PDA

View Full Version : GET Info / Request for 2016

fullcount
12-04-2011, 22:41
I am planning a thru-hike NOBO in 2016. As I am getting prepared for this, I have generated a slideshow presentation on the trail for those who are just now looking at this long distance route. You can access it by going to this site (you may have to copy and paste into your browser):

http://www.slideshare.net/tarksales/presentation-get

N (http://www.slideshare.net/tarksales/presentation-get)ow my request:

I am trying to start the process of putting together a spreadsheet of directions / stops for my trip much like Ken and Marcia Powers did for their American Discovery Trail trip in 2005. Anyone who has hiked portions of this, please feel free to send me a note. I am most interested in the sections that are road walks between the back country areas (i.e, south AL, sections in between the Cumberland routes, etc...). I can purchase my maps for the northern areas and Tim Hupp has done a great job on the trail guide through the Headwaters area. I just need to make sure I can string together the long road sections with water, camping/lodging, resupply, etc...

Thanks for anyone's assistance (Sue are you still out there?).

ki0eh
12-05-2011, 09:40
That's a pretty good presentation, clearly you're doing your homework. One nit for a hiker audience, correct spelling of Earl Shaffer's name http://www.earlshaffer.com/ . :)

I've been told that identifying sections between the Cumberland routes is not considered an organizational priority, and Sue didn't get there so it's possible that might be some original research on your part.

fullcount
12-05-2011, 17:02
I appreciate the heads up on the spelling. Change is coming.

Hmmm....looks like I will be breaking out county maps in TN to link up the sections. Might as well start purchasing them now for AL, TN, KY and WV.

ki0eh
12-06-2011, 11:04
I believe one issue with the Cumberland Trail and roads around is that there are more roads that are perpendicular to the trailway than closely parallel either up or down. This effect would make the roadwalk around considerably longer than the future trail would be, and I recall them saying in a couple of spots you might even have to return to the same road fork down below to walk each section of already completed trail or go way way around.

fullcount
12-06-2011, 14:45
I have read Sue Turner's journal and wondered why she skipped this part. It is my hope that I will not have to do this in 2016. I really do not mind road walks, as long as I am making progress towards my ultimate goal. There really seems to be some gorgeous sections in TN, KY and southern WV that I do not want to miss. There is some time presently and that is why I am looking at county maps along with the different trail guides. If I can put together a basic spreadsheet of where I need to be for water and resupply, then I can plan my overnight stays. We will see what 4.5 years will do for development of this section.

Thanks for the help kiOeh