PDA

View Full Version : got a ?

ArkVol
03-07-2005, 23:51
Is it ok to bash another website about AT hiking here?
Thanks

TJ aka Teej
03-07-2005, 23:55
Thanks
You might want to do a search first. Most everything that has been said has been said.

TDale
03-07-2005, 23:55
at least ten characters of no

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 00:04
Thanks
yes it had been done many times i found out, glad i'm not the only that feels the way i do.

steve hiker
03-08-2005, 00:14
Thanks
It's a time honored tradition. Especially if the target is Trailplace. :banana

hikerjohnd
03-08-2005, 00:17
Thanks
yes it had been done many times i found out, glad i'm not the only that feels the way i do.
Just a shot in the dark here - what did Wingnut do now? :D

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 00:17
good guess, I could bash this guy until the hell frezzes over then till have a few words to say.

steve hiker
03-08-2005, 00:19
good guess, I could bash this guy until the hell frezzes over then till have a few words to say.
Okay, so what did you say that got you banned?

hikerjohnd
03-08-2005, 00:22
Don't worry - you'll get over it! I got booted from his site for saying he was 'short sighted' on his opinion of Bryson. About two weeks later I found myself in a conversation with someone who considered Wingnut a good friend - even he said Wingy was a d*ck. So if his friends don't even like him, I don't feel obligated to. :D

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 00:25
Im not banned yet, actually i was banned three years ago, but joined again for some dumb reason a few days ago, but he has already deleted two of my post, when me and few other members didnt agree with him about something that he knew nothing about.

He makes me not want to hike the AT, if everyone acts like him i want nothign to do with hiking. He needs to leave the poltics of his site if you can respond in in a civil manner to his post without geting kicked of.
I better stop at that before i get booted from here.
David

A-Train
03-08-2005, 00:40
This site is a support group for trailplace banishers. Welcome aboard.

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 01:02
I'm about to get kicked off I just challenged him in his "No Republican" forum section.

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 01:09
I just canceled my membership before I gave him the satisfaction of kicking me off his site.

I think the real reason he moved from the hills of NC was for his own good, before the real mountain folk tore him a new a$$hole. He fits in better in Atlanata anyway. lol

Hikerhead
03-08-2005, 01:43
Welcome aboard. We only have two rules. If you don't mention "Wilderness" or "Benton McKaye" everything will be just fine. :)

Lugnut
03-08-2005, 01:44
I better stop at that before i get booted from here.
David

It's pretty much impossible to get booted here. That's why we have so many "interesting" posts. You'll find this site is the Gold Standard!

catfishonrye
03-08-2005, 12:41
so i'd been trying to stay outta the whole whiteblaze vs. trailplace mess and had been visiting both sites regularly- i finally got around to posting a thread on trailplace the other day and when i went to check for responses, it was gone- i thought i had messed up posting, but this thread explains a lot- guess i'll go get myself banned now, so i can be a real whiteblazer :cool:

Mags
03-08-2005, 12:58
I just canceled my membership before I gave him the satisfaction of kicking me off his site.

I think the real reason he moved from the hills of NC was for his own good, before the real mountain folk tore him a new a$$hole. He fits in better in Atlanata anyway. lol

I am not a Wingfoot fan by any means, but to be fair he is the primary care giver of his elderly parents. That is why he moved away. Whatever you may think of him, taking care of your parents is certaintly a good reason to move away from an AT trail town.

It is possible to not agree with somone without using insults. Personally, I choose not use his sight because find the way he runs his website to be more of a hindrance in sharing info on the AT. That is far as my criticism will go of WF. No need to make it personal.

Anyway, safe to say many on this site are traiplace refugees be it by choice or otherwise.

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2005, 12:59
guess i'll go get myself banned now, so i can be a real whiteblazer
Not cool, catfish. Wingy's website has rules, and you should follow them if you want to participate there. If you don't want to be a member anymore, just log out, and send Wingy an email saying why if you must have a 'last word.'

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2005, 13:10
He makes me not want to hike the AT, if everyone acts like him I want nothing to do with hiking.
Don't let the actions of one person turn you off from AT hiking, David. He's just an ex-hiker with a website, and has nothing to do with the real AT community.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2005, 13:13
ArkVol, he hasn't hiked for the past 13 years. He's no authority or expert.

A-Train
03-08-2005, 13:16
Don't let the actions of one person turn you off from AT hiking, David. He's just an ex-hiker with a website, and has nothing to do with the real AT community.

I'd say he has a lot to do with the "real" community. The majority of thru-hikers today are still carrying his book, and getting their information from him (no matter how he really acquired it). Not only that, but there are still MANY prospective thru-hikers on his list using his info at face value. He is out of touch with modern gear, trail culture, new resupply places, but he is still has plenty to do with the AT community as long as people keep supporting his book. Everyone on the trail knew his name. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Earl and RnR's boy Mackaye.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2005, 13:23
ArkVol:

1. First off, welcome to Whiteblaze.
2. Secondly, you can pretty much talk about anything you want here, within reasonable limits. This includes other Trail websites.
3. You should be aware that the whole Trailplace thing has been done to death here, and except for a tiny of fraction of folks who hold some sort of lifelong grudge because they were thrown of that site and have dedicated a significant portion of their Internet lives to re-hashing the matter, most folks here are pretty much sick and tired of discussing the matter.
4. Getting tossed of of someone's website, is not, in the vast scheme of things, that big a deal.
5. But to re-iterate #2 above, you can certainly talk about this if you want. But to be totally honest with you, this matter has been discussed ad nauseum here, most folks would rather not spend time debating this insignificant matter, and it would be nice if your reasons for joining us here at Whiteblaze and sticking around (which I hope you do) have more behind them than your desire to initiarte yet another Trailplace-bashing thread. In God's honest truth, 99% of the people here think there are more wothwhile things to talk about.

Mags
03-08-2005, 13:44
I Everyone on the trail knew his name. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Earl and RnR's boy Mackaye.

That't sad. People not knowing who Earl, Mackaye (and presumbalby), Avery are.

RockyTrail
03-08-2005, 14:50
That't sad. People not knowing who Earl, Mackaye (and presumbalby), Avery are.
What?... no way!...why Earl Scruggs is the grandaddy of 5-string banjo pickers, he's a legend :)

(just kidding, as I dodge the boot thrown across the room)

Nean
03-08-2005, 15:38
I have dealt with organizations that are more interested in censorship (POWER and CONTROL) than open honest discussion and it had nothing to do with Dan. I'm told its "just human nature". I think it is different with Wingfoot. His site is his alone, and while I may not agree to all his methods or opinions he should be free to run his site however he likes. Like that can of soda at the trailhead, it doesn't have to ruin your hike. Take it or leave it...

catfishonrye
03-08-2005, 15:57
Not cool, catfish. Wingy's website has rules, and you should follow them if you want to participate there. If you don't want to be a member anymore, just log out, and send Wingy an email saying why if you must have a 'last word.'i was joking dude, based on what others in the thread had shared- thing is, what i find annoying is that i did want to participate in the site, and i tried, but my post got deleted- i said nothing that could have been construed as offensive to anybody- in fact, it was basically the same thing i posted here about a month ago, and i received no negative comments then- i agree with you- rules are acceptable and i'll willingly obey them- tyranny on the other hand, well, that's a different story...

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 19:34
I am not a Wingfoot fan by any means, but to be fair he is the primary care giver of his elderly parents. That is why he moved away. Whatever you may think of him, taking care of your parents is certaintly a good reason to move away from an AT trail town.

It is possible to not agree with somone without using insults. Personally, I choose not use his sight because find the way he runs his website to be more of a hindrance in sharing info on the AT. That is far as my criticism will go of WF. No need to make it personal.

Anyway, safe to say many on this site are traiplace refugees be it by choice or otherwise.
He was and is a jack ass way before he moved to Atlanta, my mother and dad took care of my grand parents for several years and they didnt become jerks.

One thing I dont like is his narrow minded attitude, he wants to spout off his mouth on hi sbeliefs but you cant say one thing about what you believe.

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 19:38
One last thing, I just hope most people i meet on the AT or hikers themseleves are not like him.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2005, 19:39
I love Bush/Cheney.

plodder
03-08-2005, 19:47
Bet you threw in that "/ Cheney" to keep it PG13.

steve hiker
03-08-2005, 20:27
One thing I dont like is his narrow minded attitude, he wants to spout off his mouth on hi sbeliefs but you cant say one thing about what you believe.
Wingfoot is a typical "p.c." weenie, he thinks his views are the only correct ones and if you dare voice a contrary viewpoint, he just goes ballistic.

One Leg
03-09-2005, 02:19
I'm one who was censored on Wingfoot's website. I took the matter up with him privately through an instant message, opted out of his website and everything was cool.

I'm adult enough that I can be friendly toward someone who has an opinion different from my own. We all run into people in our lives outside of the internet who could be termed as "know-it-alls". This doesn't mean that they are necessarily 'bad people'. A little misguided maybe, but not bad.

I do have a lot of respect for the him in the way that he takes care of his parents. Many others would just stick them in a human warehouse dubbed a "nursing home" and go on with their own lives.

And, I do hope that he's able to get back out on the trail this year after such a long hiatus. It'd be downright comical to see him navigate around using nothing but his own book. (Ok, I stepped outside of the line here...I'll shaddup)

One-Leg

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2005, 02:42
I love Bush/Cheney.

LW, please keep your love life to yourself ;)

ffstenger
03-09-2005, 04:32
ArkVol, First welcome to WB. You'll find it is a very open and comfortable place to be. I'm never dissapointed trying to find information and trail friends
here. It's also nice to see a fellow Mid-states hiker on board ! see ya on the trail. Showme :cool:

Mags
03-09-2005, 11:55
He was and is a jack ass way before he moved to Atlanta, my mother and dad took care of my grand parents for several years and they didnt become jerks.

Just trying to correct the misconception that he moved away because the locals hated him. He did not. Taking care of elderly parents is certainly a valid (and noble) reason to move away.

As I said, I do not agree with the way Wingfoot runs his site. Think it is less helpful and informatve because of that reason. I will not be a member of Trailplace and will not suggest it for people interested in the AT. Does not mean I have to insult WF as a person.

It is funny. WF the person and WF the internet personality are two different people. The one time I met WF (granted, back in '98) he was very personable, informative and seemed excited to meet hikers. The online WF has some very definite ideas about the AT that most people (myself included) do not neccessarily agree with. He also likes to enforce that one and only view on his website. Not my way of doing things, but it is not my website.

Rather than insult the man (which does not accomplish anything), I just will not use his resource.

You will find Whiteblaze to be very helpful and informate. Ton of experienced hikers and different viewpoints. We will occasionally stay a bit and discuss other issues (just like a shelter at the AT! :D), but overall the site is very friendly and helpful. Have a question, ask away. As Jack said, the whole WF issue has been discussed to death. Time for other topics.

Just my .05 worth.

des1020
03-09-2005, 13:30
I just put a post on WF site about those 4 stranded hikers and he deleted my post. Nothing offensive in it. He probably didn't like the link to the story on FoxNews.com.

Will be doing my first section hike in May (GSMNP) and have been looking at both sites for information, but rarely posting. I have now deleted TP from my favorites and am welcoming myself to WhiteBlaze.

Marta
03-09-2005, 14:23
Y'all got me curious about Trailplace. I had never seen it before. So I went to it and found a thread, started by Wingfoot, about the Smoky Mtn. rescue going on now. Perhaps the deletion is not a sinister power play, but a simple weeding out of repetitive information.

Marta

SGT Rock
03-09-2005, 14:30
Naw, he has a very tight rule about referring to another website, no matter what it is. There are ways to get a link over there, but do not post it in a thread. I just got a new membership over there today, and found it funny that the word Whiteblaze is censored by his software.

oldfivetango
03-09-2005, 14:33
ArkVol, he hasn't hiked for the past 13 years. He's no authority or expert. Don't be so sure about that LW-he OWNS the AT and let's the rest of
of us use it 'cause he's GOD-or is it Rush who is God?I forget.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango;)