PDA

View Full Version : On the Beaten Path

UCONNMike
03-08-2005, 14:24
I just finished reading "On the Beaten Path" by Robert Alden Rubin. It was a great book whihc documented his North Bound thru-hike on the AT. I read it in two days, just because i couldnt put it down. The only time i had difficulty reading was the end, I really didnt want to read about what it is liek to reach Katadyn, it's something i wanted to experience for myself this summer. But even that couldnt keep the pages closed for long, and read it to the end. I was floored by his discriptions and the emotion he was experiencing. I read Bill Brysons book "A Walk in the Woods" and while I enjoyed it, Rubin's book wsa more satisfying since he completed the entire trail. I would def pick up a copy and read Rubin's book.

weary
03-08-2005, 14:49
I think "On the Beaten Path" was by far the best written account of a thru hike that I've read. Rubin both likes hiking and is a professional writer and editor. The match shows in his superb book.

Bryson is a very skilled writer. His account is amusing. But he didn't tell me anything about the trail experience that I've seen, experienced, or known. He simply didn't enjoy the trail or the people who hiked the trail, so paid as little attention to such things as possible while fullfilling his book contract. It read to me like he had spent more time doing library research than walking.

Weary

TankHiker
03-08-2005, 14:57
I thought On The Beaten Path was okay. I thought at times he was a little over-dramatic, and somewhat uptight. I couldn't connect with the book all that much because I feel like I am a very different person than him.

For example, he had a long decision as to if he should take an openly gay hiker as a hiking partner. I didn't understand why this was such a hard decision, but I suppose it made for fairly entertaining reading.

I also got the feeling that he was not all that well-liked by his fellow hikers. He described how great it was one night toward the end to just hang out with other hikers. It made me think that he missed a major aspect of thru-hiking in cutting himself off socially.

It has been a long time since I have read it. And it probably is the best-written of all the AT memoirs, but not my favorite. (Personally, I like Trail Ways, Path Wise best). But that is just my opinion.

-TANK

U-BOLT
03-08-2005, 15:20
I thought it was a good read, and felt sorry for his wife who must have really thought he was leaving her.

Tim Rich
03-08-2005, 15:24
I'm about two-thirds of the way through it now, and it's a very good book. I tend to read more than one book at a time - it's a good contrast to American Soldier.

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2005, 16:51
Rhymin' Worm left poetical entries in the shelter registers as he hiked north:

http://www.path-at.org/ballad.html

hikerltwt
03-08-2005, 17:06
My copy of on the beaten path is well used. second to none. Rubin is the ATC editor now and I spoke with him when I went through harpers ferry on my hike. He is a nice person as well as a great writer!

Peaks
03-08-2005, 17:20
My copy of on the beaten path is well used. second to none. Rubin is the ATC editor now and I spoke with him when I went through harpers ferry on my hike. He is a nice person as well as a great writer!

I believe he has moved on and is now the former editor. Sometimes he posts here, so maybe he will chime in.

ArkVol
03-08-2005, 19:42
I too like Rubins book, but I really liked Mick Lowers book best so far. I have another book ordered on a thru hike, will post up when I finsih it.

Any one read Bryson's book on his trip to Australia? I really liked it too.

SGT Rock
03-08-2005, 20:29
I prefer Model T over Bryson, a much better book about hiking the AT and a lot funnier.

Nightwalker
03-08-2005, 22:38
Rhymin' Worm left poetical entries in the shelter registers as he hiked north:

http://www.path-at.org/ballad.html
Dude! I'm savin' that one. :D

Spirit Walker
03-09-2005, 12:14
Model T's book "Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery" gave a really accurate picture of thruhiking reality.

walkin' wally
03-09-2005, 14:26
Several months ago Robert Rubin had a poem published in the ATC magazine that was funny and interesting. It was titled " I Hate The Applachian Trail"

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2005, 14:30
Call me old-school, but I've always thought the single best thru-hiker memoir, hands down, is Shaffer's "Walking With Spring."

RITBlake
03-09-2005, 15:42
man, amazon lists happy side of misery at almost 37 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401020429/103-2073702-4282253

Anybody have a copy they'd be willing to swap or trade out for a while. I have a couple AT books including On the Beaten Path. 37 bucks is too steep for this hiker

SGT Rock
03-09-2005, 15:55
As I understand it, Model T had to front the book himself as a print on demand sort of thing, which is a shame since it is one of the better trail books IMO. that is part of why it is so much.

Bjorkin
03-09-2005, 15:56

Anybody have a copy they'd be willing to swap or trade out for a while. I have a couple AT books including On the Beaten Path. 37 bucks is too steep for this hiker

That's the hardcover version. The paperback version (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1401020410/ref=lpr_g_1/103-4578587-2779813?v=glance&s=books) is $26.99

2XL
03-09-2005, 20:22

I am about half way through the book now and could lend it to you when I finish.
What part of CT are you from?

RITBlake
03-09-2005, 20:35
I am about half way through the book now and could lend it to you when I finish.
What part of CT are you from?
Cheshire, but I'm up at school in Rochester NY. Mike my hiking partner is on whiteblaze (UCONNMike) and he is in Cheshire right now. Maybe we could we could work something out through him. That would be great.

2XL
03-09-2005, 20:42
I'll send you a message when I am done.
I could have a friend that travels that way drop it at the Grange Hall there.

UCONNMike
03-09-2005, 23:26
Cheshire, but I'm up at school in Rochester NY. Mike my hiking partner is on whiteblaze (UCONNMike) and he is in Cheshire right now. Maybe we could we could work something out through him. That would be great.
I am being volunteered for something...that I, if not a constant WB forum checker, was never told about. ;) just busting stones, I'd love to do a book switch, i need more reading.

hambone
03-09-2005, 23:26
I am actively searching this website for just these sorts of books.

I have already read (repeatedly, since it always makes me laugh) the Walk in the Woods book.

On the advice of a kind stranger I have been using www.addall.com (http://www.addall.com) to search for books. I like it because you can select the binding type and reorder the search results for any variable. It searches numerous other book sites.

I have purchased about 50 books using addall with no problems. You usually buy the book directly from some Mom & Pop bookstore, which I prefer to some corporate warehouse.

And no advertisements!

Any other suggestions for narrative account of hiking the AT or similar adventures?