PDA

View Full Version : Te-Wa Overquilt

mdp9
12-07-2011, 13:58
Does anyone have any experiences- good or bad- with the Te-Wa top quilts? http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1535774

I believe they primarily serve those who camp with hammocks, but they also offer a reasonably priced top quilt for a tent camper. After looking at GoLite, Nunatak, and Jacks R Better, Te-Wa has the lowest price for what I'm looking for: rated to 20 degrees, light, and "short" length for my 2012 thru hike.

TyTy
12-07-2011, 14:48
Check out www.enlightenedequipment.com before you pull the trigger.

dla
12-11-2011, 12:39
Before you spend your money, take some time and think through (a) how you are going to sleep and (b) how big are you. A quilt has to either drape over you or be able to attach to your pad. If the quilt isn't wide enough it will pull tight on your shoulder creating a cold spot (or it will lift on the edge creating a draft. A sewn in foot box will be much to hot on warm evenings. Just some things to think about.

Wags
12-11-2011, 13:22
I spent a good portion of time on HF. TeWa gets a lot of praise on that site (in fact, i've never heard anything negative towards him). Like DLA said, if you were going to be sleeping primarily on the ground, then you'd probably want your quilt a little wider than one made specifically for the hammock. I'm certain TeWa would customize the size for you. Maybe even trading off the shorter length to make it wider. Definitely worth an email to him...

Disagree about the sewn footbox being too warm. All you have to do is simply kick your feet out for a bit...

Two Tents
12-11-2011, 14:22
I know he was happy to make me a custom ( shorter and wider than norm.)under quilt. The work was top notch and time to ship was quick. I can't see why he couldn't fix up just what you want for a top quilt. Like Wags said I've heard nothin but good about TeWa.

leaftye
12-11-2011, 15:36
I would definitely go with the EnLIGHTened Equipment quilt. It costs a little less, is already wide enough, and offers a type of footbox that allows for a wider range of comfort.

Odd Man Out
12-11-2011, 16:50
I too have been shopping quilts. It seems every week I see a couple of more highly regarded companies to consider.

WRT width, I see that on the Enlightened site's Sizing page they have info on recommended widths based on various parameters (hammock/ground, side/back, slim, non slim, etc).

Not endorsing Enlightened, per se (not yet purchased), but I suspect the info would be useful for any top quilt you might order.

Also, about the sewn foot box. Don't most top quilts that are sewn on the bottom have an open end (with a draw string) to allow venting based on temperature?