PDA

View Full Version : Hiking MA-ME in Two Months?

tcha5782
12-07-2011, 12:06
I was hoping to get some input from the crowd: I've got roughly two months give or take a week this summer and hope to finish the hike that I started in 2010. I made it from Springer to the CT/MA border before stopping to go to grad school.

Now that I'm graduating this coming May, I'll have some time before working in the fall and would like to pick up where I left off. If I were to wait until June 1 to try to avoid the worst of the bugs and mud season, does it sound realistic to reach Katahdin by August 1? I'm making a concerted effort to be in much better shape than I was when I started my hike in 2010, and to carry less unnecessary gear. I've heard, however, of how difficult NH and ME can be, and I won't have the hiking legs that I would have had after 3.5 months of hiking if I had started in Georgia. I had originally assumed that 60 days would be fine for 700 miles, even including a couple of zeros, but I don't want to ruin the experience by feeling incredibly rushed or physically drained.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

bamboo bob
12-07-2011, 12:17
I was at MA border 7/16/2002 and summited 9/7/2002 I was 53 at the time so you ought to do fine.

Slo-go'en
12-07-2011, 13:06
Only one way to find out, go for it. MA/VT aren't that hard, so you'll be able to get your trail legs back without too much pain. Your already well experianced with hiking the trail, so that is a big plus - your not learning as you go. You only need to average 11.7 MPD, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

lunatic
12-07-2011, 16:15
Agree with Slo-go'en, it's definitely possible. I think you'll be surprised how fast your hiking legs come back once you've hiked that much, and it IS a big plus that you're not learning as you go. Just let it come to you - don't try to go out and fly down the trail from the start and you'll make it.

Driver8
12-07-2011, 17:49
By the time you get to Glencliff, tcha, you'll have hiked 300 of the 700 miles, so you should be good and ready for the Whites by then. Sounds like a good plan, and I wish you well.

tcha5782
12-07-2011, 22:29
Thanks for the encouragement, all. I just wanted some confirmation that it wasn't a crazy plan. I know the Trail will always be there, but it's going to feel great to continue the journey out there and hopefully make it end to end before these long gaps in school/work become a thing of the past (I can only hope!!) Things I can't wait for: having no agenda or items on my calendar; sleeping out under the stars; hiker hunger; making connections after meeting people for just a day or two; the taste of mountain spring water; not carrying my cell phone; seeing the sun rise while NOT walking to school or commuting. The bugs are pretty much the only thing I won't be happy to see and feel; thank goodness for bug nets.

Sarcasm the elf
12-07-2011, 22:40
1) Yes, the SOBO's I've talked to in southern MA usually got there in less than two months.

2) Does it matter how far you make it? If you have the time and savings what better way is there to spend the summer?

map man
12-07-2011, 23:07
How long did it take you to hike from GA through CT in 2010? If it took 4 months or less you are unlikely to have trouble hiking MA to ME in two months, barring illness or injury. If it took significantly longer than 4 months then you might be pushing it.

DLANOIE
12-08-2011, 03:07
It sounds like you have a good plan and a good head. Have a great hike and be safe.

tcha5782
12-08-2011, 15:30
1) Yes, the SOBO's I've talked to in southern MA usually got there in less than two months.

2) Does it matter how far you make it? If you have the time and savings what better way is there to spend the summer?

I know you're right, but given that I have another hard stop, it's similar to when I set out in 2010... I would have enjoyed the experience of spending 99 days and making it all the way to Kent, or Salisbury, or even just that AMC lodge in New Jersey. But to have been only miles from camp and not get to enjoy the experience of some kind of arrival would have caused at least a small portion of anguish. I think if I were to be honest with myself, I'd have to say that a more accurate statement would be "it's mostly the journey, and not just the destination" rather than the say the destination doesn't matter at all. All things equal, a climactic end would be better than one that's not.

And I guess if I thought it'd be too tough to get to Katahdin in two months, I would probably choose to cut the trip shorter and make plans to spend more time with friends and family. Speaking of, if you happen to have any time in the summer and would be interested in heading up north, let me know! It'd be great to catch up. I'll also be around in May here and there.

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2011, 00:59
I know you're right, but given that I have another hard stop, it's similar to when I set out in 2010... I would have enjoyed the experience of spending 99 days and making it all the way to Kent, or Salisbury, or even just that AMC lodge in New Jersey. But to have been only miles from camp and not get to enjoy the experience of some kind of arrival would have caused at least a small portion of anguish. I think if I were to be honest with myself, I'd have to say that a more accurate statement would be "it's mostly the journey, and not just the destination" rather than the say the destination doesn't matter at all. All things equal, a climactic end would be better than one that's not.

And I guess if I thought it'd be too tough to get to Katahdin in two months, I would probably choose to cut the trip shorter and make plans to spend more time with friends and family. Speaking of, if you happen to have any time in the summer and would be interested in heading up north, let me know! It'd be great to catch up. I'll also be around in May here and there.

Hey Tim, I totally understand what you mean, I'm just saying that you shouldn't put this off even if you're worried about having enough time. It's awesome that you've got a chance to finish the section you have left before starting a new career. Take it from this office jockey, making it to the trail doesn't get any easier once you've got a professional job.

I'm up for a hike whenever you're free, once you know the dates you'll be around just shoot me a message on facebook so I can plan for it. Also, don't forget that you're still a good bit faster than I am, I'm always glad to hit the trail as long as I'm not slowing you down.

lemon b
12-10-2011, 13:53
Tcha should be no problem at your age. Heck I'm temped to check out from work & hike at the same time. Done that a bunch of times. The issue is the water crossings in Maine. I've used both a 20 and 0 bag. Kinda wierd cause the older I get seems like the 20 works. Haul a small tent. Food is tricky in Southern Vt.