PDA

View Full Version : My boyfriend and I plan to leave for a nobo thru hike in late March or early April...

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 10:38
...my plan is to drive along as support and tent camp at as many sites as possible along the way while Mike hikes. How often will it be that he and I will not be able to meet at the end of the day?

Lone Wolf
12-10-2011, 10:43
a couple of nights in the smokys and a few other spots in the south and some places in the Whites and maine

Slo-go'en
12-10-2011, 13:05
Check out www.wardendoyle.com (http://www.wardendoyle.com) and see if the "circle hike" itinerary is still there. This was a van supported hike, where the hikers meet the van at road crossings every night for dinner and camping. If I remember right, the distances between road crossings used was usually 17 to 25 miles apart, but at least you would get a list of which places you can meet would be practical.

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 13:28
Couldn't find anything with the link but that would be very good information I need.
Check out www.wardendoyle.com (http://www.wardendoyle.com) and see if the "circle hike" itinerary is still there. This was a van supported hike, where the hikers meet the van at road crossings every night for dinner and camping. If I remember right, the distances between road crossings used was usually 17 to 25 miles apart, but at least you would get a list of which places you can meet would be practical.

map man
12-10-2011, 20:12
Try this: http://warrendoyle.com/

I don't believe Mr. Doyle is anybody's "warden.":rolleyes:

Mountain Mike
12-10-2011, 21:23
Very few nights as Lone Wolf said. In 88 a couple I met did this most of the AT after he got board with the trail.

generoll
12-10-2011, 23:24
you can slackpack him as far as Fontana and then meet him again at Newfound Gap and Davenport Gap and see him almost daily until you get well north.

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 23:35
Perfect. Thank You.

booney_1
12-11-2011, 00:24
Very few times will you be able to meet up at the end of the day. For your BF, the end of the day won't conveniently be at a road crossing or campground that is accessible by car. Most of the AT shelters are not that close to the road. I think it would also be mind boggingly difficult to coordinate.

Get a set of maps and take a stab at planning. You'll very quickly see how difficult this will be.

Sly
12-11-2011, 00:44
Very few times will you be able to meet up at the end of the day. For your BF, the end of the day won't conveniently be at a road crossing or campground that is accessible by car. Most of the AT shelters are not that close to the road.

While not many shelters are close to road crossings, there's no reason they can't camp at, or near, road crossings. Off hand I'd say they could easily meet at night for 80% of the time.

With a Delorme Gazetteer for each state, a Companion which has most road crossings and moderately high clearance vehicle, she should have little trouble.

Slo-go'en
12-11-2011, 12:04
While not many shelters are close to road crossings, there's no reason they can't camp at, or near, road crossings. Off hand I'd say they could easily meet at night for 80% of the time..

Indeed. The only question is if the BF is willing to hike the distance needed between roads, which can be spaced quite a bit farther apart then shelters. There will be a lot of 20+ mile days to do that. But then, since he will likely be slack packing these distances, it shouldn't be too hard to do...