PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping gear?

imaginateer
12-05-2011, 16:10
So... sleeping gear. What are the best sleeping bags and mats in your opinion? i would like something lightweight, but very warm since I'm a cold sleeper. I'm starting March 1st in Georgia.

Also, I've read that one pair of sleeping clothes is enough to bring. Thermal underwear and a polyester shirt? What you think?

Mike2012
12-05-2011, 16:43
I'd bring a few pairs in case someones wearing the same thing.

swjohnsey
12-05-2011, 16:54
Some things are mutually exclusive such as light weight and very warm. Take a look at Western Mountaineering bags. You will not find much lighter bags in the temperature range . . . or much more expensive.

Tinker
12-05-2011, 16:56
Something a mutually exclusive such as light weight and very warm.

900 fill down without the fabric, maybe?

"Welcome to whiteblaze. :) You're going to want to use the search function to find answers to your questions that many have already asked. Participating in an existing thread is preferable to creating a new one."

+2

Use the search function young skywalker.

May the Farce be with you. :p (In other words, you'll get plenty of "advice" from hikers of all shapes, sizes, and preferences, just like in the "non-hiking:eek: "world.

Have fun and make "WHY?" your favorite phrase. "Because" never cut it in my world, and I still ask "why" with astonishing frequency for one of the "older, wiser" crowd.

leaftye
12-05-2011, 17:35
The best sleeping bags are quilts. The best quilts and pads are custom made.

lemon b
12-05-2011, 18:30
Young person like you must have a strong back and light wallet. I'd try and find a used North Face Cat's Meow. Maybe carry a used therm-a- rest type pad, plus one of those Wal Mart Windshield protecters to go under everything.

MuddyWaters
12-08-2011, 21:15
Synthetic and down both have advantages. In the Southeastern US, if you go with down, go with extra. Dampness and high humidity will cause it to not loft as much as expected. Condensation from body moisture within the insulation will reduce loft too. And take every precaution to keep it dry, which is pretty much impossible sometimes. Fortunately the AT provides towns with laundrys where it can be dried every few days if needed.

Dont scrimp on the R value of a mat during cold. Its fundamental to staying warm, not just cushy.

I will get by with a 2.6 oz torso pad a pack under legs in 45+ weather, but when it gets into the 30s, Ill take 2 full lengths of CCF padding of various types.

At 30F I want combined R value of at least 5. (I think the sleeping bag ratings are intended with a pad with R value of 4.7 , so if you dont have a good pad, your bag isnt as good as you expect it to be. When you can feel the warmth radiating back at your backside, then you have enough insulation under you . If you dont you are losing heat.

Thermarest has a new neo-air coming out next spring R value of 5.7 or so, wt of 15 oz I think in full 6' length. That will be a great pad. The all season neo air today weighs 19oz. But inflatables probably arent best choice for thru hike.

wornoutboots
12-08-2011, 23:08
I carry a thermasrest pad that inflates to 1.5 inches ($80 BAss Pro) & a marmot 10 degree bag($140.00 Dicks) I'm very pleased with this system

wornoutboots
12-08-2011, 23:11
I carry a thermasrest pad that inflates to 1.5 inches ($80 BAss Pro) & a Marmot Aspen 15 degree bag($140.00 Dicks) I'm very pleased with this system

JAK
12-08-2011, 23:30
I got a 550 fill for $50 at Marden's in Maine. 20oz shell and 20oz fill, rated to 20F.
I suppose if it was 850 fill, it would be 7oz lighter, or same weight and rated lower.
It's a question of what you are willing to pay. 8oz is significant over 2000miles.

For a March 1st start however, your only going to need some extra loft and clothing for just a month or two, so you might spend most of your money on a good quality 30F bag, and then find some cheap and somwhat heavy or bulky way of beefing it up for a month or two, like long wool underwear, a second blue foam pad, and maybe some sort of cheap overquilt, that can also double as extra clothing, like a DIY fleece cape. Figure something out and test it this winter.

Tinker
12-08-2011, 23:37
So... sleeping gear. What are the best sleeping bags and mats in your opinion? i would like something lightweight, but very warm since I'm a cold sleeper. I'm starting March 1st in Georgia.

Also, I've read that one pair of sleeping clothes is enough to bring. Thermal underwear and a polyester shirt? What you think?

Wear a hat in your sleeping bag to keep the inside of the hood clean.

Bring camp clothing that can supplement the warmth of your bag. You can often get decent down clothing at the local Goodwill (or Salvation Army) store. Synthetic fill might be better if it gets wet, but lightweight synthetic garments don't show up as often at my local Salvation Army thrift store as usable down ones.

Old Boots
12-08-2011, 23:53
You have already read many excellent responses to your concerns. I am leaving Springer mid Feb. and have just purchased a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree baq. I tested it out this week on a night that got below 20 degs. and wore nothing but mid-weight long underwear and a stocking cap and I was very toasty.
I have a North Face Meow which I like and will use later on the AT but this bag meets the challenges of the early days on the trail. See you out there.

Nitrojoe
12-09-2011, 01:15
Iam leaving March 7 on the AT starting at Springer. Ill be using a quilt 20 degree bag with 950 fill made by Nunatak, a full lenght thermorest and medium weight thermal wear from icebreaker. In the shelters and lean twos Ill slip into a light weight bivy and out in the open Ill use my LH solong 6 tent.

jacquelineanngrant
12-09-2011, 17:21
Love my UL Super Spiral Down Hugger Zero bag by Montbell. Costly, but just over 2lbs and pure heaven! Super snuggly and warm. Kept me taosty in the Smokies last year in the snow!

LIhikers
12-09-2011, 21:38
+1 for a Montbell sleeping bag.

TOMP
12-09-2011, 22:14
Just got a SwissGear Outdoor Crevasse Mummy "0 degree" bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Crevasse-0-Degree-Sleeping/dp/B001M0O4O0/ref=sr_1_7?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1323482916&sr=1-7

Its rated well and I agree. I plan on using it with a polyester bag liner for the begining of my 2012 thru hike. I also made myself a sleeping bag cover made of tent material for extra heat insulation and mainly water protection. I plan to use it on rain days and when I am camping in lean-tos to reduce wind, mouse, and other pest issues. I recomend making something like it. It is real easy and only a few ounces.

leaftye
12-09-2011, 22:20
I also made myself a sleeping bag cover made of tent material for extra heat insulation and mainly water protection. I plan to use it on rain days and when I am camping in lean-tos to reduce wind, mouse, and other pest issues. I recomend making something like it. It is real easy and only a few ounces.

Almost all waterproof tent material is not breathable, which means that you could have a recipe for condensation in your sleeping bag. That's not a good idea.

DapperD
12-09-2011, 22:28
Just got a SwissGear Outdoor Crevasse Mummy "0 degree" bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Crevasse-0-Degree-Sleeping/dp/B001M0O4O0/ref=sr_1_7?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1323482916&sr=1-7

Its rated well and I agree.It also states it weighs in at a hefty 7.1 lbs. Also a $40. bag is going to be kind of questionable. I don't know when you plan to start your hike or even which direction, but for an early Northbound you may wind up having to rethink using this bag:-?.

TOMP
12-09-2011, 22:34
yeah it states 7.1, must be the shipping weight or something because its more like 4 lbs ( i use a postal scale for my gear). I have used it with the liners and I am compfy in around freezing temps. Wouldnt expect 0 degree though more like 30 degree.

Also leafy, I have a 1 ft by 1 ft patch of no see ums at the top around my head so that I dont sufficate, but also eliminates condensation on the inside.

leaftye
12-09-2011, 22:38
Also leafy, I have a 1 ft by 1 ft patch of no see ums at the top around my head so that I dont sufficate, but also eliminates condensation on the inside.

TOP, it's good that you're venting your breathe, but what about your sweat? You'd be much better off remaking your sleeping bag cover with tyvek. Keep the face vent though.

DapperD
12-09-2011, 22:39
yeah it states 7.1, must be the shipping weight or something because its more like 4 lbs ( i use a postal scale for my gear). I have used it with the liners and I am compfy in around freezing temps. Wouldnt expect 0 degree though more like 30 degree.

Also leafy, I have a 1 ft by 1 ft patch of no see ums at the top around my head so that I dont sufficate, but also eliminates condensation on the inside.Yes I think you are right. Just read some of the reviews and one buyer weighed it in at 4 lbs. 10 oz.. Another said 4.5 lbs.:-?. I was going to say, forget that:D

TOMP
12-09-2011, 22:44
Well, I may consider it but is hasnt been a problem for me yet. I think that because the patch is so large it vents most sweat as well. Thanks for the tips.

JAK
12-09-2011, 22:52
I would love to try one of those montbell spiral bags. They look awesome.

Another idea I had for a March 1st start, for a cheap and dirty temporary boost to a summer bag, and temporary boost to clothing also, when needed...

1. extra blue foam pad.
2. 20oz long wool underwear inside bag. Fits over skin layers and under mid layers, if needed.
3. 200wt fleece "long poncho" that also fits over bag. Fits over all clothing, if needed. Arm holes, and hooded.

Cheap, and easily ditched once no longer required. Allows a $125 cheaper and 15oz lighter 30deg montbell vs 15deg montbell, and allows you to otherwise use the same clothing you have picked out for late spring, summer, early fall.

Senor Jalapeno
12-10-2011, 15:42
I left march 8th last year and survived with a 40 degree Marmot and a ridgerest with a bag liner and Capilene 2 bottoms with a Underarmour top. But this year i heard my girlfriend splurged and got me a montbell UL super spiral down hugger 15 degree since i was jealous of her bag last year and it weighs the same as my 40 degree anyway. Dont skimp on the bag. being able to sleep at night will make your hike that much better. Plus its f-f-f-freezing down there in march/april.