PDA

View Full Version : WEDGE on lightheart tent

Megapixel
12-06-2011, 14:09
What purpose does the WEDGE feature serve on the tents? I thought it was vestibule space, but the specs indicate no change in size between wedge and standard. Thanks for the help.

Spools
12-06-2011, 14:57
As a new owner of the wedge, it does provide about a foot and half of "porch" space. as well as offer a nice view out of the tent. I could easily put my pack under the awning leaning against trekking pole and still enough space and venting to cook under.

Megapixel
12-06-2011, 15:12
so it is more space in the vestibule than the standard model?

Persistent
12-06-2011, 18:04
Megapixel,
The Wedge option creates an awning out of the regular fly. The body of the tent is exactly the same. It just adds a wedge shaped piece of fabric sewn onto on side of the zippered fly with an additional zipper added to the other side. It creates a fairly spacious area under the awning that can be used for storage or other purposes. It also provides continuous views, great ventilation, and dripless entry and exit into the tent in the rain. When the weather gets too bad, you just remove the awning pole and unzip the wedge zipper and zip up the fly zipper and it converts back to the normal fly configuration (just like the other side). Check out our site for pictures on the Solo Wedge, Solo Awning, and Standard Solo to see the differences. If you have further questions, don't be afraid to PM me or send an email.
Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

Tinker
12-06-2011, 18:24
One thing it improves is ease of getting into and, especially, out of, the tent when there's condensation on the underside of the fly. When you have a small, low tent (or a small tarp) you tend to wipe the condensation off with your back and your back ends up wet, which you take back into your sleeping bag if you have to visit the privy in the middle of the night.