PDA

View Full Version : Gear buying plan

Drz
12-04-2011, 20:07
I hate that my first post is a question, I've been lurking here for a while now during my planning process but have finally made an account! I am aspiring to thru-hike the AT, but the earliest I will be able to begin will be the summer of 2014. I have little gear because I have not done an overnight hike in a long time. I am wondering what gear will last me till I am ready for my thru and which wont.

An example being my pack. How long do they normally last? Before my attempted thru I will not be doing many long trips, I am hoping one of over a week but that would be the longest. I would hate to buy a bigger pack then I need now if it will not even be useful for my thru-hike. Same goes for tents, sleeping gear and stoves. If I could just get an estimate on how long these things last it would really help me out because I am on a limited budget. I understand this is a subjective question so all I'm asking for is estimates.

One Half
12-04-2011, 20:22
It really depends on how you treat the equipment. I have a sleeping bag I have been using for 20 years though you wouldn't know it. I just upgraded my pack, sleeping pad and tent last year (had used them about 20 years also) to lighten my road. Actually I have been through several tents but I would say probably about 5 years or more from a tent. I would spend my money on the big items first and get the lightest weight quality gear I could starting with shelter, sleeping bag, pad, cooking gear, then others, with pack last. Buy the pack last as it needs to be strong enough and big enough to carry everything else you take with you.

mountain squid
12-04-2011, 20:40
Good quality gear, if properly taken care of, can last a very long time. A long distance hike of 5-6 months is a lifetime's worth of use, in my opinion. If a piece of gear lasts beyond that you have definitely take good care it. I've seen hikers abusing their gear and then wondering why their gear doesn't last.

You have a few years before your hike. I would suggest doing detailed research, while saving money, and then making good decisions.

I would also suggest going to Trail Days (http://traildays.us/) next yr. Many gear vendors will be there plying their wares.

Oh yeah, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Feral Bill
12-04-2011, 20:58
Much of my gear is older than you. Some is much older. If you shop carefully product life should not be a problem. Tents and clothes seem to wear out soonest. Down sleeping bags last much longer than most synthetics, justifying their higher price. You can save a lot of money buying used and on sale. You do not need to go broke buying good gear, and much of the most expensive stuff is no better anyway. Ebay and thrift stores are your friend. Also, if you buy from REI, LL Bean, and some others, they guaranty satisfaction, taking the risk you won't like something off of you. Happy trails.

Del Q
12-04-2011, 21:11
2014, buy nothing..........a lot will change, gear sales, what you learn from WhiteBlaze and hiking. Wish that I had paide closer attention before running out (all excited) and spending my money on gear I do not use currently.

BrianLe
12-04-2011, 21:17
mountain squid said: "A long distance hike of 5-6 months is a lifetime's worth of use, in my opinion."

Definitely true for any gear subject to wear --- which is a lot of it. Not so true for things like, say, your pocket knife. A good spoon shouldn't wear out anytime soon. That sort of thing.
For the rest (definitely the majority) of gear, I seriously doubt you'll put anything like a thru-hike's worth of wear on anything between now and when you start your long trip. I suspect you can just get most if not all of what you plan to take with you and expect it will still be good to go, with the exception of shoes. Even there, I've started thru-hikes with shoes that have a lot of wear on them and I just factor that into my shoe replacement plan (i.e., which resupply locations do I get new shoes mailed out).

The tough thing IMO isn't gear wearing out, it's getting the right gear the first time. I think it's tough for a person to go directly from "not a lot of backpacking experience" to a selection of just the right mix of light (or even ultralight if so inclined) gear. Lightening up from a traditional load requires some experience to be safe and acceptably comfortable. My suggestion here would be to borrow and even in some cases rent gear to start with, and pay attention to discussions about gear choice trade-offs in order to improve your odds of getting a set of gear that you'll find worth the money (that you'll be happy with on your 2014 thru-hike).

Since you're on a limited budget, IMO that means *more* time spent lurking here and perhaps also consider backpackinglight.com, and in particular you might pay attention to gear swap, gear for sale threads, as well as MYOG (make your own gear) threads. More time & work required on your part, but less money.

bamboo bob
12-04-2011, 21:56
I really abuse my gear. I overstuff my pack, wash in washing machines and yank it up full of gear by one shoulder strap. I sit on it and generally disregard its feelings but it loves me anyway. I have used the same Golite Trek pack on thruhikes of the PCT, FT twice , Lt twice, and half the AT. I plan to use it starting at Springer in 2012. I think they stopped making this pack because there is no reason to ever replace it. One good pack will last longer than you will. It weighs 31 ounces, actually less because I tossed the cap thingy away.

leaftye
12-04-2011, 22:13
A quilt and shelter might last the entire time. Some packs may not, especially if they are made with cuben fiber and you use it frequently. Most clothing won't last.

If it were me, here's what I'd buy right now:

Zpacks Hexamid with netting, beak and custom sewn-in silnylon floor
EnLIGHTened Equipment Revelation down quilt
Sawyer Squeeze filter with Platypus dirty bag

Here's what I'd wait to buy or replace before the thru hike, and why:
Pack

It's hard to find the perfect pack. It's mostly about fit, and then capacity, at least for me. I have many packs, but am still looking for the perfect pack. I will most likely either make the perfect pack myself or have someone make it for me.
Pad

If they're not accidentally damaged, they wear out. Even foam pads wear out. You might change what you prefer to sleep on by the time you leave for your thru hike.
Bivy

I'm pretty happy with my current bivy, but I think I might be able to do a little better.
Stove

This is another highly personal item. You'll probably buy a bunch of different stoves, and then maybe like me you'll leave all those stoves at home and go completely stoveless.

Drz
12-08-2011, 01:18
Thanks everyone for your help! I think this holiday season I may end up getting a backpack because I need a decent one for day as well as multiday hikes. Instead of getting my thru-hike bag now do you think it makes sense to get a cheap 40 liter one like the REI lookout (http://www.rei.com/product/778463/rei-lookout-40-pack)? I just worry that after getting a tent and sleeping stuff it may not be able to hold 2-3 days worth of supplies. Is that a justified fear?

I think getting a pack now over other things like sleeping supplies makes sense because I don't want to end up getting a bag that doesn't work well with my equipment (to big or small) or one that ends up wearing down on me during the trail because of prior use. If I wasn't going too luxurious with a lower priced 2 person tent do you think I would be pressed for space in a 40 liter bag?

leaftye
12-08-2011, 01:36
40 liters is very small. And it has zippers and is surprisingly heavy for its size. A pack that size is doable, but it's hard to find gear that will fit in than can keep you warm and dry.

RossSFCA
12-08-2011, 04:01
If you are near an REI, they are really great about guaranteed returns for their members (only $20, but it has paid for itself over and over and over). They seem to have a few member sales (20% or 30% off) throughout the year. I have gotten so many things on Clearance or for 50% off... you just have to watch the sales and be patient. Also, members have access to the Used Gear Sales each month (you never know what you are going to find, from nearly new to damaged).

I don't work for them or profit in any way... but here are two examples:

1) I got an incorrectly sized pack (which caused some serious back pain) and I was able to get it replaced with a brand new pack.

2) I had problems with my water filter/purifier and returned it. This allowed me to get a solution that will work better for me during my 2012 thru-hike on the AT.

I read all the reviews on Backpacker.com, as well as the customer reviews (very subjective) on REI.com.

Good luck with your gear search!

searust
12-17-2011, 02:30
Before I had read all the responses, I wanted to answer the question "how long will my gear last?" with -- forever... But the honest answer to the question is really that your gear is going to last until you need a new one--- I realize that a lot of hikers acquire more and more stuff over time and it's really true with any hobby or passion --- heck I own over 50 cameras... Some gear is going to be better for different circumstances. you will find gear that was swell in a review or great in the store that once you get out and use it one time will hate with a passion.

Look through the lists of gear that other people are taking and read responses posted to their gear to get an idea of what you want -- buy quality stuff even if it's used or on eBay, and it will last.

Mountain Mike
12-17-2011, 03:27
Other than clothing, no gear should wear out on a thru, or several. Buy High quality to start with. Your tent/sleeping system is going to be your home for 5-6 months. Same for your cooking system. If you are training for a thru by what you can when you can. Or buy what you can afford for your hike. To try & train with one stove that you can afford now & intend to get another one for your thru make no sense. You could burn food or miscalculte(sp) fuel needs. I still have the stove I used for my thru in 88 & it still works. My down sleeping bag worked for 20 or so years even with a thru. By the best you can & maintain it.

garlic08
12-17-2011, 09:29
...The tough thing IMO isn't gear wearing out, it's getting the right gear the first time....

Ditto this, absolutely. I could not imagine heading off on a trip like an AT thru without tried and true gear. Start selecting, using and fine-tuning your gear as soon as you can.

I started my AT thru with gear and clothing that already had 3000 miles on them. I didn't have to replace anything besides shoes. As noted above, good quality gear that you know how to maintain will last a long time.

bigcranky
12-17-2011, 10:09
Thanks everyone for your help! I think this holiday season I may end up getting a backpack because I need a decent one for day as well as multiday hikes. Instead of getting my thru-hike bag now do you think it makes sense to get a cheap 40 liter one like the REI lookout (http://www.rei.com/product/778463/rei-lookout-40-pack)?

A better choice at REI would be the Flash 65.