PDA

View Full Version : Winter hike!!

hikingshoes
12-07-2011, 07:45
We are planning a winter hike from NFG to I40. I came up with this so for.
Day1: NFG - Pecks Corner Shelter -10.4miles
Day2: Pecks Corner Shelter - Cosby Knob Shelter - 12.9miles
Day3: Cosby Knob Shelter - I40 -9.9miles
Is this to many miles for a winter hike? We do pretty good at 10miles a day that gives us time to enjoy the hike,take pics..etc...
Thanks,HS

Pringles
12-07-2011, 08:24
You didn't mention which month of the winter. The days can be pretty short in the winter, so take that into consideration when you plan your mileage. Have a good hike. Pringles

Papa D
12-07-2011, 08:44
These might be short days for some people and long days for others - without any more info, I'd say it's fine contingent upon weather. You should assume some snow cover and evening temps well down into the teens or 20s in the GSMNP --- assuming that it's 40s in the day and 20s in the night with a little snow cover, rime ice, and regular winter trail conditions, you'll probably be fine or even get ahead of schedule -- remember though that the weather can get so harsh in the park that even the most expert and fit hiker couldn't possible manage what you've laid out

Ironbelly
12-07-2011, 09:00
Like already mentioned it really depends on the weather and when your going in general. In theory your plan is sound. In actuallity it might be difficult to achieve that mileage or even impossible depending on the snow depth and conditions. Just so you have an idea, during period of deep snow or otherwise adverse winter weather you can be lucky to get 4-6 miles a day.

coheterojo
12-07-2011, 09:05
Hey Hiking Shoes! I'll be hiking from Fontana Dam on 12/26 to Standing Bear Hostel on New Year's Eve. I've done the Smokies many times before in the winter and the whole AT(in the park) has never taken me more than 6 days. Of course the weather can change everything.

See ya there maybe!

The Solemates
12-07-2011, 10:11
not sure when you are going, but the smokies are fixin to get hammered with snow with this latest front coming thru. be prepared.

chelko
12-07-2011, 11:51
I would extend the last day another 2 miles and hike to Standing Bear Farm. Parking there is much safer and Curtis could arrange your shuttle to NFG.

The Solemates
12-07-2011, 12:39
I would extend the last day another 2 miles and hike to Standing Bear Farm. Parking there is much safer and Curtis could arrange your shuttle to NFG.

agree........

hikingshoes
12-07-2011, 12:56
Sorry, guys the Dates : Dec.17 - 19 or Dec.17 - 20...@ EL Flaco..lol,Dont think i can do 20miles aday but it would be great to hike with you again brother.
We are planning a winter hike from NFG to I40. I came up with this so for.
Day1: NFG - Pecks Corner Shelter -10.4miles
Day2: Pecks Corner Shelter - Cosby Knob Shelter - 12.9miles
Day3: Cosby Knob Shelter - I40 -9.9miles
Is this to many miles for a winter hike? We do pretty good at 10miles a day that gives us time to enjoy the hike,take pics..etc...
Thanks,HS

Ktaadn
12-07-2011, 16:43
I think your mileage goals are very reasonable. I've done as much as 18 miles in one day in the winter. There was probably only about 6 inches of snow on the ground though. Have fun!

bigcranky
12-07-2011, 19:25
That's easy miles for that section if there's not too much snow. If there's a lot of snow or ice on the trail, you'll slow down. I'd bring some sort of traction device for my boots.

wornoutboots
12-07-2011, 22:52
another thing to think of is leaving your car closer to Gatlinburg, if you are able to originally park your car at NFG you may not be able to get back to it after your hike if the weather turns.

bigcranky
12-08-2011, 08:37
another thing to think of is leaving your car closer to Gatlinburg, if you are able to originally park your car at NFG you may not be able to get back to it after your hike if the weather turns.

Yes, better to leave your car at the end and get a ride to NFG. Also, be somewhat flexible on your starting time, as the road is often closed early in the morning if it's snowed overnight.

hikingshoes
12-13-2011, 20:32
Yes, better to leave your car at the end and get a ride to NFG. Also, be somewhat flexible on your starting time, as the road is often closed early in the morning if it's snowed overnight.
WOB and bigcranky thanks for the information. HS