PDA

View Full Version : shamwow!

ekeverette
12-06-2011, 22:10
i took a 6" by 6" shamie ( can't spell) with me on a rainy section not to long ago, and man that thing was great for drying stuff up. my question: i've heard some folks take them and put wet clothes in them and twist them tight to dry the clothes out.... should i take the original size shammie for all that, which would weigh a bit more, or stick with the 6" by 6" version? :-?

JAK
12-06-2011, 23:10
Once you get a sham wow wet, if you wring it out, will it still draw water from a wool sweater or fleece top that has also been wrung out? Just asking.

hh3f
03-15-2012, 15:26
I used a piece last summer during a section and it worked well for a camp towel. Not good at all for cleaning glasses,still must use piece of cotton or other appropriate eye glass cloth.

springerfever
03-15-2012, 21:29
ShamWow is a great little towel to pack. Perfect for removing condensation/rain from a tent. Makes a great pad to keep from burning yourself removing a handle off a stove. Excellent for washing hands/face with a little Dr. Bronners soap. Pretty good substitulte for moleskin too. Just be careful, mice LOVE this stuff !!

moytoy
03-15-2012, 22:58
Once you get a sham wow wet, if you wring it out, will it still draw water from a wool sweater or fleece top that has also been wrung out? Just asking.
Probably not. But the shamwow will dry faster that the fleece or wool. I use a dry shamwow to dry my wool socks and it works pretty good.

moytoy
03-15-2012, 23:02
I cut the original Shamwow in half for hiking. I'm guessing that's about 12' X14".

moytoy
03-15-2012, 23:03
errr...12"X14"

Brady
03-15-2012, 23:07
yea a 12'x14" piece would be pretttyyyyyyyy big

blackbird04217
03-15-2012, 23:16
I actually had a small one in my 'kitchen' and a larger one tied to my pack. The larger one didn't actually get much use, but when it did, I was glad I had it. Was forced to setup in the pouring rain, waited for it to let up but it wouldn't. The large one allowed me to take, without exaggeration, a quarter inch puddle out of my tent. It took several wringing outs, but I went from swamped, to wet. Which I consider useful. I am sure the small kitchen one could have done this feat with a little more effort, but all the same. Makes a great camp towel, and yes- mice love them.

WingedMonkey
03-16-2012, 12:56
Unless you want to make them smaller anyway, don't toss them in the drier.
:p