PDA

View Full Version : Leaving car at Neels Gap and getting shuttle around to approach to Springer?

JustADude
12-10-2011, 10:05
Questions:
(1) Is it safe to leave the car at Neels Gap for a three day section hike?
(2) Is it possible to get a shuttle from Neels Gap to the approach for Springer?
(3) Is Hogpen Gap or Tesnatee Gap, since they only few miles further for this length section hike, i.e. safer place to park and easier to get a shuttle from these places.

P.S. The hike is planned for early/mid-FEB. Thanks a ton for any feedback. I'm a n00b, so looking for some good advice in the logistics area.

Storm
12-10-2011, 10:24
I think it would be much safer to park at the park and then get a shuttle back from Neels Gap. Have no knowledge about parking at Neels Gap. Also unless you are in pretty good shape this will be a pretty difficult section to do in three days. I know some people will disagree with that but you are looking at close to 40 miles counting the approach trail. It is doable but not easy.

HiKen2011
12-10-2011, 10:27
I think it would be much safer to park at the park and then get a shuttle back from Neels Gap. Have no knowledge about parking at Neels Gap. Also unless you are in pretty good shape this will be a pretty difficult section to do in three days. I know some people will disagree with that but you are looking at close to 40 miles counting the approach trail. It is doable but not easy.

I totally agree, doable but not easy.

FatMan
12-10-2011, 10:35
Parking anywhere in GA is safe. Does crap happen? Sure, but probably not more often than cars in driveways in your neighborhood. But if you want safest, then as stated in the above post park at AFSP.

There are lots of shuttle services that can get you from Neels to AFSP.

AFSP to Neels in 3 days for a noob might be a little aggressive. This might be a better reason to park at AFSP and then if you don't make it to Neels you will save yourself an additional shuttle fee. Lots of easy exit points between AFSP and Neels.

Red Hat
12-10-2011, 18:07
most folks that do Springer to Neel Gap in 3 days, start at Springer, not the approach.... however, doing it in Feb is iffy because the forest service road may not be accessible then. So plan on 4 days from the approach, park at the Byron Reese parking area (1/4 mile walk to Neel Gap), have your shuttle pick you up at Walasyi, have fun, stay warm and dry!

JustADude
12-11-2011, 09:50
Fantastic! Thanks for all the feedback.

Here are my "take aways":
(1) Sounds safe to leave car at Neels Gap (really best to park at Byron Reese parking area)
(2) Shuttle from Neelse to AFSP is no problem - distance is around 40+ miles so cost will be around $50+ per person or so...I guess those rates are pretty standard

Thanks again.

nitewalker
12-11-2011, 10:43
park at amicalola falls and you can then hike to neel gap. then hitch a ride from the gap back to your vehicle. i hiked to dicks creek gap and then hitched back to amicalola. the hitch back was a journey in itself. lots of people willing to pick u up in georgia, belive me..if i remember it took us about 3 hrs or so to do that hitch but the cost was nill. the experience was priceless.......good luck with your attack plan. i hope it goes well......