PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs, NC

Easyhiker
12-12-2002, 07:20
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Hot Springs, NC

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories, would you suggest a maildrop here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

zipcode - 28743

stranger
12-12-2002, 21:38
Easily one of the best towns on the trail, definitely rivals Damascus anyday in my book. Everything you need you basically pass while walking the AT, it's a beautiful thing.

chris
12-13-2002, 10:11
You can resupply pretty easily out of the outfitters. This is convenient since it is just across the street from the pub, where I spent most of my time during the 36 hours when I was in town. The outfitters has cannisters as well as white gas and alcohol by the ounce. Free internet hookup.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2002, 18:08
The Outfitters is indeed the first place you should go food shopping, as they've got good hiker stuff that neither of the 2 little markets carries.

As for lodging, you have many options; I always stay at the Duckett House Inn, a great B&B; beautiful restored turn of the last century farmhouse. One of the owners, Brian, is a former thru-hiker. They also have beautiful tentsites and often, the chance to do a work-for- stay if you feel like gardening, lawn mowing, etc.

Blue Jay
12-26-2002, 11:22
Last year as I was heading north a southbound couple told me about the best massage they ever had was in Hot Springs by a Woman named Marie Judy. They were not lying, all of the soreness that had built up in my back and legs was completely eliminated. If you have the cash, and she is more than resonable, look her up. Just ask around most of the locals also know how great she is.

Jumpstart
12-26-2002, 11:31
Wondering if you have information contrary to what we were told this year...

We were turned away from the Duckett House this year, the guy that met us in the driveway said that we could sleep in the yard for $2 (pitch a tent) if we wanted to, but that we couldn't go inside for any reason, not for bathroom, shower, anything, and that they were trying to "get away from" having thru-hikers stay in the Inn. We ended up at the Bridge Street Cafe B&B (very nice & friednly but pricey) on the first night and then Elmer's on night two.

MOWGLI
12-26-2002, 15:54
Definitely my favorite town in the Southern Appalachians. Not much to it. It's a fairly simple little place. Perhaps that's what I like about it. I felt I couln't take a zero day at that point. Ha ha. Wish I'd know then what I know now. Woulda stayed another day.

dionalaniz
07-20-2003, 13:33
Jumpstart - I called the Duckett House owners regarding my upcoming thru-hike. He seemed to be fine with a thru-hiker frequenting his inn. Granted, this B&B is a little upscale so it costs more $. I think if you have the $ you are welcome to stay. If you don't have the $ you should stay somewhere else. And that, of course, is perfectly reasonable. Having disheveled looking hikers come in from the front yard to use the interior facilities might not bode so well on their more lucrative source of income - tidy couples "getting away" for the weekend.

I talked to the man (forgot his name) at length on the phone and he seemed like a real nice gentleman. I plan to stay there if he's open in January (he might be gone on vacation in the winter).