PDA

View Full Version : Hello (newbie here, and potential section hiker)!

Skye
12-05-2011, 21:33
Hello, first off, I am really sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't entirely certain where I should put something like this about section hiking and the fact that this is something entirely new to me!
So hi, you can call me Skye. My friends and I are graduating at the beginning of June, so we are planing to try and spend a week or two hiking and camping. For the longest time I have wanted to do at least a section of the AT. So we have decided that we would like to spend a minimum ;of two nights on the trail, but none of us will be able to spend more than a week or two away (it total there will be 3 to 6 of us, depending on how things play out over the next few months, and based on who goes we may be able to spend a good week or more) and the trip would happen some time between late June to early August.
Personally, although I hear it is the most difficult portion of the trail, I would like to start some where in Maine and work my way up to the end at Katahdin, but we could also start further south.

Does anyone have any opinions on what would most likely be best for the time of year? Also any advice on gear or books I should pick up? (we have the basics down in terms of gear, but like I said, none of us have experience outside of staying on a campground)

Also any opinions on what section would be good to do? And if possible a rough estimate on how long said sections might take? The most I have ever hiked in a day was roughly 9.5 miles, plus about a mile walking down the road back to the campgrounds.
But yeah, anyway, any advice/ideas/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

And again sorry if this is in the wrong section :'D

~~ ♥ Skye

Cookerhiker
12-05-2011, 22:58
Welcome to WB Skye. Since your preference for a section hike is Maine, you might want to try the 100 Mile Wilderness starting out of Monson around August 1. It's very scenic and challenging enough but not insufferably so like the southwesternmost 75 miles of Maine. It's further away and will take some logistical planning but it's worth it. I recommended August because you don't want to hike Northern New England in late June unless you enjoy black flies.

Closer to home, Vermont would be a nice hike - again, challenging but not the most difficult part of the AT.

Tinker
12-06-2011, 00:09
The Hundred Mile Wilderness takes most section hikers 8-10 days to complete, and it has a couple of good sized mountain ranges in it - and you haven't even reached the base of Katahdin yet! The dirt roads crossing the AT can be used for resupply if they're passable (depending upon being dry enough and not washed out from spring flood), but, since it isn't a sure thing, I'd ditch the idea for that being a first hike and stick to southern Vermont, heading out of North Adams, Ma. There are several road crossings with regular traffic to use for emergency exits if your hike doesn't go as planned, but much of the AT gives the feeling of being wilderness in that area. Once you're up out of North Adams, there aren't any big climbs until you get to Stratton Mountain, four days or so in, if I remember correctly.

I forgot Glastenbury Mt. It's long but not too steep.

Stratton Pond has great swimming (and the caretaker charges for site use).

BlakeGrice
12-06-2011, 00:38
I can tell you from doing 3 days a few weeks ago as a newbie- its a lot harder than you think- and you're gonna overpack. Bring poles.

OldFeet
12-06-2011, 09:39
I'll second Tinker's suggestion of starting in North Adams and heading north. It's a little over 90 miles from North Adams to route 103 in Vermont and this is one of my favorite stretches in Vermont. There are some decent climbs but nothing ridiculous and some nice views from the Glastenbury and Stratton firetowers as well as Harmon Hill, Bromley and Mt. Baker.