PDA

View Full Version : Down sleeping bags that zip together?

sista souljah
12-04-2011, 21:33
Down sleeping bags that zip together....can someone recomend two for me and my husband? Thanks! :)

leaftye
12-04-2011, 21:53
http://zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

Stir Fry
12-04-2011, 22:16
Works the best with retangle bags with full zip. If you get same brand with a right zip and a left zip they should zip together

sista souljah
12-04-2011, 22:23
Works the best with retangle bags with full zip. If you get same brand with a right zip and a left zip they should zip together Good point... So can anyone point me torso rectangular bags that are down and zip together?

sista souljah
12-04-2011, 22:25
Did I say torso bags ?!? I meant "to some" .... It would help if they did cover our torsos though...

leaftye
12-04-2011, 22:39
Don't all rectangular bags zip together?

skinewmexico
12-05-2011, 01:41
Western Mountaineering with a summer coupler. Or a big Jacks 'R Better quilt.

bigcranky
12-05-2011, 08:22
Most sleeping bags will zip together, especially of the same brand. Even two mummy bags will make a good quilt for two people. It's difficult to make one giant bag considering that one of the occupants will have a hood over the wrong side of his or her face.... We zip our WM and Montbell bags together in the summer to make a large quilt, and it works fine, though one bag is inside out because the zippers line up backwards.

Note that in cold weather most people want their own bags, so the zipping-together thing generally works best in warm temps.

Feral Bill
12-05-2011, 12:45
Most sleeping bags will zip together, especially of the same brand. Even two mummy bags will make a good quilt for two people. It's difficult to make one giant bag considering that one of the occupants will have a hood over the wrong side of his or her face.... We zip our WM and Montbell bags together in the summer to make a large quilt, and it works fine, though one bag is inside out because the zippers line up backwards.

Note that in cold weather most people want their own bags, so the zipping-together thing generally works best in warm temps. Don't the bag makers still sell with both left and right side zippers? That eliminates the hood in face issue.

Feral Bill
12-05-2011, 13:10
I just checked up on this. Campmor, at least, has a number of nice, pairable bags.

Trail Bug
12-05-2011, 13:30
Yes most do. I have both the WM and Northface. Work great in the winter as my wife gets it warmed up by the time I go to bed.
Don't the bag makers still sell with both left and right side zippers? That eliminates the hood in face issue.

Tinker
12-05-2011, 13:32
Don't the bag makers still sell with both left and right side zippers? That eliminates the hood in face issue.

Yes, but the OP was looking for rectangular bags, which typically don't have hoods.

I use a Golite Feather-lite hoodless bag, and when it's cold enough I use a hooded garment (fleece, down, or synthetic) to keep my head warm.

My hood turns with me whichever way I face, so my opinion of the necessity of a hood short of a bag for arctic conditions is : If you have a hooded jacket, you don't need one on your sleeping bag (plus it's easier to launder your garments than a sleeping bag, which fits with in with my idea that a down bag should be washed as infrequently as possible, so sleeping nekkit in your sleeping bag isn't doing it any favors.

Back to rectangular bags: Any two identical recangular bags with full separating zippers will zip together at the sides, leaving you each with a zipper of your own which will be at your side. This means that you won't have a cold spot in the middle, since the zipper is not there but at your side.

Tinker
12-05-2011, 13:35
Down sleeping bags that zip together....can someone recomend two for me and my husband? Thanks! :)

Next question: At what temperatures do you foresee using your bags? Here is a great opportunity to maximize the versatility of your sleeping system. If you get a 20 degree bag for the top, and a 40 degree bag for the bottom, you can flip the bag over for warmer weather.
Another option: If one of you sleeps colder than the other, set the bags on their side, with the zipper in the middle, and have a 40 degree bag on one side and a 20 degree bag on the other (of course, wearing temperature-specific clothing inside the bag will help also).

Here's a start: http://www.bizrate.com/camping-hiking-gear/rectangular-down-sleeping-bag-sale/

Feral Bill
12-05-2011, 17:00
Yes, but the OP was looking for rectangular bags, which typically don't have hood
,No, actually she said no such thing. Reread her post.

Tinker
12-05-2011, 17:07
,No, actually she said no such thing. Reread her post.

I meant Original Poster, sorry, not Original Post. There may be some confusion. This might help:

"So can anyone point me torso rectangular bags that are down and zip together?" (Post #4)

I will, however, take this opportunity to point out that rectangular bags, everything else being equal, will always weigh more than their mummy equivalents due to the extra room in the footbox, and that the extra room in the footbox often is part of the cause of cold feet in colder temperatures. Summer to early fall usually isn't a problem for cold feet sufferers.

Rain Man
12-05-2011, 17:20
Wife and I have two Holubars (out of business now) that zip together and also a his and a hers REI Sub-Kilo that zip together. She calls me her "furnace." LOL

Rain:sunMan

tuswm
12-05-2011, 17:52

here is a nice thread with gear for two

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?70170-Gear-for-two/page2

my contrabution to that thread....
Hi guys

We have been hiking as a couple for years. At this point we have a system that works great for us. for us. I see you guys are from MD also. We hike around there all the time.

We went through a lot trying to find mateable sleeping bags. Because of the placement of the zippers REI sucks, kelty and lufalaphleladj, Mountain Hardware are OK but Marmot bags are great. one great thing about Marmot bags is that all model from womens short to mens long have the same length zipper and mate so your heads are even, not so in other bags. I can tell you all the bags from the affordable 650 fill to the 900 fill $$$$ bags all mate. The zippers are also in the middle of the side. If the zipper is on the bottom of the side it doesn't work well. also the most critical part of mating is how the zipper goes up to the face. Also my GF and I have different temp bags that we zip together, She is a cold sleeper. Sounds like max is a big guy. I am Wide, I was a competitive swimmer with big shoulders and I have a REI summer bag. I can NOT zip it up with more than a shirt on. The Marmot bags have the widest shoulders of any bag I mentioned. one trick we learned that saves time is to NOT unzip our bags and put them in one backpack. remember you are a team now not two individual hikers.

jakedatc
12-05-2011, 20:34
GF and I have REI Sub Kilo's and works just fine. sure we end up with our own foot end but it's not a big deal. L and R zip so everything else is the same