PDA

View Full Version : "Old Style" MSR Fuel Pump

Ezra
12-04-2011, 16:18
After 17 years my "old style" MSR fuel pump has called it quits. I am reluctantly going to order a new replacement pump. From reviews that I have read it seems that users have more issues with the newer style pump than with the older model.

Anybody care to comment on the newer pump as opposed to the older?

restless
12-04-2011, 17:15
I have a whisperlite international and haven't had any problems with the new pump.

Ironbelly
12-04-2011, 20:51
I have an XGK EX and have had no problems with the new style pump, have had it for about 6 years or so and use it about 60-70 times a year.

LIhikers
12-05-2011, 20:59
How do you tell a new style pump from an old one?
I have an MSR Simmerlite stove that's about 11 years old. I just assume that it would have come with an old style.

Papa D
12-06-2011, 00:44
I still use my old MSR Pumps (when I use the whisperlight) -- to answer LIhikers ques. (I think), the old style pumps have a leather gasket inside (I have several spares) - I think they did away with this.

LIhikers
12-07-2011, 02:32
-- to answer LIhikers ques. (I think), the old style pumps have a leather gasket inside (I have several spares) - I think they did away with this.

I know for certain that my pump has the leather piece. It still works fine, that's all I care about.

Bearbait
12-09-2011, 23:16
My Whisperlite pump just broke on me a few weeks ago. I ordered a new replacement pump off Amazon and I love the new improvements that MSR has made. I believe I can actually simmer with this stove now. You have way better control of the flame and it will stay that way until the pressure goes away. It is a little harder to get the pump into the bottle than the old model, and they also fixed the weak design flaw of the original pump that broke on mine.

Blue Jay
12-11-2011, 11:46
After 17 years my "old style" MSR fuel pump has called it quits. I am reluctantly going to order a new replacement pump. From reviews that I have read it seems that users have more issues with the newer style pump than with the older model.

Anybody care to comment on the newer pump as opposed to the older?

Wow, 17 years, I only get a decade and than the pump shaft snaps off. The part that goes bad for me is the little relief valve on the end of the shaft near the fuel filter, I forget what it's called. If you are really attached (I get that way with things I've carried for thousands of miles) there is a complete spare parts kit for around $25. I believe the new pump is slightly less durable but you'll have to ask again in a few years.