PDA

View Full Version : First batch of dehydrated veg

One Half
12-04-2011, 18:24
Almost done dehydrating my first batch of veggies in my refurbed 9 tray excalibur that showed up this week! Had a mixture of frozen brcolli 'cuts' and 'florets'. Filled 8 trays with this, 1 lb each tray. The top tray couldnt hold the brocolli as there wasnt as much headroom as there is between the trays so I put on 1lb of frozen peas. The florets dry much faster than the cuts and the peas, about 7 hours. Waiting on the rest of it to finish up. hmmmm.... what to dehydrate next?

russb
12-04-2011, 18:47
Nice!

Soon you will be drying all kinds of stuff. One of favorites is my leftovers from dinner.

sarbar
12-04-2011, 18:51
Fair warning on dried peas - break them up if you can (a strong blender works well). Otherwise they take a long time to rehydrate. Same with frozen green beans.

Rocket Jones
12-05-2011, 08:08
I've taken to pre-soaking dried veggies in a small watertight container or snack-sized ziplock to give them a head start on the rehydration. Fifteen minutes to a half-hour or more works.

schnikel
12-05-2011, 19:33
There's nothin' like a handful of veggies in the mix for dinner in the backcountry! My fav is brocoli and carrots, but they are all good. I pre-soak them for about 15 min. as well.
Schnikel