PDA

View Full Version : Noob question - how to wash a backpack?

BoiledPeanut
12-05-2011, 19:37
Just bought a used pack off CL.

I can live with the musty smell, but is there a way to sanitize it? Febreeze and a good dose of sun?

BoiledPeanut
12-05-2011, 19:39
I did try google and this forum search, but the answers were vague. After a long hike, how do you clean and prep your gear for the next hike?

Spokes
12-05-2011, 20:10
Simple. Fill your tub with warm water and a scoop of "OxyClean Free". Soak and swish the pack around in it. Rinse well, then air dry.

Slo-go'en
12-05-2011, 21:10
Wait a minute - people wash thier packs? I worked really hard to get that pack as dirty and smelly as it is. That way no one will steal it. They get close, take a wiff and back off. :eek:

swjohnsey
12-05-2011, 21:40
You can was ULA packs in the washer after removing any suspension.

Spokes
12-05-2011, 22:10
Wait a minute - people wash thier packs? I worked really hard to get that pack as dirty and smelly as it is. That way no one will steal it. They get close, take a wiff and back off. :eek:

Some people are comfy with their funk, others not so much.....

virgil
12-05-2011, 22:21
Open up all the zippers and pockets. Then, washing it in a tub of soapy water is a good idea. I usually take mine out on the driveway and scrub it with soapy water then blast it every which way with a hose. Either way, thoroughly wash it, thoroughly rinse the soap out of it, then hang it somewhere out in the sun and let it dry, really dry. Then, if you want to, I suppose you could spray it with some kind of fabric deodorizer product. Then you ought to be good to go.

Papa D
12-06-2011, 00:41
I wash my pack occasionally if the sun is shining -- just dunk it in water -- touch up with a little dr. bronners and a sponge for problem areas and let it dry really good -- be careful putting anything even a little bit damp away - food way to grow black mold

max patch
12-06-2011, 08:14
I blast mine at the car wash with that high pressure wand.

Bati
12-06-2011, 09:09
Cleaning probably depends a lot on the type of material and coating used to make the pack
According to the instruction book for my pack (coated cordura):
remove the stays and take off removable parts like the hipbelt so that cleaning is easier.
Shake it and use a dry brush.
If you only need to spot-clean use 1000% naptha products, such as Energine.
If you really need to clean (and it does extend the life of the pack to keep it clean):
fill bathtub with luke-warm water and add 1/8 cup of mild soap such as palmolive dishwashing liquid or woolite. NO harsh detergents or say goodbye or say goodbye to the waterproofing.
Soak for 10 minutes.
use soft brush or sponge gently scrub outside of pack- dont' scrub inner side(different coating).
rinse very well with cool water.
Dry AWAY from direct sunlight.

I've noticed that the cordura eventually breaks down and suspect that's a combination of sunlight, which is known to be bad for nylon, and direct stress on the fibers (scrubbing or my case, strecthing the fabric in certain places on the pack.

Spokes
12-06-2011, 12:08
Dry AWAY from direct sunlight....

I've never understood this statement. You hike with it in DIRECT sunlight. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Odd Man Out
12-06-2011, 14:17
Just bought a used pack off CL. I can live with the musty smell, but is there a way to sanitize it? Febreeze and a good dose of sun?

Febreeze won't sanitize. It is just for odors. The soap and water suggestions below sound better.

BoiledPeanut
12-06-2011, 14:30
Thanks for the info. Do I need to treat it with some waterproofing spray?

Spokes
12-06-2011, 15:12
Spraying your pack with waterproofing is futile and a waste of money. Do what most thru hikers do and use a trash compactor bag as a liner. Virtually bombproof.

BoiledPeanut
12-06-2011, 15:19
Thanks Spokes.

BTW - who is the person in your avatar?

Spokes
12-06-2011, 15:38
My avatar friend.....

Tenderheart
12-07-2011, 15:06
Take the pack frame out and unzip everything. Place in a front-loading washer and clean away. Air dry. Totally agree with trash compactor bag inside for waterproofing. Pack covers don't work. Pack covers don't work.

Bronk
12-08-2011, 08:21
+1 on the car wash.

stranger
12-09-2011, 01:42
Warm water in the bath tub, long soaking period, multiple 'thrashes' in the tub, use a gentle soap, rinse well - remember the odor is likely to be 'inside' the foams, very, very unlikely to remove. Combinations of lemon juice and water (50/50) will kill (but not remove) any mould.

lunatic
12-09-2011, 01:53
Spokes always has the best avatars! And sometimes the best advice. :)

Bucherm
12-09-2011, 05:27
Simple. Fill your tub with warm water and a scoop of "OxyClean Free". Soak and swish the pack around in it. Rinse well, then air dry.

This.

In fact, it's exactly what I did when the cat peed on it.