PDA

View Full Version : Winter fun (updated an article)

Mags
12-06-2011, 01:00
http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/d/16466-2/aaf_009.jpg

It is now December.

A bit colder to say the least!

But, it is not the time to stay indoors, but to experience nature in a different way.

It is easy to discuss gear for an AT thru-hike.

It is far more fun, healthy and satisfying to get out there, get some exercise and enjoy the beauty of nature during winter.

I updated an article I wrote about snowshoeing. But, 80%+ of this article can relate to any endurance based outdoor activity during the winter (such as hiking or backcountry skiing).

Get out there...and have fun! Would you rather discuss gear..or get out there and use it? :)

http://www.pmags.com/intoduction-to-snowshoeing-basics

Tinker
12-06-2011, 01:33
Snowless man
Will work for snow.

:D

Nothing from here to northern NH as of last weekend.

JAK
12-06-2011, 07:21
Nice article. Good info and fun pics. Let it snow.

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2011, 09:32
Snowless manWill work for snow. :D Nothing from here to northern NH as of last weekend.54 degrees and raining at the moment in Connecticut. Gave the snowshoes a once over last week, but I think they'll be on standby for a while.Mags, thanks again for all the great articles, everytime you post photos of hikes in Colorado I get jealous!

garlic08
12-06-2011, 10:18
Thanks as usual Mags, for the great reminder of what it's all about.

What's going on here? We got snow, ice, and single-digit temps in central AZ tonight. New England have have this stuff!

skinewmexico
12-06-2011, 11:38
Snow on the ground here in West Texas, but don't really need snowshoes. It is 17 degrees though. I'm afraid all of my upcoming outdoor fun will be cutting broken branches out of my trees. Mags has all the fun. Sometimes I wish he would keep it to himself though!

Mags
12-06-2011, 11:49
If it is any consolation, I'll be in Germany for two weeks. No outdoor fun from Dec 22nd - Jan 8th....

Rumor has it, Germany has great beer, though.

My future-in-laws don't speak English. My German is almost non-existent.

We'll get along great!

skinewmexico
12-06-2011, 12:22
That will be an interesting trip. You'd better be asking for a Rosetta Stone in German for Christmas!

Ender
12-06-2011, 16:53
A good chunk of my wife's family is German. Communication is always a challenge, but if you eat lots of their food and drink their (delicious) beer they don't seem to notice the language barrier at all. :sun

If it is any consolation, I'll be in Germany for two weeks. No outdoor fun from Dec 22nd - Jan 8th....

Rumor has it, Germany has great beer, though.

My future-in-laws don't speak English. My German is almost non-existent.

We'll get along great!

garlic08
12-06-2011, 17:07
I traveled through Germany, too, with no language at all. Just remember the word bitte. It means almost everything, like "please", "excuse me", "Hey, waiter", and "I can't understand a word you're saying". And Einbannstrasse is not a street name. It means "one way street", so don't try to find it on your town map. You'll be embarrassed a few times, and the locals will enjoy laughing at you, but you'll have fun.

Snowleopard
12-06-2011, 17:18
Snowless man
Will work for snow.

We've had almost 3 FEET of snow so far, and NONE on the ground now, temps up to 60s lately.:mad: :(:mad:

blackbird04217
12-06-2011, 17:55
Not a bad read. Most common sense, especially after hiking; but I did read nearly all of it anyways as I am considering trying out snowshoeing this year pending equipment costs.

Mags
12-06-2011, 18:02
A good chunk of my wife's family is German. Communication is always a challenge, but if you eat lots of their food and drink their (delicious) beer they don't seem to notice the language barrier at all. :sun

Adrianna's Mom is supposed to be an awesome cook. I'm looking forward to the food and beer. My waist line? Not so much!!!

I traveled through Germany, too, with no language at all. Just remember the word bitte. It means almost everything, like "please", "excuse me", "Hey, waiter", and "I can't understand a word you're saying". And Einbannstrasse is not a street name. It means "one way street", so don't try to find it on your town map. You'll be embarrassed a few times, and the locals will enjoy laughing at you, but you'll have fun.

As long as I don't hear Adrianna's parents mutter dummkopf after they meet me, I should be all set. :)

I can also say "This tastes very good" in German. Nothing like a little brown nosing my future mother-in-law.

Not a bad read. Most common sense, especially after hiking; but I did read nearly all of it anyways as I am considering trying out snowshoeing this year pending equipment costs.

Written more for the outdoors person with less experience. Most casual hikers (who can get away with blue jeans and a fleece..even for an easy backpack) really don't know what to wear in winter.

But, even experienced hikers (who have minimal winter experience) may glean something from it. :)

I'd check out places that have rentals. Many times these places sell last years rentals for cheap. Sometimes you'll find used snowshoes but they are usually beat to crap vs used skis.

mudhead
12-06-2011, 18:07
52*F at 5AM.

Rain.

You sick fools can have that white stuff.

But I do like it when you tromp a trail like the one in the pic.:)

Mags
12-07-2011, 11:58
52*F at 5AM.

Rain.

You sick fools can have that white stuff.

But I do like it when you tromp a trail like the one in the pic.:)

Must rather have snow than rain any day! Cold rain is just nasty.... :)

mudhead
12-07-2011, 14:32
Well it be nasty today.

Easy shoveling tho.

atraildreamer
12-08-2011, 14:33
Snowless man
Will work for snow.

You can have any that falls where I live. :mad: Come on down to Wickenden St. with your snow shovel. :D

DLANOIE
12-09-2011, 13:02
Once the snow piles up high enough at the bottom of my driveway, I usually put a sign up saying "free for the taking". No one ever helps themselves for some reason...