PDA

View Full Version : Best day hikes/day loops in the summer?

melonhead
12-06-2011, 21:39
Probably been discussed a zillion times, and I did go through 3 pages of threads, but I was hoping to get the best day hikes/loops within a 30 minute drive of pigeon forge, tn. Something in the 8 mile range. Would love to do backcountry, but me and the gf decided on renting a cabin (which is good since ill be proposing) :banana

We're big fans of waterfalls, swimming holes, and views. But who isnt. We're in good shape, so the level of difficulty isnt a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. First time GSMNP'ers.

Emerson Bigills
12-06-2011, 22:38
The Alum Cave Bluffs trail is about 5 miles to the top of Mt. Leconte in the Great Smokey Mtn National Park. It isn't easy, but if you are in decent shape you will have no problem. There are other trails down, but they won't take you back where you started.

There isn't a better hike day hike in the southeast as far as I am concerned. Up and back, about 10 miles, I do it in less than 6 hours and I am not in very good shape. The first mile of the trail is very easy and pretty flat, the last four or so are steady ascent with a few cabled exposures. Nothing a sober person would have to worry about. There are cabins and a rustic lodge at the top of the mtn, along with a shelter. Some really nice views going up and at the top.

If you don't love hiking Leconte, you don't like to hike.

melonhead
12-09-2011, 12:22
The Alum Cave Bluffs trail is about 5 miles to the top of Mt. Leconte in the Great Smokey Mtn National Park. It isn't easy, but if you are in decent shape you will have no problem. There are other trails down, but they won't take you back where you started.

There isn't a better hike day hike in the southeast as far as I am concerned. Up and back, about 10 miles, I do it in less than 6 hours and I am not in very good shape. The first mile of the trail is very easy and pretty flat, the last four or so are steady ascent with a few cabled exposures. Nothing a sober person would have to worry about. There are cabins and a rustic lodge at the top of the mtn, along with a shelter. Some really nice views going up and at the top.

If you don't love hiking Leconte, you don't like to hike.

Thanks for the insight! Exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

Ox97GaMe
01-11-2012, 01:16
Depending on where you are staying in Pigeon Forge, the '30 min' requirements might be difficult to obtain. Traffic is heavy during the summer going into and around Gatlinburg and near the outlet mall areas of Pigeon Forge. Get an early start and look at taking the Gatlinburg bypass over toward the Sugarland visitor center if you are going to hike LeConte.

Another option would be to hike up to Mt Camerer Fire Tower. You can take Low Gap trail to AT to the tower (approx 5 miles each way) or come in on the AT from Davenport Gap (6 miles each way). Either route would be less vertical climb than Leconte, but will still get your attention if you are not in good shape. Most of the locals say that Camerer is the best 360 view in the park.

If you are open to a little longer drive and not quite as much elevation gain, then you can also look at an out and back from NewFound Gap to Charlies Bunyon along the AT. It is approx 4 miles each way. You can also take a short side trip over to The Jump Off.

If you want some cascades/waterfall routes, you might consider either Grotto Falls, Rainbow Falls, or Ramsey Cascades. These are accessed from trailheads on the east side of Gatlinburg, between Sugarlands and GreenBriar.

TNOUTDRSMN
01-16-2012, 09:30
LeConte up Alum Bluffs Trail would be hard to beat for variety and views. Get an early start to get ahead the crowd on this very popular hike and enjoy the cool mornings. On the Trail at first light would not be too early. We've left as late as 1PM - still a great hike, just more people. If you choose LeConte, make reservations ahead and they will have lunch waiting for you at the famous rustic lodge - all food and supplies transported by llama - google 'LeConte' for info. The summit is over 6,000 - not a big deal but if you are coming from Mobile (El - 0') stay well hydrated - the mountains can be deceiving about the amount of water needed. Coming out of the park on 441 into G'burg the late afternoon in June - expect delays and plenty of traffic. Another idea, but slightly outside the 30 minute radius would be to make the drive over to Cades Cove and ride the 11 mile loop on bikes on Saturday or Wednesday mornings beore 10 AM (before they let the cars through). A great way to see the cove and enjoy a bit of Appalachian history. You will see deer and turkey almost for sure and maybe a bear if you're lucky. They rent bikes at the cades cove campground. Abrams Falls is one of the well known waterfalls in the park - an easy 5 mile RT hike located at the west end of Cades Cove. A beautiful waterfall and the pool is big and deep enough for a swim. You mentioned swimming holes - the 'Y' - the confluence of the Little River and the Middle Prong of the LR is located 2 miles SE of Townsend. A popular spot for locals and visitors. Lastly, Little River Trail Southeast of Elkmont Campground follows the Little River and connects to Cucumber Gap. Another easy 4 - 5 mile loop with more history about the park. On the way out, take the short spur off Jake's Creek to see Mayna Avert's cabin. Have a great visit and congratulations on your engagement.

HooKooDooKu
01-18-2012, 01:34
Can't stress that "start early" so that you can avoid the traffic.The biggest problem with the Smokies, is that there are very few single day "loop" hikes, unless you have two cars, or hire a shuttle. Most hikes are going to be "out and back".If you only have one vehical, here's some of the hikes to consider that are less than 8 miles long round trip (but perhaps just a little farther than 30 minutes away):Ramsey's Cascades - trail head is in the Greenbrier area 8 miles round trip.Alum Cave Bluffs - 5 mile round tripChimney Tops - 4 miles round trip (steep with difficult scramble at the end... but the best view of the park IMHO)Andrew's Bald - 4 miles round trip from Clingman's dome parking lot.Charlie's Bunion - 8 miles round trip along the AT starting at New Found Gap.Abram's Falls - 4 miles round trip from starting at the far side of Cades Cove (don't go on Wed or the weekend... traffic in the cove will be a killer... driving time around the cove can still be 1 hour off peak)Rainbow Falls - 4 miles round trip

HooKooDooKu
01-18-2012, 01:36
Can't stress that "start early" so that you can avoid the traffic.The biggest problem with the Smokies, is that there are very few single day "loop" hikes, unless you have two cars, or hire a shuttle. Most hikes are going to be "out and back".If you only have one vehical, here's some of the hikes to consider that are less than 8 miles long round trip (but perhaps just a little farther than 30 minutes away):Ramsey's Cascades - trail head is in the Greenbrier area 8 miles round trip.Alum Cave Bluffs - 5 mile round tripChimney Tops - 4 miles round trip (steep with difficult scramble at the end... but the best view of the park IMHO)Andrew's Bald - 4 miles round trip from Clingman's dome parking lot.Charlie's Bunion - 8 miles round trip along the AT starting at New Found Gap.Abram's Falls - 4 miles round trip from starting at the far side of Cades Cove (don't go on Wed or the weekend... traffic in the cove will be a killer... driving time around the cove can still be 1 hour off peak)Rainbow Falls - 4 miles round trip Dang, that totally screwed up my paragraph formatting. Lets try again:Ramsey's Cascades - trail head is in the Greenbrier area 8 miles round trip.Alum Cave Bluffs - 5 mile round tripChimney Tops - 4 miles round trip (steep with difficult scramble at the end... but the best view of the park IMHO)Andrew's Bald - 4 miles round trip from Clingman's dome parking lot.Charlie's Bunion - 8 miles round trip along the AT starting at New Found Gap.Abram's Falls - 4 miles round trip from starting at the far side of Cades Cove (don't go on Wed or the weekend... traffic in the cove will be a killer... driving time around the cove can still be 1 hour off peak)Rainbow Falls - 4 miles round tripGrotto Falls - 4 miles round trip (relatively small falls, but you can walk behind it)