PDA

View Full Version : Blisters and black toes

mmorgan
12-10-2011, 11:08
After an extensive search for boots I purchesed Asolo Fugatives. Wore them many times and thought they would be fine. On my first section hike my left foot was fine, felt great no problems, my right foot was a mess. By the end of the second day I had a blister on my right heel, by the end of the forth day my big toe on the right foot was turning black.
How come one foot is perfect and one is a mess and foot measurements show no difference?????

Cat in the hat
12-10-2011, 17:33
hmm... one boot got wet and held moisture? Outer oil treatments can cause problems especially at the toe.

Mountain Mike
12-10-2011, 17:56
Some people have different sized feet. You may want to take it to a cobbler & have the toe section streatched

rocketsocks
12-10-2011, 23:19
It could be your right foot is overpronating.Are your legs the same lenght?and do you have any back pains?I also tried on the "asolo" didn't work for my feet or wallet,went with the merril gtx mids all leather.They have worked well for me,it can be very frustrating finding a boot/shoe to wear good luck.

leaftye
12-11-2011, 00:36
Blisters can change the way you walk, which probably led to your toe getting damaged.

Papa D
12-11-2011, 09:24
I wear LaSportiva trail runners which I think are really just about the best long distance trail shoe going -- my main blister spots stay pretty much calloused over but I still get a few -- everybody does -- especially when it's wet. Also, if I don't have at least one black toe nail, I've probably been sitting on the couch too much. If your footwear fits good and is comfortable, you'll get past the blisters. A black toe every now and then means your laying down the miles -- that's probably a good thing.

Two Tents
12-11-2011, 11:28
A black toe every now and then means your laying down the miles -- that's probably a good thing. My boots fit great but when I crank out a big day AND do steep downhill stuff that's when the toenails take the hit.

bamboo bob
12-11-2011, 11:35
When my black toes heals, that's how I know it's time for the next hike!

Northern Lights
12-11-2011, 11:50
I don't often get blisters, but my first section hike of the AT Springer to Yellowcreek Gap. I got my first black toe. I was quite proud of it, showed anyone who was willing to look :D

johnnybgood
12-11-2011, 12:01
I agree with leaftye . The blister on your right heal altered the planting of that foot causing the toe to jam up against toe box . Two days of this likely caused the black toe.