PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS unit for technophobe who wants help following snow covered trails & blazes

Janeway
12-05-2011, 11:11
Probably my worst fear for my early NOBO start is the possibility of going off trail by accident when snow covers the trail or worse, the blazes, especially if I'm the first to break trail after a heavy snowfall. Of course I'll have my compass and map, but wonder if there is a GPS which can guide me basically step by step on the trail. I'm pretty much of a technophobe so it has to be fairly easy to use (or very good instructions). Also, have the ability to download (is that the right term?) the kind of maps or software that are specific for the AT. I also want world peace, the end of hunger and politicians who will cooperate for the good of all.;) But until these can be realized, I really hope someone is using one of these.

10-K
12-05-2011, 19:54
You will get a lot of different responses on this, most of them probably saying it's unnecessary - and I see the reasoning behind that.

However, last year I was hiking a section I've hiked many times except this time there was more than a foot of new snow on the ground and I just could not follow the trail. But... I had my GPS with me and with that was able to safely keep proceeding forward.

I probably wasn't exactly on the trail but it was good enough to give me the confidence to keep going until I saw another blaze.

Certainly many of the wizened hikers reading this could track dryer lint in a hurricane but we're not all gifted that way.

Janeway
12-05-2011, 22:11
Thanks, 10-K. That situation is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm prepared for snow, I'm just not prepared to get lost in it. I'm hoping for some good suggestions. What kind do you have?

beakerman
12-06-2011, 15:25
I don't think you will need one but that's my opinion based on my experiences on trail, however I enjoy getting off trail once in a while so take that for what its worth.

Honestly from what I have looked at with the recent models almost anything Garmin makes is more than sufficient provided you can load the trail before you head out.

If you don't have a route or some sort of waypoints downloaded, all a GPS will tell you is your current coordinates and where you have been while it was collecting signals from the satellites. Most all of the new Garmins will allow you to put a substantial amount of data on them before you head out so as I said almost any of the new ones will have you covered. Magellan make decent ones too but I don't like them all that much.

Tool around on the manufacturers site, figure out which ones will let you load up your route, I don't know how far you will be hiking while needing the GPS so I can't answer which model or how much memory you will need, and get the lightest one that will get you through the section you are concerned about. You don't need all 2000+ miles of the trail just the sections you will be hiking during the winter months. Once Spring comes along send it home.

Snowleopard
12-06-2011, 17:27
The built in GPS in new smart phones seem to be pretty good and fairly easy to use.
A GPS that includes topo maps is a good idea. Mine is old enough that I'm sure you can do better (cheaper, lighter, bigger screen). At least put in the coordinates of shelters, trail junctions, summits, etc.

10-K
12-06-2011, 19:48
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista hcx.

Topos downloaded and installed on mini-SD card for TN, NC, GA, and SC and another map called "mytrails" which has the AT and every other trail you can think of on it all downloaded from gpsfiledepot.com. All free.

10-K
12-06-2011, 19:51
The built in GPS in new smart phones seem to be pretty good and fairly easy to use.
A GPS that includes topo maps is a good idea. Mine is old enough that I'm sure you can do better (cheaper, lighter, bigger screen). At least put in the coordinates of shelters, trail junctions, summits, etc.

One day I hope to be brave enough to try a smartphone. I keep toying with the idea.

The thing that holds me back is getting it wet and battery life. Right now I have a Boulder G'Zone - waterproof, dust proof, and shock proof - perfect for hiking. With 2 extended batteries and judicious use I can get a few weeks out of them (not that you need that much on the AT).

The thing about battery life is if the battery is only good for 7-8 hours that's not a lot of time for phone calls, picture taking, GPSing, etc. etc.

pafarmboy
12-06-2011, 20:39
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx http://tinyurl.com/7uah844 or the 62s http://tinyurl.com/7h6r5sm I own both and they are bombproof. You can abuse these things to death and they'll keep on ticking. 60CSX is just as good as the 62s, just the older version lacking a few extra bells and whistles. Constant all day use will wear out a set of regular AAs in a day. I use mine for geocaching.

Waypoints @ http://guymott.com/atgps.html Never used 'em, but site looks reliable.

Good luck.

Janeway
12-06-2011, 20:53
Great. Thanks for all the useful info. It will guide me in the next part of my search. Yeah, I figure to send it home after I get through possible snow conditions on my NOBO. Good tip about only needing maps for GA, TN, NC and SC. I will definitely check out the Garmins.

LDog
12-06-2011, 20:58
... Of course I'll have my compass and map, but wonder if there is a GPS which can guide me basically step by step on the trail.

As stated earlier, to do what you want to do, and make it simple, you really need a "mapping" GPS. And, as mentioned earlier, Garmin makes a slew of them. Getting the trail loaded might be a good trick, unless, it's already loaded in one of their topo map products. It might be worth logging some time on their web site. I believe you can review the maps online to see if they have the features you need. You might have to buy multiple products to cover the entire trail. I bought Topo USA - Great Lakes region, and I get great detail for my home turf. But looking at Springer Mountain I see a big inky void between the major highways. The units are expensive, the maps are expensive, and the units are heavy.

If you have a smart phone, for a few bucks you can download an app like Backpacker GPS Trails, Gaia GPS, or BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS, and turn that phone into a mapping GPS. Pretty sure all of these can download maps either as you need them, or when you have connectivity, and store them for offline use. I recently installed BackCountry Navigator PRO, opened it, and it immediately brought up my location on a topo map it downloaded. I entered Springer Mountain in the "Find a Place" box, it downloaded the map (almost instantaneously via wifi), it took me right there, and I was able to follow the AT ... Well, virtually. I plugged in the coordinates for Black Gap Shelter, and it pointed me right to it.

Will it work as well in the real world? As 10K said, battery power is an issue, but if you're just trying to get across a bald, and assuming you pre-loaded maps for the upcoming segments, you can run the program with just your GPS turned on, get back in the woods, and power the (battery) sucker down.

The Garmin GPS might be more accurate, but the smartphone is (arguably) cheaper, lighter, and multi-use.

Janeway
12-07-2011, 08:37
I do have an iPhone, so next up is checking out BackCountry Navigator PRO GPS. Dang. It's for Android, but there I'll check to see if there isn't something as good for the iPhone. Yes, battery is a consideration, but I'm just about to try out the New Trent iCruiser IMP1000 1100mExternal Battery Pack. It seems a tad on the heavy side (14.0 oz with AC adapter and fabric pouch), but I'd like to have backup for my iPhone and iPod. It also can charge my iPad, which I actually considered taking along (for about 15 seconds) but decided it was just too heavy, too big and too pricey to risk all the hazards it would be exposed to. So, if I can find a GPS mapping app that will fit my need, that seems the best multi-use for the iPhone.

Malto
12-07-2011, 09:14
If you think that you will need a GPS because of snow then I would reco getting a "real" gps. Using a GPS on a smart phone will suck the battery down in no time leaving you with no GPS, phone etc. I was lucky enough to be faced with about 500 miles of snow on the PCT this year and I had had my Garmin 60csx AND Ultimate Lithium batteries (lightweight and long lasting especially in the cold.) for the bulk of it.

As far as needing the exact trail track loaded I would argue this is likely unneeded and not the most efficient way to travel in snow. I had waypoints every half mile that were also marked on my mapset. I would look at the terrain and map and pick the EASIEST route, on trail or off trail. Often trail features such as switchbacks are totally ignored in the snow for example. You may drive yourself insane trying to keep exactly on the trail when it treally doesn't matter.

Finally, don't fear the snow, it's a great opportunity to make snow cones!

QiWiz
12-07-2011, 11:30
I have just posted a nice GPS for sale (Delorme PN-40) in the gear for sale forum if you are interested. If you purchase I can even load into the device the topo maps and tracks for the AT sections you would like as well as the AT shelter waypoints. That way you can always tell where you are, whether you are on trail or not, and where the next shelter is.

10-K
12-07-2011, 20:53
As far as needing the exact trail track loaded I would argue this is likely unneeded and not the most efficient way to travel in snow. I had waypoints every half mile that were also marked on my mapset. I would look at the terrain and map and pick the EASIEST route, on trail or off trail. Often trail features such as switchbacks are totally ignored in the snow for example. You may drive yourself insane trying to keep exactly on the trail when it treally doesn't matter.

This is an excellent point which I only hinted at in my first reply.

I didn't have waypoints loaded but I did have the trail on my GPS and there were times I was definitely off the trail but it was easier than trying to stay exactly on the GPS track. I was absolutely confident I was going in the right direction and sure enough - I'd catch a blaze every now and again. Finally got below 3000' on the south side of the mountain and could turn the thing off.

pafarmboy
12-07-2011, 21:00
If you think that you will need a GPS because of snow then I would reco getting a "real" gps. Using a GPS on a smart phone will suck the battery down in no time leaving you with no GPS, phone etc. I was lucky enough to be faced with about 500 miles of snow on the PCT this year and I had had my Garmin 60csx AND Ultimate Lithium batteries (lightweight and long lasting especially in the cold.) for the bulk of it.

Finally, don't fear the snow, it's a great opportunity to make snow cones!

+1 .

Janeway
12-11-2011, 11:18
Well, I've decided to try the Garmin eTrex 20 and the Garmin Trailhead Series - Appalachian Trail on the microSD card. If someone has this, can you tell me if the Trailhead Series for AT be sufficient?

Fredt4
12-14-2011, 12:33
Sorry all you iOS cats there's nothing as good as Back Country Navigator.The biggest reason to use your gps phone Is that you'll be familiar with it when you need it.You'll not forget to replace the batteries that are in the stand alone gps that you haven't use since That last hike, and it's not extra weight since You'll have your phone anyway. Only people that Built fires with flint can seriously object to cell phonesIn the woods.

BrianLe
12-17-2011, 14:11
"The built in GPS in new smart phones seem to be pretty good and fairly easy to use."

+1 to that. I used and do suggest a standalone GPS for the CDT, but for an early start on the AT, I thought that mapping software on my smartphone was plenty good enough. I did pull it out a couple of times when snow completely covered the trail and there were no tracks. For the most part even there the tree corridor is clearly enough maintained that a person can follow the trail, but it was nice insurance having the GPS. As I needed it seldom, however --- and I walked in a lot of snow in GA and NC/TN near the beginning --- it was just fine, and worked well. I truly can't imagine wanting to have to carry the extra weight of a standalone GPS on any part of the AT, even with an early start, unless maybe with an even earlier start than I had in a high snow year, basically straight up winter hiking.

gg-man wrote:

"If you think that you will need a GPS because of snow then I would reco getting a "real" gps. Using a GPS on a smart phone will suck the battery down in no time leaving you with no GPS, phone etc. I was lucky enough to be faced with about 500 miles of snow on the PCT this year and I had had my Garmin 60csx AND Ultimate Lithium batteries (lightweight and long lasting especially in the cold.) for the bulk of it."

Well, YMMV. On the PCT I ran into a lot of snow in the usual places, and there too I was quite happy with my the gps on my smartphone. Again, it was a case of not needing it very often. So you just turn on the GPS receiver the brief moment you infrequently need (or more likely just want) to refer to it. The PCT is overall a pretty well marked trail, and doing passes in the Sierras, or more briefly things like Fuller Ridge or the like --- a smartphone gps is already more than a lot of people have (map and compass, which of course you need to be competent at anyway).

OTOH, I hiked the PCT in a relatively low snow year, so I don't doubt or dispute what gg-man says here; his comments echo my feelings quite well for a lot of the CDT this year. I'm sure that had I done the PCT this year I would have appreciated having some sort of GPS, and indeed anywhere that a person had to hike 500 miles of nothing but snow --- I'd definitely go for a real (standalone) GPS.
FWIW, the DeLorme PN-60w was a pretty tough (weatherproof, durable) unit on the CDT this year, and was actually easier to read the screen in sunlight --- unlike some units that I saw where you could almost not read the screen when you needed it. It has some drawbacks too, but once set up and in "the field" I was quite happy with it.

But definitely overkill for an AT thru-hiker.

jerseydave
12-17-2011, 14:31
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx http://tinyurl.com/7uah844 or the 62s http://tinyurl.com/7h6r5sm I own both and they are bombproof. You can abuse these things to death and they'll keep on ticking. 60CSX is just as good as the 62s, just the older version lacking a few extra bells and whistles

+1 I'm happy with my 60csx

another map called "mytrails" which has the AT and every other trail you can think of on it all downloaded from gpsfiledepot.com. All free.

+1 mytrails is a great file, but it does take some patience to get it downloaded and set up in the 60csx (as do most map upgrades on most gpss')...... gpsfiledepot.com is a great resource