PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap----Standing Indian NC

stumpy
03-07-2005, 18:46
I am planning a hike from Dick's Creek to Deep Gap on March 21st. Does anyone know if Deep Gap road or Standing Indian Campground will be open? If not, any suggestions on shuttles from Deep Gap (hwy. 64) to Dick's creek, or places to leave a car close to Deep Gap?

Thanks for any info. :D

orangebug
03-08-2005, 00:39
The backcountry parking lot at Standing Indian should be open, outside of the park. As I understand it, the road to Deep Gap is closed due to damage from September's hurricanes - and will be for quite some time.

Doctari
03-08-2005, 06:41
The road to deep gap is "always" closed :p

If you park at the first hiker parking lot just past the park entrance, you can take the (Beautiful) Kimsey Creek trail south to deep gap, about 30 yards from the AT. Kimsey Creek is only about 3.7 miles & is a worthy hike, a good chance to "warm up" as there are no major climbs, just a nice ramble along the creek. I have hiked it in both directions & feel that is my 2nd favorite trail, after the AT natch.
Or, park at rock gap & take the AT over Albert Mt & Standing Indian. Fantastic views that way, but a bit longer hike of about 20.7 miles from Rock gap to Deep gap.

Have a great hike! That is one of my favorite sections done either way.

Doctari.

Kerosene
03-08-2005, 09:55
I really enjoyed my late afternoon stroll down Kimsey Creek Trail on a sunny day in mid-April. I would have loved to sit in one of the many wading pools in the creek on a warm summer day.

While it isn't steep, climbing up from Standing Indian Campground will certainly get the heart pumping.

stumpy
03-08-2005, 13:49
Thank you all for the info. We have hiked Kimsey Creek trail up to Standing Indian and back to the campground using the Lower Ridge Trail (thank God we choose to go that direction!!!!!!!!), but I could not remember if there was a place to park outside the camprground if it was closed. Thanks again for all of your help. I sure hope that the weather is a little better on the 21st. I hear that that area is going to get a good blasting of the white stuff!!!!!!

papa john
03-08-2005, 20:22
The backcountry parking lot is outside the gate and is always accessible.
Papa John

stumpy
03-08-2005, 23:05
Thank you. That makes our original plan a go. I can not wait to get out on the trail again. It has been way to long since I have been on an overnight trip!

orangebug
03-09-2005, 23:27
I did the Lower Ridge Trail one hot Labor Day weekend, uphill. It was the most miserable hike I've ever done. I've also done it downhill, which can be reasonably jogged while wearing gear.

hiker33
03-27-2005, 15:17
I'm planning a section hike next week starting at Deep Gap and heading north. I know FS 71 is closed beyond Park Gap but is the road hikable from that point to the AT? I'll probably just hike in on Kinsey Creek if it's a nice day but want to keep my options open.

Thanks for any info.

max patch
03-27-2005, 17:39
I'm planning a section hike next week starting at Deep Gap and heading north. I know FS 71 is closed beyond Park Gap but is the road hikable from that point to the AT? I'll probably just hike in on Kinsey Creek if it's a nice day but want to keep my options open.

Thanks for any info.

That section is maintained by the Nantahala Hiking Club. You can link to their website via the ATC site. They have a section on their website re road closures and also an email addy for more info if the website doesn't address your specific question.

I've contacted them in the past with email questions. They are always quick to respond.