PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of Pur Explorer filter cartridge

Arden
12-06-2011, 18:30
Hi;
I have a replacement filter cartridge for the Pur Explorer, that I bought many years ago. It may be 10 years old.
It is still in the original sealed plastic bag and in the carton.
Do you think it is still good?

Thanks

Arden

txag
12-06-2011, 19:08
I don't believe that there is anything to degrade in the filter so you should be OK. It will probably be the last one you can find for the unit anyway.

PUR got out of the water filter business and sold their technology to another company. According to this new company's website they no longer make the Explorer replacement filter. I found this out trying to get a replacement for my Scout - saw the writing on the wall and found another brand of filter.

http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/water/p762.htm

Arden
12-06-2011, 21:36
Thanks.
I was thinking of selling it on Ebay. I paid $50 for it at a local outdoor store. Maybe if it's no longer available, and I can find someone who really wants it, I could get close to what I paid for it.
Can't lose more than a buck or so trying, right?

arden

Toolshed
12-06-2011, 22:07
My Vote is Still good. I had the PUR Scout for many years - I beleive the shelf life may have referred to the "iodine Resin Matrix" or the "Activated Charcoal Post-Filter" that was used to reduce the taste of iodine. BTW, the DEA (I beleive it was the DEA), found that the Iodine Matrix was essentially useless, since the water passed through it too quickly for it to kill viruses. This is one guys take.....

txag
12-07-2011, 00:15
I had forgotten about the Iodine Matrix....but the media should still be good.

This is kind of like driving an old Triumph Spitfire - unique and fun to use when you can get the parts - but questionable reliability and safety? Getting some $$ from selling the filter and using that as a downpayment on a new filter system might be the thing to do. Good luck!