PDA

View Full Version : New Backpacker - Training is an interesting experience.

smithjerd
12-08-2011, 19:30
I've been a cyclist for lots of years and have done some extended touring on bikes. Cyclists say that their best experiences are when they aren't even conscious of being on a bike. The bike simply disappears as part of the experience.

I'm new to backpacking and am leaving from Springer NOBO in late March. I started seriously training about two months ago and have been gradually increasing my pack weight and hiking distance. The past two weeks in particular I've noticed that I'm having the same experience with my backpack that I've had when I get into decent shaping cycling -- my back pack is simply disappearing from the experience. I'm currently carrying about 34 lbs and am hiking the trails here in the Raleigh NC area, and trying to find the most strenuous trails available in my limited area. When I started, I was aware of my pack all the time. Now I only notice it occasionally, and most of the time it's totally out of my consciousness. I'm feeling really psyched up.

Is this a common experience as you get into shape?

I've been planning an AT thru hike for more than 10 years, and am looking forward to being on the trail.

Jerome

Camping Dave
12-08-2011, 19:41
Your backpack disappeared from your cycling experience? ;)

Just like cycling or long distance running, the training is mostly mental. If you make it past the first 30 days your body will be in shape. Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Distance-Hiking-Lessons-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0070444587

Lots of good gouge.

DaveSail
12-08-2011, 19:44
The " other side " is neat too ! Once you are used to the pack , and hike with it off , it seems like you are
weightless or flying ! Like if you are on a sailboat for a day , ( non - calm seas ) , and then go ashore , it
seems as if the ground is moving like the water !

David V. Webber

Rasty
12-08-2011, 20:36
Have been to Raven Rock state park? This park has some nice trails. Both camping areas have water that can be filtered. Don't get water from the cape fear. Obtain from small streams nearby .

Blissful
12-08-2011, 20:41
You're doing just fine. The backpack and you become one. :)

blackbird04217
12-08-2011, 21:07
It was a noticeable pattern for me. I would start to feel like it was just me on the trail walking along, and I'd stop in town. Wake up reminder rather quick, and a few days later it feels like nothing. Repeat.

smithjerd
12-08-2011, 21:29
Have been to Raven Rock state park? This park has some nice trails. Both camping areas have water that can be filtered. Don't get water from the cape fear. Obtain from small streams nearby .

A former AT thru hiker I met on the trail also suggested Raven Rock. I've been there for some day hikes without a pack and the trails didn't seem that challenging, so I've spend most of my time in Umstead. I've also been up at Eno River SP doing Cox Mountain which provides about a 1/2 mile of uphill with a slope that I expect is the norm in Georgia (my imagination, no experience at all). I stopped halfway on the way up to catch my breath, and intend to go back and spend some time just going up and down the 'mountain' a few times.

So far, I haven't had any problems with blisters, but then I haven't hiked in wet socks yet. My most irritating experience has been some chaffing, but a pair of longer legged synthetic underwear and some 'Glide' roll-on has alleviated that.

I hope to find my way to Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain SP in the new few months to find some more hills.

Thanks,

Jerome

Creek Dancer
12-08-2011, 22:32
A former AT thru hiker I met on the trail also suggested Raven Rock. I've been there for some day hikes without a pack and the trails didn't seem that challenging, so I've spend most of my time in Umstead. I've also been up at Eno River SP doing Cox Mountain which provides about a 1/2 mile of uphill with a slope that I expect is the norm in Georgia (my imagination, no experience at all). I stopped halfway on the way up to catch my breath, and intend to go back and spend some time just going up and down the 'mountain' a few times.

So far, I haven't had any problems with blisters, but then I haven't hiked in wet socks yet. My most irritating experience has been some chaffing, but a pair of longer legged synthetic underwear and some 'Glide' roll-on has alleviated that.

I hope to find my way to Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain SP in the new few months to find some more hills.

Thanks,

Jerome

Welcome to WB! The Raleigh area has some great parks and trail systems! As you may have found out already, the Mountain to Sea Trail runs through this area mostly along Falls Lake. Unfortunately, there aren't any mountains nearby that come even close to what you will experience in Georgia. Cox Mountain is probably only about a 300 foot climb over 1/2 mile, at the most, which is a mere bump on the AT. But it's great that you are doing whatever you can to physically prepare for your journey.

wornoutboots
12-08-2011, 22:54
Most definately, the longer you hike the pack will disappear from your mind! Happy Hiking & Welcome to WB

garlic08
12-09-2011, 11:09
No, I can't really say that's ever happened to me. I'm pretty much always aware of my pack, even when it's very light. But then again, I'm also an avid touring cyclist and I'm always aware of my bike, too.

Be careful, though. Unlike cycling, where you can't cycle without a bike, you can walk without a backpack. It might be dangerous to leave your pack behind. I can see getting into a great campsite and realizing you don't have your pack with you!

chief
12-09-2011, 13:44
Once, while out for a Sunday drive, I forgot I was driving and got out of my moving car to aid a crashed biker who had forgotten he was on a bike. We both managed to avoid my driverless car by diving into a flooded ditch where we encountered a nearly drowned hiker who had forgotten he was wearing a heavy pack.

chief
12-09-2011, 13:50
My car was finally stopped by a sturdy fence post after running over the bike. The biker, the hiker and myself were okay. The kid sitting on the fence post was no longer laughing.

Spokes
12-09-2011, 13:59
Smithjerd, I concur with your assessment.

I did a solo cross-country bicycle trip in 2008 then thru hiked the AT in 2009. I noted in my online bicycle journal (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=3502&v=138) of a Zen moment when all I felt like on the bike was a head with arms holding onto the handlebars- everything from the neck down was oblivious to me. A similar experience occurred with the backpack on the trail.

Most folks have no idea what we're talking about...... so just smile and enjoy the sensation.

George
12-09-2011, 14:30
the last hours of the first day leaving a town I am aware of the pack, makes good motivation to eat that weight

smithjerd
12-09-2011, 21:21
Smithjerd, I concur with your assessment.

I did a solo cross-country bicycle trip in 2008 then thru hiked the AT in 2009. I noted in my online bicycle journal (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=3502&v=138) of a Zen moment when all I felt like on the bike was a head with arms holding onto the handlebars- everything from the neck down was oblivious to me. A similar experience occurred with the backpack on the trail.

Most folks have no idea what we're talking about...... so just smile and enjoy the sensation.

lol, My pack reappeared today at mile 11 of a 13 mile hike. But for the last mile, someone joined me on the trail and we started chatting, and the next thing I knew I was back at my car. The mind is pretty amazing.

Odd Man Out
12-09-2011, 21:36
I had a similar experience canoeing in Tobin Harbor, Isle Royale NP. It was dead calm with cloudless sky. We were just floating in the middle of the harbor. The water was so clear you could see the bottom of the harbor, probably 50 to 100 feet below. The bottom was covered with waterlogged trees, probably hundreds of years old. Eventually, I forgot I was in a canoe and for an instant I had the feeling that I was suspended 100 feet above the ground with nothing below me. I grabbed the side of the canoe, thinking I was going to fall, which caused enough ripples in the water to destroy the illusion. But for a fraction of a second, it was very creepy.

Scorpion
12-11-2011, 13:18
I've also done some long distance biking, cross US and cross Canada. Thru-hiking though is in a different league than biking. Overall it's much harder. It sounds like you are going to be well prepared for your thru. If you have your gear right, and are in resonably good shape to start, you will be fine. Actually when I'm in good cardio shape from bike riding it goes a long way starting on the trail. Have a good thru.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

tridavis
12-11-2011, 20:23
Try the Uwharrie Trails. Alot of good climbs close to home.

Spokes
12-11-2011, 20:47
Try the Uwharrie Trails. Alot of good climbs close to home.

Be sure and check for ticks if you go during warm weather. Those Uwharrie ticks are evil little buggers!

chelko
12-14-2011, 12:36
The Uwharrie and Dutchmans Creek trails are great and close enough to Raliegh for a good weekend or two. Also try to get up to Mt rogers and get some AT miles in as well. It is worth the views.

smithjerd
12-14-2011, 22:39
:) I happily retired in July. I'm on the 6 Saturdays and a Sunday schedule. The Uwharrie trails are definitely on my todo list. Thanks for the suggestions.