PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bring Musical Instruments on the AT??

imaginateer
12-05-2011, 16:28
I'm starting in March thru hiking for the first time. Music is my meditation, or medication, haha. I know i'm going to be singing and whistlng the whole way and I'm definately bringing my harmonica. But i also reeeeeeaaallly want to bring my violin. I don't know if I can stand to be separated from her for five or six months. The dampness would probably ruin her though, but has anyone brought any other instruments on the AT other than a harmonica? Ukulele perhaps? ANYTHING? :confused:

swjohnsey
12-05-2011, 17:31
Someone had a cello last year.

Storm
12-05-2011, 17:38
I know I couldn't bring anything that took any wind to blow.

sbhikes
12-05-2011, 17:39
I knew a cellist who had a list of people along the trail he could visit to play their cello. I think his wife would bring his cello when she came to visit. He had to keep practicing because he was a professional and didn't want to lose his callouses. If you are just a casual player, you really don't need your violin. It seems like a good idea now, but honestly you won't really have enough time to play it. You'll be too busy hiking, dealing with daily chores, hanging out and talking with people, getting your town chores done. Even if you did have time, you might feel that you don't want to break the silence or alter the mood or put the spotlight on yourself that way.

Mike2012
12-05-2011, 17:44
Someone tried a SOBO with a tuba one year.

max patch
12-05-2011, 17:46
The only instrument that should be brought and played on the AT is the air guitar.

Slo-go'en
12-05-2011, 18:25

And never made it out of Georgia with it. If you had seen it and the amp which went with it, you'd know why.

Guitar's, banjo's, ukulele's, mandalin's, seen and heard them all. Some good, most bad. Haven't really seen or heard many harmonicas or other wind insturments like a tin whisle or recorder, which would seem to be a natural.

Violin, I think that would be a first. But even if your really good at it, I'm not sure I'd want to be around a solo violin. They work better as part of a blue grass band.

Seeing some one with a string insturment on thier back near Springer is not uncommon. To see them still carrying it half way through NC is very uncommon.

Theosus
12-07-2011, 07:54
Bagpipes! Crowded shelter? Whip them out....Especially if you don't play well.

Gray Blazer
12-07-2011, 08:04
I carry my claves in my back pocket and whip them out for any jam session.

Nick&Bruce
12-07-2011, 09:29
Consider how many hiker make a concentrated effort to shave ounces off the gear they NEED to make it to from GA to ME and consider how many pounds you'd be adding. Also keep in mind that many stringed instruments have metal strings and wood necks and bodies which don't like high humidity much less getting rained on. I've been considering a bamboo ukulele from Cordoba that my store has on clearance but even then replacement string would be a pain and the glues used to hold the instrument together aren't going to be immune even if the woods are. Then you have other hikers to consider and how much energy you have left by the time you make it where you are going. I've been a musician for 14 of my 26 years including the last 8 years which I've been working with the same music instrument retailer. My 2012 NOBO will be my first time away from my gear for over 2 weeks since I picked up the stuff but I don't imagine I'll be away from music for too long. Between weekend hikers and guitars in hostels I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to strum a few chords. Maybe the break from music willbe refreshing to me, but I doubt I'll go so long between run ins with fellow axemen that it'll be an issue. Just my thoughts.

P-Train
12-07-2011, 10:26
I wouldn't really want to hear anything, personally. I guess it depends on the situation.

vamelungeon
12-07-2011, 10:39
Everything you have is going to get soaking wet, and I don't think that is going to do any musical instrument any good. Personally, I don't want to listen to music while I'm out in the woods, I'd rather hear the sounds provided by nature.

Buffalo Skipper
12-07-2011, 10:40
...I'm definately bringing my harmonica.

A wise man once told me that the only time a harmonica has perfect pitch is the sound it makes hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

Bagpipes!

Really, the bagpipes are a greatly misunderstood instrument. For instance did you know that the Scots got the bagpipes as a gift from the Irish. All these centuries later, and they still haven't gotten the joke.

HiKen2011
12-07-2011, 10:47
I fart a lot, music enough for me

Gray Blazer
12-07-2011, 12:34
A wise man once told me that the only time a harmonica has perfect pitch is the sound it makes hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

I heard that perfect pitch is when you throw the banjo and don't hit the sides of the garbage can.

The Weasel
12-07-2011, 16:41

Ye dinna need to worry. Nae but a Scot will knae if ye play the pipes well, and he will forgive a Sassenach who tries.

TW

Harpua
12-07-2011, 18:54
bring the violin! i think itd be awesome to hear out there!!. im noboing next year. hope to hear you someday

generoll
12-07-2011, 22:33
someone has painted in a guitar with a bar through it on the sign at Blue Ridge Gap in GA. kinda sums up most peoples opinions of instruments in shelters. nothing quite like someone who can't play, but insists on doing so anyway around the campfire.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2011, 00:48
Ye dinna need to worry. Nae but a Scot will knae if ye play the pipes well, and he will forgive a Sassenach who tries.

TW AYE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyT6iLy0u1k&feature=fvwrel

Gray Blazer
12-08-2011, 08:01

TW

Captain! The dilthium crystals can't handle warp 8 much longer. The ship's going to blow any minute now!

Odd Man Out
12-08-2011, 12:22

Q: What's the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?

A: No one cries when you cut into a bagpipe!:rolleyes:

Odd Man Out
12-08-2011, 12:26
And if carrying a guitar, be careful of your song selection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR6d08L3nc&feature=related

Odd Man Out
12-08-2011, 12:30

Could be problematic (and yes, I am a cello player)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smgVpcFMp8&feature=related

RevLee
12-08-2011, 19:00
If they're not played well, they make great kindling.

The Weasel
12-09-2011, 13:54
Captain! The dilthium crystals can't handle warp 8 much longer. The ship's going to blow any minute now!

Only a Sassenach would put this quote in "English," a depraved tongue. Tragically, so many of ye think "Scots" is spake wie Jimmy Doohan did. A fine mon, and a Gael for a' that, but Irish, alas.

MuddyWaters
12-09-2011, 16:50
You might love to play and sing. Others around you might not be so fond of it. If you are asked, great. If you arent,well , be considerate of others.

I camp a bit with a guy in my sons scout troop that plays and sings in a bluegrass band, he brings a small guitar with him often. Hes not just a musician, hes a natural entertainer , and can talk and tell stories, make up songs, play just about anything, for hours around campfire. Fun to be around. But he doesnt play unless asked. He tells stories often about all the famous musicians hes met and played with over the last 25 yrs. Its pretty amazing.

TJ aka Teej
12-10-2011, 11:39
Loser and T-Bird had small guitars that made it Maine. A few years back a nobo from Nova Scotia named BlueNose had a fiddle they played at the Monson General's Friday night jam.

Ric Hamel
12-10-2011, 12:53
Just my two cents here but I would be very upset if you whipped out a violin and destroyed natures symphony. Many folks plan and save for years to do a hike like this, to get out and really enjoy what nature has to offer us. Leave your violin at home where it belongs. PLEASE.

Tenderheart
12-10-2011, 12:59
Leave your violin at home where it belongs. PLEASE.

And your cell phone.

Kookork
12-10-2011, 15:58
I fart a lot, music enough for me

I think we can make good hiking mates or maybe we can play a Duo. Is farting against LNT Policy ?

Kookork
12-10-2011, 16:20
Just my two cents here but I would be very upset if you whipped out a violin and destroyed natures symphony. Many folks plan and save for years to do a hike like this, to get out and really enjoy what nature has to offer us. Leave your violin at home where it belongs. PLEASE.

The tail is 2180 miles long. I love to hear some hikers play and sing in some locations. It is a good change of taste . You dont like it ? just pass the spot, it is not more than couple of hundreds that you wont hear the sound. Dont be trail is mine type of hiker. It is not AT 1950 . It is AT 2011.

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 18:19
Will have my guitar at Springer in March and hope to still have it in Maine.

bamboo bob
12-10-2011, 18:32
I met Tubaman in 2005 ? or there abouts. At Kelly-Stand Road in Vt. At the trail crossing. we were doing trail magic (God forbid) and in the way of thanks he played a concert of tuba music for us. Way fun. I had no idea there was even that much tuba music. He had previously run the Boston Marathon with his Tuba. Incredibly in addition to the substantial tuba weight he was also carrying about an inch thick sheaf of sheet music. The tuba was pretty beat up. He was going SOBO , I don't know how a violin would hold up. I hiked in 2002 a bit with a guy who had a banjo, his name was Banjo of course. He played it frequently and seemed happy with it.

hikerboy57
12-10-2011, 18:40
Ive played guitar since I was 8 yrs old, and as much as Id like to have one with me on the trail, i just feel it would be too much intrusion on "natures symphony". I would like to have one for town, however. do they make a "bounce boxable" guitar?

lillyfamily
12-10-2011, 19:07
My son carried a violin (less expensive model) in a sil-nylon foam-padded bag without problems in 2001. Has pix of himself playing on Springer and Katahdin. He also carried and slept in a tent, away from others most of the time and otherwise only played when asked.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-12-2011, 21:45
leave it at home nobody wants to here someone banging on a a guitar or messing with some musical instrument at the end of a long day on the trail save it for your garage

Kiyu
12-12-2011, 22:45
leave it at home nobody wants to here someone banging on a a guitar or messing with some musical instrument at the end of a long day on the trail save it for your garage

Nowhere in this thread did I read that someone who was going to carry any sort of musical instrument was going to force any of you to "here" it. Most people would not play it if some one objected or at least would pitch camp out of earshot of others.

Kiyu

Gray Blazer
12-13-2011, 08:49
The tail is 2180 miles long. I love to hear some hikers play and sing in some locations. It is a good change of taste . You dont like it ? just pass the spot, it is not more than couple of hundreds that you wont hear the sound. Dont be trail is mine type of hiker. It is not AT 1950 . It is AT 2011.

Matty?---....

Gray Blazer
12-13-2011, 08:51
only a sassenach would put this quote in "english," a depraved tongue. Tragically, so many of ye think "scots" is spake wie jimmy doohan did. A fine mon, and a gael for a' that, but irish, alas.

lol............

pixel
12-13-2011, 15:06
my instrument is piano and 5-6 months without that would be tough - so i understand. have you ever seen a backpacker guitar? i'm not sure how practical it would be on a thru hike ... but it may be as important to you personally as carrying a journal or a book is for someone else. plus, you can always ship something home if it turns out it's not worth its weight. main thing is ... make sure you can access an instrument along the way, maybe at a hostel or church or an open mic coffee shop in a trail town, etc. that was my plan last year when i attempted a thru hike with my husband. (i get the whole "meditation, or medication" thing. :) )

Another Kevin
12-13-2011, 15:53
I used to say, "as long as it isn't disturbing anyone...."

But people are so easily disturbed. I've been scolded for carrying a blue backpack (because it was violating LNT by not "minimizing visual impact on the landscape" - apparently everything is supposed to be camouflage). For posting pictures of spectacular views on the net (because "it will only encourage overuse"). For using an established campsite (and "not letting it heal") and for *not* using one (for not "concentrating the human impact to a few damaged areas.") For pulling out my cellphone (and not turning it on!) while rummaging through my pack looking for something else - apparently it was offensive that I was even carrying it.

So I'm sure there will be people here who will tell you that it's unacceptable under any circumstances, even if you're all alone and there's nobody around to hear.

As for me? I love listening to Nature's symphony. And I love hearing the new things that human musicians can come up with in answer to it. So I'd say, "go for it, except that you'll disturb everyone but me." And, things being as they are, I'll refrain from bringing any instrument along, as much as I might like to, because apparently its very presence does disturb a lot of people, even when it's not being played. And I'll also try to stay out of the Jesuitical arguments over what "Leave No Trace" really means.

rocketsocks
12-13-2011, 18:36
I go light....comb and a piece of wax paper.........kuzoo;)

P-Train
12-13-2011, 21:32
I like to gather sunflower seed husks I find along the trail and make my own maraca.

Ric Hamel
12-13-2011, 21:33
I used to say, "as long as it isn't disturbing anyone...."

But people are so easily disturbed. I've been scolded for carrying a blue backpack (because it was violating LNT by not "minimizing visual impact on the landscape" - apparently everything is supposed to be camouflage). For posting pictures of spectacular views on the net (because "it will only encourage overuse"). For using an established campsite (and "not letting it heal") and for *not* using one (for not "concentrating the human impact to a few damaged areas.") For pulling out my cellphone (and not turning it on!) while rummaging through my pack looking for something else - apparently it was offensive that I was even carrying it.

So I'm sure there will be people here who will tell you that it's unacceptable under any circumstances, even if you're all alone and there's nobody around to hear.

As for me? I love listening to Nature's symphony. And I love hearing the new things that human musicians can come up with in answer to it. So I'd say, "go for it, except that you'll disturb everyone but me." And, things being as they are, I'll refrain from bringing any instrument along, as much as I might like to, because apparently its very presence does disturb a lot of people, even when it's not being played. And I'll also try to stay out of the Jesuitical arguments over what "Leave No Trace" really means.

Wow...you have met some very uptight folks. This scares me as I plan on carrying my Droid.

Dont be trail is mine type of hiker. It is not AT 1950 . It is AT 2011.

Not quite sure what this is supposed to mean? Has trail etiquette become passe? I personally don't think it's appropriate. I stand by that. But as dismayed as I would be at walking into a freestyle jam at the end of a long day I would never say a word. I would merely resolve that I now had another mile of hiking in my immediate future. The OP asked for opinions.

atmilkman
12-13-2011, 23:35
In Georgee ya'll might wanna call that vi-o-line a fiddle and play it that way.

atmilkman
12-14-2011, 13:04
In Georgee ya'll might wanna call that vi-o-line a fiddle and play it that way.
Just another little tidbit of info that might be helpful. See'uns hows yer name ain't Johnny I feel it's only fair to warn ya that the devils got a bad habit of a goin' down to Georgia lookin' fer souls to steal and this boy faired allright, but if you can play anything like this gal here you should do okay too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUm59nD8dSo

mirabela
12-17-2011, 20:32
I carried a harmonica and saw a number of people with small, light backpacking guitars. It can be a nice thing. If I were doing it again, I might view a thru-hike as a good time to learn to play the recorder. It's small, it's comparatively rugged, it's somewhat collapsible, and it can sound lovely with a nominal investment in practice. I would think a flute might also be a suitable choice.

tea2trey
12-17-2011, 21:47
I'm debating taking a travel guitar, something cheap. NoBo early March