PDA

View Full Version : Blisters and black toes

mmorgan
12-10-2011, 11:15
After an extensive search for boots I purchesed Asolo Fugatives. Wore them many times and thought they would be fine. On my first section hike my left foot was fine, felt great no problems, my right foot was a mess. By the end of the second day I had a blister on my right heel, by the end of the forth day my big toe on the right foot was turning black.
How come one foot is perfect and one is a mess and foot measurements show no difference?????

colonel r
12-10-2011, 11:40
Your two feet are different. One is always bigger than the other; plus one leg is always longer than the other. These two facts change the foot dynamics and how your feet react. You may also have a difference in heel profile that is causing a slip.

I have been plagued with this all my hiking life. My right foot is about a half size wider than the left and I have wide feet to begin with. Not only do I have to be trouble finding boots or trail runners that are basically sufficiently wide but then I have to play with the lacing on the right boot to allow it to be a little wider across the foot. Currently on the right foot I have two sets of laces. One for the bottom 4 eyelets that is permanently tied to allow that end to be wider and not cinch up when I tighten the top portion of the laces.

Runners world has an excellent section on tying your shoes to accommodate foot differences. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

I have a pair of all leather boots, Scarpa, that I have never been able to get the right boot sufficiently wide for a comfortable day hike. Now they are just expensive yard work boots.

You will have to experiment to get it right.

Col R

Storm
12-10-2011, 11:50
I have pretty much the same trouble. My right foot is just a little wider than my left foot. I bought a pair of shoe stretchers and widen out my boot. It probably only stretches an eighth of an inch, maybe less but it is enough to work. I do wear leather, Vasque Breeze, don't know how this would work on non leather shoes.

lemon b
12-10-2011, 13:31
It has to do with your heart. Keep on hiking and all will be well.

Nitrojoe
12-10-2011, 14:22
Its rare to hear of someone who doesent have foot problems. The older you get the more problems you have with your anatomy and it starts with those parts that take the physical punisments the most like the feet. Once you put a physical restraint around your foot you begin to exert pressure on the foot. In our society wearing shoes is the norm, but in some societies not wearing shoes or the wearing of a light weight sandle is the norm. I have foot problems also and mine has gradually increased over the years. Up untill I was forty I always wore a size 10.5 and a D width. Now I wear a 12 and a EE width. One foot is slightly larger then the other and I compensate it by wearing different sock thickneses. On my long distant hikes I keep close attention to any foot achs and when that happens I take off my shoes and realine my sock and message my foot. Dont worry about being left behine by the group or losing time because you had to stop, if you dont take care of the problem you will eventually be left way behine or be suffering for days with foot recovery.

mmorgan
12-10-2011, 14:24
It has to do with your heart. Keep on hiking and all will be well.

I fully intend to keep hiking. Next section is already in planned for this spring. Just curious that the blister indicates movement or friction in the area, the black toe indicates that the boot is too small. I'm not sure wheather to look for a boot that is larger or smaller or just lace the existing ones differently.

Echraide
12-11-2011, 12:09
Always buy shoes that fit the larger foot, you can add socks and tighten laces for the smaller foot. The black toe might mean you don't have enough padding in the front of your shoe. Are you using Ouch Pouches?

TyTy
12-12-2011, 12:55
The solution for me was stop using boots and wear hiking shoes, trail runners, or tennis shoes.

If the purpose of wearing boots it to protect your feet, and the boots are injuring your feet...then what is the point of wearing boots?

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 15:58
black toes happen when your toe gets jammed into the toe of the boot. Most people are wearing boots that are too small. Also, its a good idea to relace your shoes for up or downhill. before the downhill, cross your laces across the top of your arch before finishing tying the laces. this helps keep the foot from sliding into the front of your boot.and it doesnt matter trail runners or shoes, ive gotten black toes in running shoes. when I switched to a larger size, no more black toes.

leaftye
12-12-2011, 17:12
Why do you have two threads about this?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79123-Blisters-and-black-toes

SassyWindsor
12-13-2011, 01:21
Boot stretching, different boot lasts, foot-beds, etc, may be in your future. Stretching, for sure, if you indeed have two different foot sizes. Black toes can be caused undersized footwear and/or improper lacing.

SassyWindsor
12-13-2011, 01:23
Oh yea, to change lasts usually means changing the brand or series of boots from the ones you now have. In other words, going out and buying new ones.