PDA

View Full Version : Family seeing me off at Springer

Six-Six
12-05-2011, 20:46
I have never been to Springer, so I have difficulty in deciding how best to get my family to the terminus to see me off. Can non-hikers reach the terminus by car or is the only way the approach trail? I know there is a Forest Service road 1.2 miles up trail. Is that a road my girlfriend could safely drive back on by herself? Advice from those who have been there is greatly appreciated.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2011, 20:49
there's a parking lot/road crossing .9 from springer mtn. easy drive. she'll have no problem

PR Man
12-05-2011, 20:51
The service forest road is about 9/10 of a mile. It's a pretty good gravel/dirt road - but it is fairly long and winds around a lot. If the weather is good and there has not been much rain - should be OK. Otherwise - get Josh from the Hiker Hosterl in Dahlonega to shuttle you all up there.

jlb2012
12-05-2011, 20:52
there's a parking lot/road crossing .9 from springer mtn. easy drive. she'll have no problem ...

... unless it has snowed or rained a lot recently - generally there is no problem getting up there but seems to me that last year (or maybe the year before) the road up was pretty much 4 wheel drive only

Six-Six
12-05-2011, 20:53
Lone Wolf - please clarify: is that parking lot/road crossing the Forest Service road up the trail? Or is it before the terminus in the park?

One-8T
12-05-2011, 20:54
I agree that she shouldn't have a problem. My wife dropped me there last Spring and it was not too bad. A bit narrow in several locations and some pretty decent size ruts and rocks, but we went up in a Prius with no problem. Just go slow and be smart in the curves.

Lone Wolf
12-05-2011, 21:01
Lone Wolf - please clarify: is that parking lot/road crossing the Forest Service road up the trail? Or is it before the terminus in the park?it is FS 42 just north of springer

Six-Six
12-05-2011, 21:02
Thanks all. That helps.

mountain squid
12-05-2011, 21:13
FS 42 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?26752-Driving-Directions-to-Springer&p=388678) is a dirt road approx 6.5 mi long. Usually it is passable by cars.

From the parking lot, you hike SouthBound on the AT for .9 mi. Sign the register, take a photo, etc, turn around and then head NorthBound back to the same parking lot (and then continue North).

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

ChinMusic
12-05-2011, 21:16
...we went up in a Prius with no problem. Just go slow and be smart in the curves.

Took my Prius there as well.

Malto
12-05-2011, 21:35
They had a grader on that road a few weeks backs so it may be in better shape now than in the past.

jersey joe
12-05-2011, 21:40
I would say goodbye to family at amacola visitor center by the arch. It is a better place for pictures and easier to get to.

BlakeGrice
12-06-2011, 00:41
That road a few weeks ago was horrible. Horrible. Wet and bumpy. We had the gas pedal on the floor a lot spinning our tires and BARELY moving. I think it all depends on the weather. Dry, it would have been fine.

DapperD
12-06-2011, 00:56
I would say goodbye to family at amacola visitor center by the arch. It is a better place for pictures and easier to get to.Good advice here by Jersey Joe. Otherwise, rent a full size 4x4 to get the family up the forest service road and back so as to not wind up stuck in a mussy mess:D.

Tinker
12-06-2011, 01:12
I would say goodbye to family at amacola visitor center by the arch. It is a better place for pictures and easier to get to.

Plus the Approach Trail is nearly equal to the toughest climbs in the rest of Ga. so you'll know if you can handle the state before you get to the Springer Mt. shelter. :D

Tinker
12-06-2011, 01:14
That road a few weeks ago was horrible. Horrible. Wet and bumpy. We had the gas pedal on the floor a lot spinning our tires and BARELY moving. I think it all depends on the weather. Dry, it would have been fine.

Flooring the gas is a good way to keep the tires spinning - just stating the obvious, I guess - but I drive a standard, so what do I know............:)

It's likely that the tires weren't up to the job. ;)

max patch
12-06-2011, 08:08

That was a unusual situation. The FS had just started their annual maintenance of the road and then it started to rain. The rain turned the torn up road bed into a mess. The road can be driven by any vehicle 99% of the time. The 1% would be if the road is hit by an ice storm. Then virtually nothing is gonna be safe to drive on it.

vamelungeon
12-06-2011, 09:54
If your tires are spinning, back off on the gas....just saying...

Spokes
12-06-2011, 12:16
Don't get so wrapped up in saying your goodbyes that you forget to sign the register hidden in the rock underneath the terminus sign.

Cheers!

bigmac_in
12-06-2011, 13:21
It's all personal opinion, of course, but I would rather have my family send me off from the top of Springer. The short hike from the parking lot to the terminus is pretty easy, but would give them a sample of the trail you will be walking. Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Alpine Jack
12-06-2011, 16:19
I really enjoyed the approach trail, one of the largest waterfalls I've ever "climbed". Like others have said, "its a good way to find out what you can handle", before you get to Springer. Plus, its (Amicalola) a super safe place to leave vehicles - there's been a number of break-ins on FS-42.

Lone Wolf
12-06-2011, 16:56
six-six, stick to your plan. it's an easy walk to the terminus for family members from fs 42 and they can actually be on the AT

ChinMusic
12-06-2011, 17:03
six-six, stick to your plan. it's an easy walk to the terminus for family members from fs 42 and they can actually be on the AT

I agree. Pretty much anyone without health issues can make the .9 miles up to Springer.

bigmac_in
12-06-2011, 17:42

Exactly. . .