PDA

View Full Version : 50 + years old Women NOBO in 2012

ckwolf
12-06-2011, 10:04
wonder if there are others interested in loose team for thru hike coming up? very excited, gear recommendations anyone?:)

torii
12-06-2011, 21:14
Me - 53 yo.
Hiking Partner - 62 yo.
Start date - Mar.8th - staying march 7th at Amicola State Park Lodge

ckwolf
12-07-2011, 10:19
Hi Torii, maybe we'll meet! How do you feel about the hike? I am way too aware of hurdles, working on finding my own joy and enthusiasm, not expecting encouragement at home, having tried before. Feel less fit than ever, will begin walking with pack next week, have lot of work to do between now and then.

tomman
12-13-2011, 05:10
Hi Torii,

I would be interested in the hike. I am a 76 year old male with COPD so I would to start our very slow. Because of my slow start I am having a hard time finding someone to hike with. I may have to start alone and hope to meet someone on the trail that hikes at about the same speed as I do. I am working out at a gym here in Garland,Texas which is about 10 miles north of Dallas. I hope to get into good enough shape to start and then build my self up more on the trail as I climb the mountains. I went out in 2007 but had to stop after only a few days. When I came home I found the problem was not my COPD but my heart. I had to have open heart surgery and a 4 way bypass but am now back in good shape. It turns out my heart doctor is also a backpacker, I just found out this week, and he said I would be alright to backpack. So I plan to start about the 15th of March going North.

ckwolf
12-13-2011, 16:48
Hey Tomman, I won't be starting quite that early, a couple-few weeks later I expect but hope to meet you on the trail, used to be a CVICU nurse, don't really know what it is like for someone after they have left ICU. I am amazed and awed by your goal, sounds like you will be in better shape than me. But I have to say that just making the decision makes me feel healthier and even younger! The power of the mind :)