trying to hike with a cold or fever much less being forced to take a zero to recooperate."

That sounds good in theory, and of course it's all relative --- extra pound or two of clothing on top of ... what base weight of clothing already?

In practice it seems to me that thru-hikers very rarely get sick, or at least not in that way. In fact, if some thru tells me that someone else "got sick", I tend to assume giardia-like issues if not told other details.

What's worked well for me is to just have the right kinds of quick-drying layers rather than spares. I certainly DO want two "dry clothes" items to sleep in at night --- wool socks (or down booties if really cold) and some sort of light pull-on shirt (doubles as town shirt). Spare Pants or underwear to sleep in --- not needed nor desired. Oh, plus some sort of warm synthetic cap.
But no spare clothes apart from those and a change of liner socks.

As in so many things, "to each their own", and as you say, you can always mail things home if you change your mind on what you need/want to be carrying.

ekeverette
12-08-2011, 19:46
looks like good advice brianle.... you are a triple cown dude, you've walked the walk!

handlebar
12-09-2011, 00:21
Someone wondered what to do with the wet clothes after a day of hiking in the rain. If possible, I wring them out in a sham-wow like "towell", then stow them between my sleeping pad and tyvek ground sheet. I noticed that after setting up camp on damp ground, the leaves under ground sheet were drier in the morning and figured out it must be body heat leaching through the pad. That's when I started my practice of sandwiching the damp duds under the pad. Even if they're not "dry" in the morning, at least they're not stone cold. After trying to wedge my feet into frozen boots last spring, I also tried putting them in the under-pad heater and found that they didn't freeze in temps of about 28 degrees F. I can only think of a few times when I've had 3 days straight with rain and that was in the fall in northern PA. I could probably have dealt with a 4th day, but think I would be looking for a town stop to bail out to for a day of drying everything out.