PDA

View Full Version : Map question (not again!)

HockeyGirl
12-07-2011, 13:35
Howdy

In my quest to decide if maps are for me next year, I wondered if anyone could possibly take pity on me and consider doing the following - scan a single map for me (one that you'd by from the ATC) so I can see what's on the thing?!

I don't want to fork out $200 on a map that I may or may not find useful - unfortunately the ATC site only shows the covers, not what an actual map looks like, and the google images I keep pulling up are showing pretty basic detail, something I wouldn't consider worth the money.

Can someone help me please?:o
Thanks!

Mike2012
12-07-2011, 14:03
I love a good map and and am headed NOBO in March so I'm interested too.

Creek Dancer
12-07-2011, 14:47
Howdy

In my quest to decide if maps are for me next year, I wondered if anyone could possibly take pity on me and consider doing the following - scan a single map for me (one that you'd by from the ATC) so I can see what's on the thing?!

I don't want to fork out $200 on a map that I may or may not find useful - unfortunately the ATC site only shows the covers, not what an actual map looks like, and the google images I keep pulling up are showing pretty basic detail, something I wouldn't consider worth the money.

Can someone help me please?:o
Thanks!

The whole set might be $200; a single map runs less than $10. I would have to check the website to be sure. Copying an single map would be difficult due to the size, and might possibly be a copyright violation if distributed.

Most AT maps show where the trail runs through the area, the topographical detail, some distance calculations, water sources, camping areas, shelters, and a profile map (which I find most useful). Can't remember what else. The maps are very useful and, in my opinion, should be part of your gear.

Amanita
12-07-2011, 15:26
I think that each set of maps is done by a separate maintaining club, and updated at different times. For example I have a CT map with full color, and a VT/NH map that's black, white, and red only. They have different keys, and show miles differently. Both have topo lines.

You may want to look into buying a used set from someone. I know that a gear store near me buys/sells used maps. And going into an outfitter could let you gets hands on with some of the maps.

Lemni Skate
12-07-2011, 15:37
Since you're in the UK it's obviously hard to find these in a store to get a look so I sympathize. The maps tend to take a lot of different forms. I personally like them, but I'm not sure how much you "need" them for hiking the AT. They generally have the locations of shelters and some springs and most streams on them and road crossings. A very few landmarks are also on them. Nearby towns with the services available are also on these maps. Most people use the trail profile section which shows how much the trail goes "up and down" as you hike it (though people argue about how accurate this is). Some maps have details about the trail written up on them and they are nice in that they are "waterproof." I personally like having them with me and I refer to them quite a bit, but more out of curiosity about what's coming up ahead on the trail and what kind of progress I'm making that any sense of worry that I'm lost. If you're trying to go "ultra-light" I wouldn't worry about the maps, but if you don't mind the extra couple ounces then take a map with you. I know when I take mine out every hiker around crowds around me to see where they are.

HockeyGirl
12-07-2011, 16:56
Being from the UK I'm used to using our Ordnance Survey maps 1:25000 which are extremely detailed and excellent to use for navigation and have pretty much every feature of the landscape marked on them - detouring made simple.
So I was a little disappointed with the images I'd seen so far which seem to be a line marking the AT and pointing out shelters and nearby roads and nothing else - it seemed very little use especially as I was going to carry the AT Guide (AWOL) which seems to have topo/distance info anyway?

I don't need anyone to copy a whole map, I really did just want to see a section for detail purposes is all.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Blissful
12-07-2011, 21:23
Best to go ahead an purchase one from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.atctrailstore.org/) - the funds also help the trail. There are probably one or two places I found the maps kind of tedious. But on the whole I believe they are needed and necessary to trail safety.

Blissful
12-07-2011, 21:24

fadeleaf
12-07-2011, 21:52
Don't know if this is much help, but here's part of the first map. (was on my computer from a project I was doing this semester)

Sorry, but don't have a pic of the full thing...

map man
12-07-2011, 22:41
Here is a link to the map for Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a map in the National Geographic Trails Illustrated series. For this section of the AT this is also the official AT map that the AT Conservancy sells. This map shows more of the surrounding area than a typical AT map. It is fairly typical of other AT maps in scale (1:70,000, though they vary in scale somewhat because different local agencies produce maps for different geographical areas on the AT) and in the way this map shows things like the trail prominently marked and water sources and shelters, and is overlayed onto a topo map with contour lines, as is typical of other AT maps.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_229

When you get to this page click on the magnifying glass icon to go to the map viewer, then choose which side of the map you want to view and manipulate the slider to zoom in and out. This is an exact copy of the paper map. Hope this helps.

HockeyGirl
12-08-2011, 06:55
Thanks for the pictures! That has really helped.

I'm thinking I like the Nat Geo maps better - seems more what I'm used to just on a different scale.
Has anyone used these for their hike? Any comments good or bad?

I do appreciate the usefulness of a map and want to be prepared :)

Just out of interest - looked at the ATC shop and they sell them individually and not as a bundle - can anyone confirm that all the maps they list cover the entirity of the AT? Anyone bought them from there?

Thanks again - you guys are awesome. :D

jersey joe
12-08-2011, 11:34
Here is a link to the map for Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a map in the National Geographic Trails Illustrated series.
I actually thought that the GSMNP map from national geographic was least like all of the other maps that the different clubs put out along the trail. The profile is tiny and the map isn't focused as much on the AT.
On a separate but related note, it looks like the NY/NJ trail conference is coming out with new maps in January, 10th edition.
http://www.northjersey.com/recreation/135226098_New_York-NJ_Trail_Conference_to_unveil_10th_edition_of_trai l_maps_.html

jersey joe
12-08-2011, 11:39
Just out of interest - looked at the ATC shop and they sell them individually and not as a bundle
They do sell the maps as a bundle(cheaper if you are a member). https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1

DaveSail
12-08-2011, 19:38
Anti Gravity Gear sells sets of small srtip - maps . About 3 3/4" ( 10 cm ) by 17" ( 42 cm ) aprox. Folded in thirds .
3 3/4" x 5 3/4" . One side is a normal map of the trail . Shows features , shelters , towns , etc. The other side is
an elevation map . Mileage across the top in 3 - mile - sections . Shows shelters , peaks , water - sources , etc.

The sets vary in price . Below is the cheapest set ; ( I think ) . $ 15.80 US plus a bit for shipping . Come in a
small zip - lock bag . Would probably stay dry if you don't take them swimming . Below is a link for that set :

http://www.antigravitygear.com/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-mid-atlantic-region-elevation-profile-map-set-harpers-ferry-wv-to-pawling-ny.html