PDA

View Full Version : Neo air Q?

Lyte-w8-hyker
12-06-2011, 12:29
I'm planning a little winter hike this weekend, this will be a great chance to test out my montbel Ul hugger 1 im going to use on my section hike next sprig. I expected lows are between mid to low 30's. Is this to cold for my neo air, should I bust out the ole reliable ridge rest closed cell?

ChinMusic
12-06-2011, 12:37
I'm planning a little winter hike this weekend, this will be a great chance to test out my montbel Ul hugger 1 im going to use on my section hike next sprig. I expected lows are between mid to low 30's. Is this to cold for my neo air, should I bust out the ole reliable ridge rest closed cell?
My personal experience is that the Neo is fine to the low 30s. If I were you I would bring something like a thin (1/4") pad for use under the Neo on your "little winter hike". Use that trip as a test.

I bring a torso-sized 1/4" pad for use under my Neo in winter. That pad doubles as a sit pad and as a porch for entering my tent.

jakedatc
12-06-2011, 13:49
my brother swears by putting a mylar emergency blanket under his pad in the cold. i haven't tried it myself but it is a light option. a small section of tyvek might also work.

Kerosene
12-06-2011, 17:02
I've taken my Neo shortie (R2.5) down into the 30s and been perfectly warm in a 20-degree bag with the padded framesheet of my pack under my feet.

Tipi Walter
12-06-2011, 17:20
People who own the NeoAir mention it in a thread but there's no reference to which NeoAir it is. Strange. It seems a dang important point, especially if you're talking about the All Season at 5R.

ChinMusic
12-06-2011, 17:27
People who own the NeoAir mention it in a thread but there's no reference to which NeoAir it is. Strange. It seems a dang important point, especially if you're talking about the All Season at 5R.

I would consider any mention of the NeoAir without any additional info would mean the original, as it was in my case.

Lyte-w8-hyker
12-14-2011, 21:36
yea i have the orginal, I left it at home and I was glad it got down to 18def F. my closed cell foam mat and montbell UL #1 worked well

ChinMusic
12-14-2011, 22:20
yea i have the orginal, I left it at home and I was glad it got down to 18def F. my closed cell foam mat and montbell UL #1 worked well

I've had my Neo down to those temps with a 1/4" torso pad and did fine.

tuswm
12-16-2011, 02:33
I had mine down to about twenty with no problems. But I was in a t trap tent and rei sub kilo. Rated at twenty. I had been hiking for weeks by that point so my metabolism was up. And most important is that the ground was still warm.... I am sure it would have been a Much colder night if the ground had been frozen for months.

FamilyGuy
12-16-2011, 13:20
I found the regular NeoAir to be cool for me in the mid 30's which meant a bit of a fitfull sleep. I used a Marmot Hydrogen with the pad. I think you may want to supplement the pad with a closed cell foam, even if it is just torso sized, and maybe put your pack under the NeoAir at the foot end.

Warmth is a very personal thing.

benji
12-27-2011, 04:23
The R rating of the Neo air is 2.5 as opposed to the Z lite R rating of 2.2.. The Neo air is obviously more comfortable, lighter, and uses an integrated space blanket to help reflect body heat.. I've been using the good ol Z lite for years but my 37 year old back has had enough.. I switched to the neo air, dumped my 0 degree 4 lb bag, and am now using a 40 degree Marmot 800 power fill bag all wrapped up in a SOL emergency bivy... The results were COMFORT, WARMTH, and 2 lbs of weight/ 4 liters of pack space.... This being done several times at altitude and sub freezing temps. All I had to sacrifice was a .3 loss of R rating which in my opinion is 1 degree F. My 8 year old Husky doesn't seem to mind the crinkling noise!! GOOD LUCK BROTHER... enjoy that montbell hugger.. I had to settle for something I could get at half price but the 800 fill #3 SS Hugger was my dream bag.. happy trails

MNBackpacker
01-17-2012, 11:55
What about the moisture from you breath freezing? Could that harm the pad?